+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: J.R.R. Tolkien- Lord Of The Rings Series

I read The Hobbit for the first time in high school and the Ring trilogy shortly thereafter,including the appendixes. I've read them several times since then. I've attempted the Silmarillon several times, but never gotten the whole way through.

The Hobbit is a wonderful book to read to your kids, although I found Tolkien's sentence structure to be awkward for "aloud" reading. I had never noticed it when I was just reading it to myself.

I read it to my kids a couple of years ago, when the movies were starting to come out and my son was hooked. He is now 11 and has read them at least three times, and more of the Silmarillon than I ever did. He has also read several biographies of Tolkien.

I enjoyed the movies, but kept saying "That wasn't in the book". Most of the changes I understood were for brevity, but I will never forgive Peter Jackson for leaving out Tom Bombadil.

I really enjoyed the soundtrack, especially from the Fellowship, and have the first two on cd.

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    I read the Hobbit after I read the first two books, and I it definitely put some things in perspective. I also have an unfinished tales book, which has some interesting tidbits and trivial info, but it definitely helps understand the books.

Quote Originally Posted by veejer

I enjoyed the movies, but kept saying "That wasn't in the book". Most of the changes I understood were for brevity, but I will never forgive Peter Jackson for leaving out Tom Bombadil.
    Along with a missing bit in the last movie (which I wont mention here for fear of spoiling), that was what I missed the most as well, veejer. He was one of my favorite characters. I understand that the time restraints probably proved difficult, though. If they kept everything in, each movie would have been 6 hours long.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Princess
    I didn't mind cutting out some parts of the story as much as I minded altering the story - especially I minded the altering of the characters. Changing the storyline a bit as an adaption to the film is ok, but changing the characters to behave "out of character" is not ok, in my mind. Without spoiling too much I think I can say that:

- Faramir is a 100% good guy in the books and changing that really bothered me.
    - Frodo never has any doubt whatsoever in Sam in the books, and that change bothered me very much too.
    - The ents are not "unaware" of what's going on with Saruman - Treebeard is wise beyond comprehension (he was there from the dawn of Arda), not just a funny, talking tree.
    - Merry and Pippin actually grow up in the books.
    - Gimli is not just there for dwarf tossing and other comical relief.
    - The omission of the scouring of the Shire left a very important message out of the films.
    (A few examples)

Anyway. I would suggest starting with "The Hobbit". It's an easy read, albeit somewhat childish. It's a lovely fairytale, and that was the intent when it was written. It's very different in style from the LOTR trilogy.
    Then read the LOTR.
    Then, if you are unsatisfied by some open ends (or simply can't get enough, lol), read Silmarillion.
    If you still need more, well, then go for all the other books - "Unfinished tales" is a pretty good one, for example.
    Hope you'll enjoy .
    Last edited by Modesty; 02-01-2004 at 05:11 PM.

Well, I have finished THE HOBBIT and it was great. I am glad that I read it first, it sure cleared up a few things from the movie I didn't quite get. I thought Bilbo was just a crazy ole man, (well, I guess he might be a little) but at least this cleared that up for me.

I am now reading the THE LORD OF THE RINGS, and so far it is pretty good.

Just read this thread and its interesting what you guys thought about the trilogy. I'm usually an avid reader however this is one book I just can't read. I can usually read anything however after getting into 50 pages of LOTR - The Fellowship of the Ring, I just gave up. The text, the way its so descriptive and its in-depth look into the individual characters - I just kept getting side tracked and kept having to re-read the last few pages to remember which character was being talked about.

Did any of you have these problems, or am I the only idiot who can't read this book?
    I rather lurk than post.

I felt tyhe samer way at times. You'll be reading on and on then suddenly realize that you're not sure what or who they're talking about. I also found the songs to be tedious. It was a great story though, so I pushed through and finished the Trilogy.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

No, Ravs, you're not the only one. I have to admit, I tended to skip over the songs, and just scan some of those loooooonnnggg descriptive passages. Now that I've read them countless times and know the story, I'm not as antsy to see what happens next so I do slow down and pay more attention to that stuff. But I understand you getting bogged down in it. My advice -- skip over the bits that bore you and enjoy the story.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    No, Ravs, you're not the only one. I have to admit, I tended to skip over the songs, and just scan some of those loooooonnnggg descriptive passages. Now that I've read them countless times and know the story, I'm not as antsy to see what happens next so I do slow down and pay more attention to that stuff. But I understand you getting bogged down in it. My advice -- skip over the bits that bore you and enjoy the story.

Thanks Lucy, much appreciated. I guess I do try to absorb everything in when I read. Nice to know, I'm not the only one....
    I rather lurk than post.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123