+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dean Koontz

I love Dean Koontz's books. If I'm remembering correctly, "Whispers" was the one that started it for me, since I have such a total bug phobia. I can't even remember them all after that, since I pretty much read everything up until maybe a year or so ago. I just don't have the time to keep reading his books on top of the list I already do, so unless one gets extra praise or I'm extra bored, I don't generally pick up the newer ones.

I think what really hooked me on him was an interview he did years ago about his depression and childhood abuse (again, if I'm remembering the right author). He was very candid about it all and it made me want to read his books again with the new perspective on the writer.

Koontz is a lot like Stephen King for me in that once he started delving into the space alien theories (Tommyknockers, anyone), I lost interest and he got bumped down my list of authors that I had to buy. I like the books about psychos born and bred here on earth, they seem scarier
    I didn't spend all that time playing Dungeons and Dragons and not learn a little something about courage.

I lurked here before going on vacation, but didn't post because I'd never read a DKoontz before. I bought 2 of his books in the airport - yes, some people are such procrastinators that they have to buy books at outrageous prices in the airport - and was completely hooked. (False Memory on the way, From the Corner of His Eye on the way back.)

I'm so glad I read this thread - thanks to everyone who gushed. I love it when I find a prolific author I haven't read. I'm going to hit a used bookstore tomorrow morning and see what else I can find.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Woo, glad you liked him. Pick up some of his older stuff: The Bad Place, Watchers, Lightning, Twilight Eyes, Dark Rivers of the Heart, etc.

hepcat, glad to know you found another author you like!!

I looked at the list of Koontz books people here had read, and realized I needed to get to the library! I've been reading (and rereading) Koontz for the last few weeks!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

hepcat, I would personally recommend Lightning and Strangers...two great books.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

I hit a used book store and got several Dean Koontz titles. I was on a painting retreat last week and got to read a little more than usual, so I read Watchers, Dragon Tears & Demon Seed. Uh...I did get a lot of painting done too.

I loved Watchers, Dragon Tears read a little more like an older novel (although it sounds like Watchers was his first). I love it that I've lived in lots of places he has in his books.

I've really enjoyed getting into DK's books. I used to like Steven King, I don't know why I didn't discover Dean Koontz earlier because he's much more up my alley than SK. I just love the way dogs are important characters in his books.

Well, back to real life and little chances to read (or paint). I'm glad I saw this thread before my vacation.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I think the thing I like best about Koontz, is that he is SO good that he can completely and totally give you a PERFECT mental image of a characters looks and personality in just a couple paragraphs. He then builds on that character for as long as s/he is in the book.

I'm reading From The Corner Of His Eye right now, but It's taking me forever. Should be done this afternoon though. Thoroughly enjoying it!

I also read Dragon Tears, Demon Seed (not my favorite) and From the Corner of His Eye. I also like his style of writing and his character development.

Hepcat, I didn't know that you were also interested in dogs. I don't remember the title, but a dog played an important role in the books with the Mark Snow (?) character in them. I only read two and don't know if there was a third.

Cali, I hope you like the ending to the book you're reading now.

For a guy who writes such creepy stuff, he adds such happy endings.

seize the night and fear nothing...

That's it! Thanks Cali.

+ Reply to Thread