+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dean Koontz

I think the concept was better than the movie. However, the TV movie, (I don't know if there is a video) based on a Koontz book, that I thought was very good is Intensity. (Mr. Murder was not a good movie, but Phantoms was better-if that's the one with Ben Affleck ).

Another Koontz fan!

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey
    Has anyone heard anything about Koontz's past? Somewhere I read that his father was an abusive alcoholic, and that has helped him create some of the bad guys in his books. Stephen King's father left without a word when he was a child, leaving his mother to struggle on. They could have used their father's actions to excuse a lot of bad or crazy behaivour in their own lives, but they turned it into something positive and creative.
    I did see an interview with Koontz (on A&E, I think) years ago. If memory serves (and it doesn't very often), he didn't say anything about an abusive or alcoholic father, but he did say something like he had to write, was driven to write, otherwise he'd be in trouble all the time. He must have a very busy, chaotic mind. Writing is his release and our pleasure.

Just to check and see, I googled Koontz's name and came up with an interview where he talked of his father trying to kill him when he was young, witnessess called the police. His father was put in mental institution and diaganosed as a sociopath. It didnt say whether the man was still alive or not. Most of his interviews start after he gets out of college and works helping troubled kids in Ozarks, then he becomes a teacher for a couple of years.

I have "Intensity" on TiVo, but it's 4 hours long, and I don't know if I want to invest that much time being disappointed in a movie version of a book I really like.

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey
    Just to check and see, I googled Koontz's name and came up with an interview where he talked of his father trying to kill him when he was young, witnessess called the police. His father was put in mental institution and diaganosed as a sociopath. It didn't say whether the man was still alive or not. Most of his interviews start after he gets out of college and works helping troubled kids in Ozarks, then he becomes a teacher for a couple of years.
    How horrible for him. I can't imagine such an awful thing - no wonder he writes "horror" stories. Poor Koontz. Good google job, Cablejockey. Thanks for the info.

anyone know which books have been made into movies? (TV or otherwise?)

I finished "By The Light Of The Moon" and wonder if he plans a second book. The ending definitely left me wanting more
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

The only two movies I can think of is Intensity--on tv--and Watchers with Cory Haim in it--some stuff was changed from the book when they made this movie. It would be great if they could make movies from Lightning, Twilight Eyes, and Dragon Tears. On second thought they would probably butcher the entire soul of the story and ruin it.

Koontz books made into movies:

Demon Seed - 1977 Directed by Donald Cammell
    The Funhouse - 1981 Directed by Tobe Hooper
    Watchers - 1988 Directed by Jon Hess
    Warchers II - 1990 Directed by Thierry Notz
    Whispers - 1990 Directed by Douglas Jackson
    The Face of Fear - 1990 Directed by Farhad Mann
    The Servants of Twilight - 1991 Directed by Jeffery Obrow
    Watchers III - 1994 Directed by Jeremy Stanford
    Hideaway - 1995 Directed by Brett Leonard
    Intensity - 1997 Directed by Yves Semineau
    Phantoms - 1997 Directed by Joe Chappelle

John, I didn't know that many movies were made from his books. Phantoms with Ben Affleck wasn't bad. Mr. Murder with the Baldwin brother (from the Flinstone movie) wasn't worth the time.

I added the Watchers I,II&III to my netflix queue. I don't hold out much hope they will be "watchable", they weren't rated very high. (I & II come together on one DVD.)

Finished A Door Away From Heaven recently, a very good read!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread