+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728293031 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dean Koontz

Re: Dean Koontz

Come to think of it, a lot of his heroes are loners, outsiders, or oddballs. But you come to feel for them and cheer them on in the story. The Good Guy is no exception. Just finished it and enjoyed it.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

I've been on another DK tear lately, and just finished Strangers (like, 20 minutes ago). WOW! I absolutely LOVED it. Loved the character development. Loved the ending. In fact, I REALLY loved the ending . . . like I feel enlightened, or hopeful, I don't know - just kinda on a high.

I read a lot - at least two and sometimes four books a week, but rarely do I ever comment. Strangers was worth commenting on.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Strangers was the first DK book I ever read. It is a excellent book.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Just finished "The Good Guy" I really liked it alot !!!!

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by JuicyKiwi78;2595865;
    Just finished "The Good Guy" I really liked it alot !!!!
    Hey! I'm new to the site. I am looking forward to reading "The Good Guy" myself. I put it off because I figured it would be very similar to "The Husband". Anyway, I am really looking for another author that has a similar in writing style to Dean Koontz, and please do not say Steven King because there is no comparison, Koontz is much better. I am looking for a writer that can for the most part stay clear of using an extreme amount of filthy language. And if you have read Koontz, I think you can understand what I mean. Koontz does from time to time use the d-word, the h-word or the a-hole word, but for the most part he is a clean writer and very articulate. He does not need the use of an explicative to get his point across or to convey to the reader what the character is thinking. I have read "Fear Nothing", "Seize the Night", "False Memory", "By the Light of the Moon", "Tick Tock" to name a few and have just read "Odd Thomas" and am currently reading "Forever Odd" and in none of these books do I recall an excessive amount of vulgarity. While his discription of some of the macabre scenes are graphic at times that is needed for the style of his writing which I believe to be suspense/thriller.
    So if anyone has any suggestions for another author that compares to Dean Koontz I would greatly appreciate it. I did try and read James Rollins but again the first two chapters of Sandstorm contained I believe 3 GD's and an F among others. And that is just not acceptable and is just not needed, case in point Dean Koontz.
    Thanks for letting me rant, and I look forward to your suggestions.

R

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

Welcome to the FORT, 1KOONTZFAN.

I know what you mean about DK keeping the swear words to a minimum, but I don't know if I can answer your question about what author to suggest because that type of thing doesn't bother me so I don't really seem to notice it (if that makes sense).

I just finished reading Twilight Eyes for the second times. It's an awesome read. In fact, since you've read Odd Thomas, you might notice some similarities in the two main characters. You should check it out.

The new Odd Thomas book comes out this month so I'm trying to catch up. I'm in the middle of Brother Odd, and it seems to be better than Forever Odd so far.

I enjoyed the first book, so I'll probably continue on with the rest of the series.
    SciFi, Fantasy, & Horror @ The Sanctuary

For some reason I had thought the Odd Thomas series was ending after the third book. So I'm excited to hear there's a new one.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I've only read Forever Odd and it took me nearly two months just to really sit down and read it. It didn't capture me the way many Koontz books do but by the end of the book, I really enjoyed it. Was Forever the first or second book?
    Yup, with donuts!!

That was the second one, Buglover, and the least of the series, in my opinion. "Odd Thomas" was first and was much better, and I enjoyed "Brother Odd" also.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread