+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dean Koontz

Quote Originally Posted by Delphyne
    If you've never read The Funhouse, you should check it out. He wrote that one under the name Owen West.
    I finished reading this a couple of weeks ago, and, imo, it was hands-down the absolute, positive WORST book of his I've ever read. God did it suck. I hated it. I honestly hated it. I was so angry at it when I finished. Angry enough to call like three different people in three different states and yell about it. I'm so glad he improved as a writer as his career went on, because MAN - this was terrible.

But, um, other people may disagree.

lol, Amanda. I've read it. I don't think it's anywhere near in his "best books" list, but everyone has their favorites.

If you haven't read one of his more recent ones, "Odd Thomas", you should. It's worth it.

As for his older books, nothing beats Twilight Eyes, but there are a couple that come close. Watchers, Dark Rivers of the Heart, Hideaway, and The Bad Place are all winners.

I didn't care for The Funhouse either, but I don't think I called and yelled at anyone.

Watchers is my favorite Koontz book, and Midnight runs a close second.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Quote Originally Posted by John
    If you haven't read one of his more recent ones, "Odd Thomas", you should. It's worth it.
    Oh John, I agree. I actually bought Odd Thomas at the same time as The Funhouse, and that may have been part of the reason The Funhouse seemed so horrible to me, because Odd Thomas was excellent. I don't think I ever cried because of any of his other books (and I've read dozens of them), but I was like a little girl with a skinned knee at the end of that one.

Right now I just started One Door Away From Heaven, and so far so good. I needed to give myself a couple of weeks to recover from the whole Funhouse trauma.

Amanda, I didn't care much for one door away from heaven. But I picked up Life Expectancy, his most recent, and I thought it was good. Not great, but good.

If you like Koontz and the old Stephen King books, you should try Robert McCammon. I highly recommend picking up Boy's Life by him. You won't regret it.

If One Door Away from Heaven is the one I'm thinking of, then I'm wincing for you, Amanda. But I remember he has two books with similar titles; one I liked, one I could have skipped. Door to December is what I'm thinking of, but I can't remember which was the annoying one. He says in the forward that he was experimenting with the narrative style. Results of experiment: don't fix what ain't broke.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Amanda, I didn't care much for one door away from heaven. But I picked up Life Expectancy, his most recent, and I thought it was good. Not great, but good.
    I don't normally care for Koontz (too wordy), but I also liked Life Expectancy. I liked it quite a bit, actually, but I haven't read much Koontz.

I'll keep the McCammon in mind the next time I'm at the bookstore and browsing for a new author.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

i absolutely love koontz, but i am sooo far behind in my reading. i just finished "odd thomas", and i must say it completely blew me away! definitely one of his finest. i'm in the middle of reading "one door away from heaven" - this is the 4th time i've tried to read this book (for some reason, i just can't seem to get into the characters or the story). but, i've got "the taking" sitting here staring me in the face dying to be read - so that's my inspiration to finish "heaven". someone please tell me that it gets better...

also have "life expectancy" to read after "the taking". haven't read the frankenstein books, and don't really plan to...unless someone can convince me otherwise...lol

oh, and i don't know if anyone has mentioned this here or not, but throughout a lot of his books he quotes from "the book of counted sorrows"...always wondered what that was, so i googled it the other day - only to find out that it's something he made up to quote from when he can't find a real quote. gotta love him, eh?
    "I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control, and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best .. "

i just finished reading phantoms a few days ago, boy was that a great book, i loved it, i had seen the movie and that's what sucked me into to reading the book, great, great book

I picked up a few of Koontz's books after reading Odd Thomas and loving it. My problem with Koontz is that he foreshadows everything too much. "Little did he know that before nightfall, everything he knew would be gone." Or whatever. Stuff like that. Maybe if I spaced them out more I'd notice it less.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread