+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dean Koontz

FORT Newbie

The Taking

I read Dean's newest book this last Monday (I couldn't stop reading it until I was done). I have to say it's one of his best in the last ten years or so. It was so nice not to be disappointed or even semi let down by the ending. It's seems that so many times the dramatic buildup would fizzle out at the end; not so with this book.
    I mailed it overnight to a friend of mine in Texas so we could talk about it. Since I'm a little impatient, I thought I'd register on here in hopes that some of you have read it.
    Oh, and even though I just registered I'm not really new. I've occasionally read the forums on the site for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by MissJane
    I read Dean's newest book this last Monday (I couldn't stop reading it until I was done). I have to say it's one of his best in the last ten years or so. It was so nice not to be disappointed or even semi let down by the ending. It's seems that so many times the dramatic buildup would fizzle out at the end; not so with this book.
    I mailed it overnight to a friend of mine in Texas so we could talk about it. Since I'm a little impatient, I thought I'd register on here in hopes that some of you have read it.
    Oh, and even though I just registered I'm not really new. I've occasionally read the forums on the site for quite some time.
    Hi MissJane. to the FORT. Even if you've read the forums it gets more interesting after you actually post

I couldn't wait for The Taking to come out. I bought it last Tuesday but saved it for the week end as I was going out of town and wanted some good bed-time reading material.

I have to say I was disappointed by the book for several reasons. I thought the characterizations were all over the place. We didn't learn
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the Niel was a Jesuit priest
    until the end of the book, when that might have explained some of the plot earlier on... I also didn't really get much of a feel for the Molly's father. I don't want to discuss it too much right now because I'm sure not many of his fans have read it yet, but I'd be interested in seeing what others think, too.

I just though the explanation at the end was a little weak, and the book ended so abruptly. I compared it in my head a little to The Stand, and to me, it suffered in comparison.

That being said, Dean Koontz is still one of my favorite authors. I really got into Odd Thomas. I thought Odd, his girlfriend and the police chief were sympathetic, intriguing and believable.
    Last edited by John; 06-06-2004 at 07:38 PM.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Quote Originally Posted by haejin
    I finally got Odd Thomas today and read part of it on the bus. It's really good so far. As for Lightning, I haven't finished yet, but I will.
    Did you finish reading Lightning? I don't believe that I ever read that one. I will be taking out Odd Thomas this week.

I picked up The Taking and read it yesterday. The story flowed along so well I didn't realize how fast I was going through it. I love Dean Koontz, but I just can't seem to make the books last. Does he have any that are longer? (BTW, after everyone else has read this, I would love to discuss.)

whozit

I haven't read or heard of that book until now. I'm currently reading Odd Thomas and thats around 400 pages.

Thanks eldee, I'll get it this week end.

One of his longer ones is "Dark Rivers of the Heart". Pretty good book, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    ....I couldn't wait for The Taking to come out. I bought it last Tuesday but saved it for the week end as I was going out of town and wanted some good bed-time reading material.

I have to say I was disappointed by the book for several reasons. .....
    I think I will skip that one. I'm half way through Odd Thomas and I already read Watchers, Midnight, Phantoms. What do you suggest I try next?

Quote Originally Posted by eldee
    I think I will skip that one. I'm half way through Odd Thomas and I already read Watchers, Midnight, Phantoms. What do you suggest I try next?
    It depends on what kind of character you like.

I really enjoyed One Door Away From Heaven. It's fairly new and has a young girl and a smart dog in it... remember that with Koontz Dog = Good?

Fear Nothing and the sequel, Seize the Night, are about a young man and, again, the smart dog . These are good because, as I recall, Koontz writes very few sequels. In Fact, I think this is the only set, but Seize The Night can stand on it's own as well.

IMO these are among the best of his most recent books. They are a good, easy read, if you like the genre. And I must admit, I really like the Dogs.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann

Fear Nothing and the sequel, Seize the Night, are about a young man and, again, the smart dog . These are good because, as I recall, Koontz writes very few sequels. In Fact, I think this is the only set, but Seize The Night can stand on it's own as well.

IMO these are among the best of his most recent books. They are a good, easy read, if you like the genre. And I must admit, I really like the Dogs.
    I think I am reading Seize the night. at work. first time i have read DK and man is he wordy on some of his discriptions. but i am enjoying the book, about the guy with the sunlight desease....right?

+ Reply to Thread