+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Book Club: 7/8/03, "Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold *Spoilers*

Although there were a few things I would have like to see differently, I liked the book a lot.

Re: Harvey's death. When the girl travelling by herself called him a "creep", for some reason I was waiting for something to happend that she would kill him or that he would go to see the sink hole and fall in to it and slowly die as the safe popped up.

I believe Susie fell to earth no only to have the positive and caring physical side of sex, but to also feel loved by her childhood love that she never lost feelings for. She had years of watching others have sex or making love, so it was not a foreign idea to her.

Fade to black
    Quote Originally Posted by glennajo
    The wording she used while narrating came across as too "old" for her. I also noticed this with her little brother.

The icicle killing Harvey was stupid. I wanted him to get caught and have to pay for what he did. It was just too easy to wrap it up that way, I guess.
    These are two of my biggest issues with the book. One her narrative voice doesn't feel real, it's often forced and does come across as much older, and aware, than it should be. For me, it's hard to sell me on a story if I can't believe the narrator's thoughts - and I can't in this book.

And she is too simple. Heaven and Harvey's death are too easy. Too wishy washy. Too convenient. If I'm dealing with death and tragedy and loss, that's what I want. Not easy.

I also agree with Shazzer on her transitions. They need work.

Strengths: It is a unique premise and a unique storytelling convention. Her characters have depth and are well-developed (sometimes too developed). She examines relationships well. And loss. I think that's what she does best, and needs to do more of.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

I think I would have expected Susie to do something else other than make love when she fell back down to earth.

Re Harvey's death, I didn't like the way it ended, I preferred something neater, like him being caught and prosecuted for what he's done. But I guess Sebold might be injecting some realism into the plot; that most cases do go unsolved.
    “In Rrrussia, vee have proverb: Only bad soliders don’t vant to be general.” Sasha Pivovarova

Quote Originally Posted by eldee
    Although there were a few things I would have like to see differently, I liked the book a lot.

Re: Harvey's death. When the girl travelling by herself called him a "creep", for some reason I was waiting for something to happend that she would kill him or that he would go to see the sink hole and fall in to it and slowly die as the safe popped up.

I believe Susie fell to earth no only to have the positive and caring physical side of sex, but to also feel loved by her childhood love that she never lost feelings for. She had years of watching others have sex or making love, so it was not a foreign idea to her.

What eldee said.

Personally, I think Susie using her time on earth to bring her killer to justice would have missed the point. I can't explain it but to me she was past that and this story was about much more than catching a killer.

And I don't get it, was Hazy making fun of me?

Nah, he wasn't making fun of you splatty. He was just posting his thoughts of the book. It just so happens that it was under yours. He kinda lives in his own little world. . .
    Who shot who in the what now?

Oh, I see. It was just that he sort of quoted what I had said so . . . I thought I was missing some sort of inside joke.

For some reason, I thought he had said before that he had enjoyed the book?

Nope he's always maintained he didn't care for the book. It's all good, splatty.
    Who shot who in the what now?

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    I think that if we were to read Lucky by Alcie Sebold we would understand the writer more personally because it is about herself. That may give some insight into Sebold's reasons for certain parts in the book or certain styles of perception in Lovely Bones.
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

It seemed like many others were interested in the book club, but I don't see their comments. Did they not agree on the book or could it be they are still reading or lost interest?

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    It might be just not having read it yet or lost interest. I know a couple people on the FORT who like the Book Club idea but just would not read this book.
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast