+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Science Fantasy

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar

Science Fantasy

Ok, this is a thread to discuss Science Fantasy books. Anyways, what is your favorite Science Fantasy book?

Hmmmm, tough question, I have a lot of favorites, basically the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. Most anything that Alan Dean Foster has written. Santiago by Mike Resnick. The Garrett series by Glenn Cook. I used to have over 800 books. Finally had to sell them and give some to the library.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

I forgot the name of the author, but I read a really good book about a year back about a man that could make his dreams into reality. Quite wierd.

Well, since I've been blabbing on about it in about two or three other threads, I should mention The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers again. Very clever book. I also liked Door Number Three by Patrick Leary. He's a funny, intelligent writer, and this story was moving. Probably my all-time favorite sci-fi (maybe not science fantasy) novel was Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I haven't read the sequels to that book, but I've heard some of them are even better.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I loved Ender's Game! I had to read that for eighth grade last year, and it was my favorite book all summer. Ok, so the only other book I had to read was "Shadow Spinner", but I still loved Ender's Game.

Ditto on Ender's Game. And by the way, Paulie, you inspired me to pick up Anubis Gates after your continual reminders. I love sci fi, and just decided to glance at it with your little voice in my head, "read, read, read...Anubis Gates...you're getting sleepy" and ended up buying it (used, of course).
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Cool, Shazzer! I hope you like it. It really picks up after the Coleridge lecture. I couldn't put it down after that.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I'll let you know, Paulie. Just finished Harry Potter and some books before that, now it's on to The Lovely Bones and The Nanny Diaries (because I borrowed that from someone) and then on to Anubis Gates.

(Pssst...if you're not afraid of reading books for "kids" - "Silly rabbit, Trix are for kids!" - then sci fi fans might want to pick up Jean Karl's "But We Are Not of Earth." It has an interesting premise anyway - that of a future earth society settled on uninhabitable planets and how that plays out, i.e. restricting people from earth-life. It's out of print, so you'd have to check it out at one of those ol' library places).

P.S. To all book fans: I wish we had novel detectives here. I.e. someone asks I read this book a long time ago and it had this kind of premise and this and that happened and I have no idea what it was called or who the author was.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Okay, should we have a seperate thread for fantasy books or did you mean to combine the two by saying Science Fantasy instead of SciFi? Just curious because I don't really read much SciFi but I read a ton of Fantasy. So, I guess I'll just mention some authors and books I have read and enjoyed. Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time series), Terry Goodkind (Sword of Truth series), Elizabeth Haydon(Rhapsody, Prophesy, Destiny). Okay there are more, but I'll wait and see who other people mention first!
    To be a star: you must shine your own light; follow your own path; and don't be afraid of the darkness, for that's where stars shine brightest.

Watch The Amazing Race 4 on CBS Thursdays @ 8:00!!!

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    I think I've read Anubus Gate. will have to check whe I get home, since I'm surfing this at work on the lunch break

James P. Hogan writes some really good stuff too. I recommend anything he has wrote as a great read.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast