+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: J.R.R. Tolkien- Lord Of The Rings Series

DOMESTIC GODDESS realitycrazmom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Susie
    I got the series of the books that included THE HOBBIT. I have started reading with THE HOBBIT, but I have not heard of the "Silmarillon".

Would someone fill me in on what this is? I don't really want to ask the guy I work with because I have already told him I thought he was crazy.

Also, should I have started Reading with "The Hobbit", or the first LOTR?
    Let me recommend you read The Hobbit and The Silmarillion before sinking your teeth into the LOTR trilogy.

My reasons:
    The Silmarillion is all about the elves and gives a great history/background about them prior to coming to Middle-Earth. It's a tough read with lots of names and places, but worthwhile!

The Hobbit is all about the dwarves, Bilbo, Gollum, and Gandalf. This gives a great history/background about them (especially the dwarves!) The Hobbit is more of a children's book and easier to read. (Will give you a nice "breather" after The Silmarillion and before tackling the LOTR trilogy.)

These two books give great insight and knowledge of these different races separately, then when they come together for a common purpose in the LOTR trilogy, there is a better understanding of the characters involved.

Yes, I am a "Ringnut" and proud of it!
    If I'd been a ranch, they would have named me The Bar None~~ Gilda

I've read them about once or twice a year since I was a very little girl. My dad started us out early reading the Hobbit to us a chapter at a time. God bless him, because I've loved them ever since.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Sorry Realitycrazymom, I have to disagree with you. I don't recommend starting with the Silmarillion because it will probably turn off someone who's never read Tolkien. It's more like his notes that were put together by his son after his death than an actual novel, and although there is a lot of good "facts" about the world of Tolkien it doesn't flow very smoothly. I like to pick it up and read a particular story, but I've never read it cover to cover - too daunting.

The Hobbit is a great introduction and a good way to find out if you'll like it or not. Although if you don't like it something is wrong with you **coughPauliecough**. I'm only joking. Kinda.

I'm like Stargazer, I re-read these constantly, like anytime I run out of current books. I really don't have a great memory and I find myself being able to enjoy things over and over. So shoot me!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I'm with Hepcat and Stargazer, I reread these about once a year. I had actually never read them, until I took a "popular fiction" class in college and the first book of the Lord of the Rings trilogy was assigned. And then it just ended! :mad: I had to go out and buy the other two right away.
    I'd add they're also great for escapism; during that period of college I'd just been dumped, and it was wonderful to get really into a fictional world where no one had sex.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

FORT Fogey
    I am in LOVE with these books. I tried reading them before the movies came out, but they were too boring. Now that I've seen the movies, I just picture every scene in my head and it all makes sense. I also like to envision the actors But I just love the story line and all of the friendships shown in it. I just finished TTT today, so I can't wait to finally finish the trilogy.

BTW, I never read The Hobbit or the Silmarillion and I can understand it fine. That might be because I've seen the movies about a million times and I go to some LOTR websites every so often.

Oh, but The Hobbit is great, PinkieParrot. Don't skip it just because they haven't made a movie. It's got a totally different feel -- IMO -- but it's a wonderful tale.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

The Hobbit has less of a 'doom and gloom' feel and more of an 'exciting adventure' feel. If you are going to skip one, skip the Simarillion. It was good, but read more like a reference book than a novel.

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I can't wait until my daughter is old enough for me to read The Hobbit out loud to her.

They're never too young, hep. It was actually the first book I read to my daughter when she was only a few days old. I knew she didn't know what I was saying anyway, so I just picked up a book that I wanted to read and read it aloud to her. Now she's at that in between stage so it will be another year or so before I can really read it to her again

Maybe I'll start reading a chapter a night after all. I caught her dad watching the Simpsons with her earlier this week. His defense: "I turned the channel when Itchy & Scratchy came on!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast