+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dean Koontz

I have, and I didnt want it to end. A very good read.

Thanks cablejockey, I'll look into buying it soon. The only thing about new books that I don't like is that they are so expensive.....my brother buys books from trading places so they are only a dollar or so. But there is something about a new book that I like so much more than a used old one.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    I've been on a Dean Koontz reading frenzy for the last couple of months. Just finished "Odd Thomas". . . MAN, I haven't creid that hard at the end of a book in a long time. Excellent, EXCELLENT read.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy
    I've been on a Dean Koontz reading frenzy for the last couple of months. Just finished "Odd Thomas". . . MAN, I haven't creid that hard at the end of a book in a long time. Excellent, EXCELLENT read.
    Oh Jewels, I loved that book. And I agree with the sentiment. But what a great story. I think about those shadowy things all the time that are described in the book. Not that something supernatural can really be based on a true story, but there are people who believe in that kind of "sighting". There's lots of info on the internet. It really creeped me out to find out that was based on something in real life (if you could say that) that I'd never heard of before.

I'm re-reading a DK book right now, "Whispers". Good read, set and written in 1980.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Those little creatures WERE creepy -- a forewarning of impending doom.

I was wondering if anyone else anticipated the ending to be
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Since Odd suffered Gunshot wounds to the back, he'd end up paralyzed.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

I loved Odd Thomas and went on Koontz's website. There is another book out in November about Odd Thomas , can't wait to read it!

Is the next Odd Thomas book out in stores yet? I havn't seen it but know it's coming sometime soon. I want to wait for the soft cover copy.

It is out already, although I'm not sure about softcover.

I'm really looking forward to hearing what people think about it. This isn't really a spoiler, but since the book is still so relatively new, I guess I'll tag it anyway.

Click to see Spoiler:
    I hated it. I was so disappointed. The first one was so good, so emotionally investing, and I wish like hell he'd stopped after that one. Some of it was just dull, imo, other parts were flat-out ridiculous. It was a huge letdown, in my mind.

Hello, I'm geek the girl and I'm a newly converted Dean Koontz fan.

I feel embarrassed admitting this - and slightly scared too. Please don't crucify me, John! - but I've always had these preconceived notions about Dean Koontz being a sloppy, slightly formulaic writer. I've based this on the first thirty pages or so of a very poorly translated Swedish version of Phantoms and since I've been so busy keeping up with That Other Bestselling Horror Writer (aka He Who Must Not Be Named In This Thread), I've done very little to challenge these notions. That is, until I picked up Odd Thomas and got the surprise of a lifetime. He's GREAT! If Odd Thomas is anything to go by, ignoring his work has been a major mistake on my part. It's by turns darkly hilarious, scary, moving, and poignant. Wonderful stuff: I was reminded of the "monster of the week" episodes Darin Morgan and Vince Gilligan wrote for X-Files.

I've consulted John's Top 5 list and will get all the titles on there - apart from Odd Thomas, obviously. I still have a question, though: Where do I go next in Koontz land if I want something dark, sinister and gory? Preferably with a humorous twist as well, but since it's my understanding that Odd Thomas differs from his earlier work, it's not a must.

Amanda:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Sorry to hear you didn't like Forever Odd. I'll probably read it eventually, but I'll wait for the paperback edition.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

GTG, one of my favorites - but I'll warn you that I pretty much stand alone on this one - is TickTock. It's way lighter and has that humorous twist you're looking for, but is still gripping. I laughed out loud, literally, more than once, but still had a hard time putting it down.

In fact, now that I think about it, my other big favorite is also not universally appreciated. Strangers. It's an older one (not funny), but I've re-read it at least 4 times.

Read the second Odd Thomas book though, please. I'm dying to know if other people share my opinion

Oh! And The Bad Place. Loved that one.

+ Reply to Thread