+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: J.R.R. Tolkien- Lord Of The Rings Series

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar

J.R.R. Tolkien- Lord Of The Rings Series

What does everyone think of this series? Personally, it's my favorite book series.

Princess
    What I think? Excellent. Though I'd say you need to read "Silmarillon" (at least) for a more complete understanding of the story. (And of course, "Bilbo".)
    I read the LOTR the 1st time when I was 11-12, but the reading experience was quite different now when I re-read them as an adult. So many things went past me then....

I think that they're great. The first time I read them (5th grade) I thought it was boring, but when I reread them, they were a lot better. I've been trying to read the Silmarillion, but I keep putting it off.
    Gustav Holst was right!

I didn't care for them, though I admit to stalling out about 35 pages into The Two Towers. I didn't enjoy the way the main characters were constantly salvaged by glaring plot devices. I thought the characters themselves weren't delineated well enough for my liking. And the songs and descriptions were tiring. I do know that Tolkien was weaving a story about a place and a set of ideas and that these were more important to him than characterization. But I still enjoy a character-driven story whose plot is propelled by the fundamental traits and responses of the main characters.

The movies have been great fun, though.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I agree with you, Paulie. I found the whole series to be on the boring side (the songs were painful!). I didn't enjoy the ending either. In my opinion, a book shouldn't need 75 pages of wrap-up.
    It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    I love the LotR series. I'm re-reading them right now. Though, I really wanted to start with the Silmarillion (sp?).
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    I never read them til the movie was in the works. I felt like I missed something in the reading so I checked out the books on tape (unabridged) from the library and listened to the whole series. It made a lot more sense to me to hear it than it did to read. But then again, I listen to a lot of books.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

Walking Contradiction PhilosophyPhile's Avatar
    I just re-read Appendix A at the end of Return of the King...really helps in getting it all straight in the head (even clarified some of the movie story for me).

I think Tolkein was nothing short of a full-on genious for creating this entire past for a world that never was.

Tolkein was an excellent linquist and supposedly the languages he created (i.e., elvish, dwarvish and morgul) are complete and entire - you can actually learn to speak them like you could learn Spanish.

Not to mention that the story is just so rich in nuance and complexity, friendship and dedication...absolute classics.
    "Only one man understands me, and even he does not". - G.W.F. Hegel

Apparently, I am light years behind everyone. I didn't even know about the books until the movies came out. I watched the first movie and didn't have a clue what was going on, and it didn't impress me much I just wanted them to get where ever they were going with that dang ring.

Since every one seemed to love it so much I thought that I would get the books and read them and then watch the movies. I work with a guy who has seen the LOTR - ROTK 15 times, so he thinks I am a freak. I got the series of the books that included THE HOBBIT. I have started reading with THE HOBBIT, but I have not heard of the "Silmarillon".

Would someone fill me in on what this is? I don't really want to ask the guy I work with because I have already told him I thought he was crazy.

Also, should I have started Reading with "The Hobbit", or the first LOTR?

Quote Originally Posted by Susie
    Also, should I have started Reading with "The Hobbit", or the first LOTR?
    I would definetely start with The Hobbit. It will give you a lot of background that will help out when you read the rest.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast