+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dean Koontz

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
    Read the second Odd Thomas book though, please. I'm dying to know if other people share my opinion.
    If your opinion was "not very good", then yes, I share your opinion. I have to admit, though, that I don't think Mr. Koontz is a very good writer, though for some reason I have read nearly all his books. I believe that it's time I got a life.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I recently read "Dark Rivers of the Heart" and liked it. The initial plot is a little baffling but the mystery unfolds slowly and you can't help but be drawn in. Thanks for the recommendation, Manny. There was a character in that book that reminded him of someone, and I completely agree!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Hey, I'm glad you liked it, Hep-San! Creepy, no? I couldn't put that one down.

FORT Newbie
    Dean Koontz ROCKS!! He's my all time favorite Author, I've read every book he's written and I'm always counting the days to his next book! I've been going metal trying to find other authors that can write stories like him... so far I have had very little luck If anyone knows of any I'd love to hear about them - HELP! I'm dying here!!! lol

WR

I just finished The Husband and I wonder if anyone else has read it yet? I really enjoyed this one more than some of his recent efforts especially Forever Odd (I'm with you on this one Amanda, I wished he'd stopped with Odd Thomas) and The Taking. It's a little different because
    Click to see Spoiler:
    there's nothing supernatural about this one. It's a straight out thriller, but nobody does unexpected plot twists like Koontz.
    I couldn't put it down, and I've been having a hard time getting into anything lately, so I appreciated it. The critics have said the ending is a little anti-climactic and I tend to agree, but since most Koontz endings are a little flat to me (he tends to tie up all the pieces in a happily-ever-after bow) I was okay with it.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

I posted something similar in the "What are you reading?" thread, but I thought I'd give it a try here as well since y'all are so well read on horror in general and Dean Koontz in particular:

Has Dean Koontz written any "haunted house" style novels that are worth looking into? I'm thinking about writing my master's thesis on some aspect or other of the contemporary horror novel, and since I'm a sucker for any good old ghost story, especially ones dealing with haunted houses, I thought I might look into the possibility of writing over the summer. Two birds with one stone, business and pleasure and so on. Any suggestions? It doesn't have to be all Koontz novels; any horror novels with a haunted house subplot are welcome.
    Last edited by geek the girl; 06-26-2006 at 03:16 PM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

It's not so much haunted house as haunted towns, but I immediately thought of "Phantoms" by Koontz and "It" by King.

Haunted towns could work, too. Thanks, John.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Reading over the replies, I can't honestly recall exactly what Koontz books I have, but do know they're still in boxes (have no bookshelves yet). LoL! The last book I purchased was False Memory, if that gives any idea how long it's been since updating the Koontz collection.

cow
    i recently went to the library and got a bunch of dean koontz books. i read false memory before, and i loved it, so i thought i'd read some of his other books. life expectancy was an awesome book. seize the night was kinda boring, and i never read the book that came before it, so... i read the first book of the frankenstein series, but i could'nt find the rest in the library i read sole survivor, and i hated the ending, but other than that, it was a great book. right now, im reading one door away from heaven, pretty boring so far. and i kinda skipped all the chapters that talked about that boy because i didn't like him (well, i skimmed throught them) after this, im reading mr murder (or whatever its called) and then i'll have to get more books! im excited to read the husband, but its not in the library so i assume there is a super long waiting list for it. might have to buy it at costco.

anyways, one question. it may be a stupid question, but how do you say his last name? that has always bugged me, since oo could be pronounced several ways. well, i never heard anyone say it before, and i don't want to say it wrong if i happen to talk about his books with a friend, so...
    moooooo
    orangepie

+ Reply to Thread