+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Book Club: 7/8/03, "Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold *Spoilers*

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    Sure, I was done with the book ages ago. ixcrisxi, I read somewhere you don't think the book is a great read. Why?
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    Well, it read very well, actually. I mean, the characters were quite interesting, but the plot left open holes within it. Such as, towards the end of the book, some of the characters start to piece together who the killer was and hopefully find out what had all happened. It never went further into that at all. Plus, the murderer gets killed, himself, by an icicle that falls on his head and makes him fall to an icy death in a trench on the side of a road. I mean, you can't hope for justice all the time but seriously! They could added a few plot twists and made the book a little more exciting.

As was the case with this man, he stayed in the general area of the crime and watched his old neighbors as they reacted and moved on. There is no way that the father and daughter or other people couldn't have seen him spying on them or caught him in an act. And, the fact of the sketches being found was a little proposterous (in a hurry, sorry for typos!). The investigators had to have found the drawings just a little disturbing. I mean, who has drawings of tents and underground caverns just lying in a notebook. Maybe an architect, but not a dollhouse builder.
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

*sigh* I wrote a whole reply and got deleted.

Yeah, I guess the ending was unrealistic. I wanted so much for Harvey to be caught. But the icicle death was a reasonable ending to me. At least, Harvey won't hurt or murder anymore other innocent girls.

I guess Harvey's weirdness and the sketches was apparent but I agree that they can't say that he's guilty unless there is hardcore proof.

I loved that Susie re-emerged in Ruth's body.
    "That was the moment I fell to Earth."
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

I loved it all except the "Ghost" Whoopi Goldberg-as-Patrick Swayze with Demi Moore moment. The icicle death was a very nice touch.

You don't like that?

I liked it because I thought that it was a gift for her since she died before she could really experience everything.

FORT Fogey
    I loved the icicle death, especially since it was sort of her sisters idea.

Nah...too reminiscent of that movie. I loved the book, though...I just felt that this was a flaw.

I don't even see that similarity when I was reading the book.

Fade to black
    Anna has taken leave of FORT so in her absence, Greenflute and I will figure something out and get it up tomorrow for discussion on this book.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    Okay, hazy. Anyway, I didn't catch the movie tie there, either.
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast