+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Book Club: 7/8/03, "Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold *Spoilers*

I think it would be a good idea if Hazy or Greenflute set up another book based on that initial discussion and see if others join in on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by eldee
    I believe Susie fell to earth no only to have the positive and caring physical side of sex, but to also feel loved by her childhood love that she never lost feelings for. She had years of watching others have sex or making love, so it was not a foreign idea to her.
    Eldee, I really like your explanation. That is how I felt about it as well. It seemed like it was an attempt to "repair" what had happened to her. Her rape and murder occurred as she was entering puberty and had begun to have feelings of attraction to this boy (I finished the book several weeks ago, sorry I can't remember the names). It was then very painful for her to watch her younger sister grow up and fall in love and experience the things she had begun to yearn for before her death. So I did feel that it provided a sense of closure for her to sort of have that experience for herself.

As far as the narrative voice goes - as this is all somewhat fantastical, it is hard for us to say if a child would continue to mature in heaven after her death. I felt that she was telling the story many years after it all happened, so while she was a child when she died, she had been in heaven for many years and had grown and matured through watching her familiy's experiences (as well as any "all-knowingness" that may be bestowed upon us at death). In that respect, it would not be inappropriate for her to use adult language and themes in her narrative.

I am not a very traditionally religious person and don't have a cut-and-dried idea of what heaven or the afterlife should be like, so it may be easier for me to accept the author's vision of heaven. I like the idea that it would be different for each person, just as I believe that each person is entitled to their own ideas of what God is/should be.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

I am still here and want to be in the "club". I procrastinated so much that I ran out of time and I am a really sllloooowww reader.
    "People are strange, when you're a stranger" - Jim Morrison

Scrumpot, you are always welcomed!!!

Yeah, I like what oneTVslave said too.

If I were more eloquent I would explain myself better.

The book moved me. What else can I say?

I agree with glennajo and hazy: i.e. Susie sounded older than she should have. And even though her younger sister was supposedly gifted, I didn't buy that she was that adult either.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    I'd have to agree with that. I hadn't thought about that part of the story, yet. I was thinking more substantially. That is true, though.

[Though, I kinda wish we had a gifted/talented camp thing here. Guess I just can't get away from school.]
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave
    Eldee, I really like your explanation. That is how I felt about it as well. It seemed like it was an attempt to "repair" what had happened to her. Her rape and murder occurred as she was entering puberty and had begun to have feelings of attraction to this boy (I finished the book several weeks ago, sorry I can't remember the names). It was then very painful for her to watch her younger sister grow up and fall in love and experience the things she had begun to yearn for before her death. So I did feel that it provided a sense of closure for her to sort of have that experience for herself.

As far as the narrative voice goes - as this is all somewhat fantastical, it is hard for us to say if a child would continue to mature in heaven after her death. I felt that she was telling the story many years after it all happened, so while she was a child when she died, she had been in heaven for many years and had grown and matured through watching her familiy's experiences (as well as any "all-knowingness" that may be bestowed upon us at death). In that respect, it would not be inappropriate for her to use adult language and themes in her narrative.

I am not a very traditionally religious person and don't have a cut-and-dried idea of what heaven or the afterlife should be like, so it may be easier for me to accept the author's vision of heaven. I like the idea that it would be different for each person, just as I believe that each person is entitled to their own ideas of what God is/should be.
    I'm gonna make this official, and say that I also agree with OneTVslave, because I did wonder if being in "heaven" was the reason for her more mature voice.

And I did think that her idea of heaven was an interesting and peaceful one.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Thanks for the backup, Shazz! Although, it is certainly okay to disagree...
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    I think her idea of heaven was perfect. In the book, heaven conforms to whoever is there. It is different for everyone. Everyone has a different vision of heaven, and I think she portrayed that very well.
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345