+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dean Koontz

Never read Koontz, but I have read pretty much every Stephen King novel out there and like the horror/suspense genre, so I thought I'd give Koontz a go. Any ideas where to start? I picked up Phantoms from a friend's bookshelf and read a few pages (a very rude thing to do during a dinner party, but what the hey ) and liked what I read. Is Phantoms a typical Koontz novel, would you say, or does he write in a different style these days?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Phantoms is pretty typical for Koontz but he does go off in different directions sometimes. Most of his books involve spooky, otherworldly stuff or advance government technology but some don't. I just read Velocity and the bad guy was just pure evil. No spirits or spooks controlling him, he was a monster like you read about in the daily paper which I find scarier than the ghosties. I read Icebound a few years back and from what I remember it was just pure adventure. Watchers was the first Koontz I read waaaay back in high school and I was hooked. I've never read Odd Thomas, I'll have to check that one out. Other favs: The Taking, False Memory, Intensity, From the Corner of his Eye & Night Chills.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." B. Russell

I love Koontz...I have read his books on and off but not too many of them. Having just finished Harry Potter, Book 6 and having read all Stephen Kings books, I now want to dive into this author. I like his style. His books engross me. I was wondering if any fellow FORTER or the Admeownistrator could give me THE TOP 5 or TOP 10 Koontz books ever...so I can go out and get them...or maybe, if I am asking too much, one or 2 books that are a Koontz must have!

What about "The Face"?

Thanks!
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

Top 5 Koontz Books, in John's opinion:

1) Twilight Eyes
    2) The Bad Place
    3) Dark Rivers of the Heart
    4) Odd Thomas
    5) Hideaway

"The Face" isn't a great book. If you can get any of the 5 on this list, you won't be sorry. They're all different themes, but all very good in their own ways. And, they're spaced out in Koontz's writing history, so you can see his style evolve.

Thanks for the input, everyone. And thanks for the Top 5, John! I'll get right to it.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I forgot to mention. Yesterday, my new Koontz book arrived in the mail. It's book 2 of the Frankenstein series he's doing. Can't wait to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I forgot to mention. Yesterday, my new Koontz book arrived in the mail. It's book 2 of the Frankenstein series he's doing. Can't wait to read it.
    Wow, I didn't know that was out yet. I'm on my way to Hastings.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

I've read Velocity--very good--and Frankenstein--good but there's a second part--so far this summer. Does anyone know if there are any movies coming out based on a Koontz book? The book by this author that had me feeling disappointed was The Taking.

Cablejockey, there are several movies of Koonz books already made. Intensity, Face of Fear, Hideaway, Strangers, and a couple of others I can't remember.

There's also a movie for the Frankenstein book(s), but Dean dropped off that project because the movie wasn't doing the book anything close to justice.

The Taking

I love Dean Koontz and I loved The Taking. I have heard other people say they didn't like it but I don't understand why...
    After Lightning and False Memory this is my favorite one.

+ Reply to Thread