+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dean Koontz

I just bought the Taking tonight and so far I LOVE it.
    John, if you are out there,have you read it yet?

Our local Chapters was having a sale on paperbacks so I went and picked up some Koontz books that I have not read yet. For some reason, I am having a heck of a time getting into "By the Light of The Moon". This is the first time when reading a Koontz book that I wasn't eager to finish it ASAP. Maybe it's just me? On the other hand, "Midnight" was a great story. I am trying to get my Mother into Koontz and gave her "Watchers" to start

daddyzgirl

I enjoyed Midnight too. Phantoms was another good book.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Oooh, The Bad Place is one of his best.
    Good to hear, as I got that today. I look forward to reading it.

Say...I never did finish Lightning. But I will.
    Gustav Holst was right!

I just finished reading Frankenstein by Dean Koontz and Kevin J. Anderson. Although not as good as some ofhis books are it was a fairly good read although didn't like the ending

I've been reading all the Stephen King anthologies, like Night Shift, Skeleton Crew, and now I'm on Everything's Eventual. The first time I read these books i skipped over a lot of the stories that didn't catch my interest at first, now I am enjoying them. Especially The Mist--after a bad storm a mist envelopes this town and brings strange awful creatures with it. The Devil in the Woods--a young boy meets a man in a black suit with flames in his eyes. The story about the little monkey toy that claps its cymbols and someone dies, and Autopsy Room Four--the guy is paralyzed from a snake bite and they think he's dead and about to do his autopsy.

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey
    I've been reading all the Stephen King anthologies, like Night Shift, Skeleton Crew, and now I'm on Everything's Eventual. The first time I read these books i skipped over a lot of the stories that didn't catch my interest at first, now I am enjoying them. Especially The Mist--after a bad storm a mist envelopes this town and brings strange awful creatures with it. The Devil in the Woods--a young boy meets a man in a black suit with flames in his eyes. The story about the little monkey toy that claps its cymbols and someone dies, and Autopsy Room Four--the guy is paralyzed from a snake bite and they think he's dead and about to do his autopsy.
    If you liked The Mist, be sure to follow up by reading From a Buick 8, if you haven't already.

As for EE, my favorite was the haunted hotel-room story 1408 (which just happened to be my room number at the Crown Plaza during Fortcon last year).
    Last edited by phat32; 04-05-2005 at 03:46 PM.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Nice seeing titles I'd never heard of, but unsurprising considering the way Koontz cranks out books. Its been awhile since I picked up one of his books; I figured I needed a time out because after awhile it seemed like he doesn't create new novels, just several hundred page new chapters of the same story. I can only take so much of an author that doesn't do something out of the norm now and again.

Having said that, one of these days it'll be nice getting the urge to give others a rest and revisit Koontz even though I'm with those that believe his 'paragraph to describe sentence/chapter to describe what abler writers put into a paragraph' isn't a sign of literary ability or strength.

Edited to add I think its appropriate somehow that posting about Koontz turned me into fogey.
    Last edited by Leftcoaster; 04-05-2005 at 03:50 PM.

Ooops--when I posted that I had been reading Stephen King, I didn't realize that I was in the Dean Koontz section! As a matter of fact, I have recently read a DK--Dark Rivers of the Heart. This is a fantastic story that proves that the evil engendered by your regular everyday crazy killer is just as equal any rendered by the undead. A man who is trying to run away from his past and the night his mother was murdered, tries to save another woman who is being hunted down by corrupt government officials. The hero, Spencer and his lovable dog Rocky, living a hidden existance, come out to try to save Valerie, a woman who knows too much and is being tracked down. After reading this story, you will definetly be looking over your shoulder for awhile.

Yes phat32, I did read From a Buick 8 and thoroughly enjoyed it.

+ Reply to Thread