+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dean Koontz

Re: Dean Koontz

Koontz's new book just hit the shelves, "The Good Guy". I just bought it, and will be reading it when I'm done with my current book.

The book cover blurb follows:

Click to see Spoiler:
    Tim Carrier is at the center of a mystery of extraordinary proportions, the one man who can save an innocent life and stop a killer far more powerful than any cop…and as relentless as evil incarnate. But first Tim must discover within himself the capacity for selflessness, endurance, and courage that can turn even an ordinary man into a hero, inner resources that will transform his idea of who he is and what it takes to be The Good Guy.

I read a lot of his earlier books and have recently started back up again. I just finished The Husband last week.

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

What did you think, Kat? I liked it, but I do feel like a lot of these mass-producing authors get stuck in rut of what I call "method writing", and Koontz is no stranger to that term, IMO. This one was borderline method, but I did still enjoy it. Have you read "The Face"? I hadn't read a Koontz book in years (due to the fact he had a new one out every few months for a while and they were recycled versions of stories he'd already told previously... ) when this one came as my book club selection and I read it. Really loved it, and started picking up a few of his newer books here and there.

remote_goddess I liked it. It just wasn't 'creepy' enough for my taste. I just finished re-reading The Taken. Now that is a great book. I really enjoyed it.

I agree about the authors who start pumping out books too quickly....I used to be a huge Danielle Steele fan back in her "Daddy and Accident" days. Then she started putting out 2-4 books a year and the quality of the writing dropped considerably. I can't stand to even see a book by her anymore. As anxious as I get for a new book from a favorite author...I'd rather be made to wait and end up with a book that sucks you in from the first word than get so-so books more often.

I finished The Taking and from here on I'll be approaching Koontz' books as a mystery series, the mystery being just what in the world the reviewers are reading which I'm so obviously missing.

Koontz must be broadcasting on a wavelength I don't receive, because he reads like a so-so author at best to me other than his earliest novels. I just don't detect anything at all superior about his writing style or implanted messages.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

Leftcoaster, I didn't much care for The Taking either, but Koontz has written some fantastic books. You're more into a wordier read, right? Try Watchers or From the Corner of His Eye. Intensity was extremely creepy and dark. And if you're into a good tearjerker, try Odd Thomas.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy;2433939;
    Leftcoaster, I didn't much care for The Taking either, but Koontz has written some fantastic books. You're more into a wordier read, right? Try Watchers or From the Corner of His Eye. Intensity was extremely creepy and dark. And if you're into a good tearjerker, try Odd Thomas.
    Thanks for the suggestions, Jewelsy. I’d read Watchers a long time back and enjoyed it, as I recall, though I couldn’t say what its about without a prompt at this time.

Actually, one of my primary reasons for ragging on Koontz relates to him being wordier, wordier in an endlessly King-like filler manner that serves to fill up page upon page without really driving the core story forward on any appreciable level. In my view, of course. I freely acknowledge recognition that others find value in what irks me personally.

Having read Koontz early on and enjoyed his tales, I imagine he’s probably got books out there that I would enjoy even though I’ve copped an attitude about his efforts over time. That’s one of the reasons I read The Taking, as a means of balancing my current at that point perception about Koontz versus reality. I don’t wish to deprive myself of a good read because of possibly outdated and erroneous bias.

Again, what I can’t understand is the gushing reviews. I’ll acknowledge Koontz’ efforts in applauding manner, if he puts forth material worth applauding. But The Taking was a stinker, considering the book as a whole. It had a rotten beginning and a wretchedly lazy ending, and I just don’t see anything to speak of positively about it. Now I do realize that they chose selectively what blurbs to include, and that they weren’t about to include reviews like the disdainfully sneering one I might have wrote, but still, what did those pro reviews see? What could they see to appreciate?

I believe they’d gotten so used to applauding the dude at some point that they’ve become so invested with Koontz’ superior storytelling skills that they imagine that to suggest now that he’s writing like a hack would reflect poorly upon them, seeing as they’d gushed so adoringly previously. Either that or possibly they’ve forgotten how to be dispassionately objective, unconsciously filling in the blanks which abound in the story internally, doing work the author couldn’t be bothered to or otherwise didn’t; imagining and completing the story into something that doesn’t actually exist in the novel itself.

So I gave Forever Odd another go and found myself riveted near the end. Not the normal style of Koontz to go so far into a book before it gets interesting, but in the end I enjoyed it.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by John;2431177;
    Koontz's new book just hit the shelves, "The Good Guy". I just bought it, and will be reading it when I'm done with my current book.

The book cover blurb follows:

Click to see Spoiler:
    Tim Carrier is at the center of a mystery of extraordinary proportions, the one man who can save an innocent life and stop a killer far more powerful than any cop…and as relentless as evil incarnate. But first Tim must discover within himself the capacity for selflessness, endurance, and courage that can turn even an ordinary man into a hero, inner resources that will transform his idea of who he is and what it takes to be The Good Guy.
    I started reading Koontz a bit based on this thread, and maybe even your recommendation, probably two or more years ago. I really enjoy some of his earlier works, then it was not so good but then Odd Thomas was great. I think some of his newer stuff is in the middle. He has great character development, and is full of suspense -- not the usual schlocky stuff. So, he is now one of my favorite authors to read on the plane.

Let us know if you like this one.

elk

Has anyone else noticed this?

I sneaked a peak inside the latest (it is sitting by my bed patiently waiting for me to finish Blaze) and I noted that this new main character seems identical to other Koontz characters. They all become heroes, have sarcastic personalities and are basically loners or somewhat antisocial.

Has anyone else noticed this? If I dug out my memory, I think I could come up with at least 10 of his characters with these traits.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

+ Reply to Thread