+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Science Fantasy

*shimmy*

Diana Wynne Jones is a definite favorite fantasy author of mine from way back. After reading Charmed Life and Dog's Body in high school, I lost track of her other works. However, she is credited for writing Howl's Moving Castle, which was made into an animated movie. Luckily, I was able to read the book prior to the movie premiere. Despite Mrs. Jones' works are considered to be of the "young adult" genre, I still enjoy them.

Piers Anthony was quite a discovery, too. The Xanth series kept me going back for more. I suppose I have a dry sense of humor, for I loved his play on words. He's also credited for writing Total Recall, which was a surprise to me to discover at the time.

I just finished Dune: The Battle Of Corrin, and it was a pleasant surprise.

Like most other extended series, I lost interest in the original Dune series after the baton was passed to decendants of the original characters.

Herbert's son Brian and Kevin J. Anderson do nice work with this book, but I may have enjoyed it partly because events were so close in time to the original Dune. Now I understand the origin of Mentat's, Bene Gesseret, the Spice Guild, and the animosity between the Harkonnen and Atreides clans.

Connie Willis's Dooms Day Book is also well worth reading, a time travel gone haywire book, with the female heroine inserted into a time period where plague had arrived with a vengance, rather than the earlier intended point she was assigned to observe.

Interestingly, the past resurrects in the present (future) in a manner I'm surprised we haven't encountered more often in the real world.

The depictions of England of the past are balanced by events in the present, my favorite present time supporting character is a lad with a mom fixated with protecting him, minutely cramping his abundant love life(s).

I found two great authors, Wen Spencer and Patricia Briggs. Wen Spencer has a great scifi series, (5 books) based on a character called Ukiah Oregon.
    Her 'A Brother's Price' is great. An alternative world were boy children are rare is very well thought out and I like how culture drives how different genders behave. Her 2 books fantasy/scifi series, Tinker and Wolf Who Rules is a must read. (I want Pony for my bodyguard).

Patrica Briggs also has 9 published books with one coming out in Feb 07. The first few are stand alones based in the same world. She has 2 duologies out. The first series consists of Dragon Bones and Dragon Blood, the main character is a hoot. The second duology consists of Raven's Shadow and Raven's Strike. But like everyone else in the field Briggs has a vampire/werewolf book out that is fantastic, a real nice twist on the concept called Moon Called with a sequel coming out this Feburary. I have nothing against writers, and other creative people using old themes but they need to put their own twist on it and Briggs does that by having the heroine be a shapeshifter in this case a cayote. The story brings in North American mythos with the European werewolves and vampires as the immigrants.

Who I hate is J. R. Ward whose 'Dark Dagger Brotherhood' series is a totally rip off of Christine Feehan's 'Carpathian series' and Sherrilyn Kenyon's 'Dark Hunters'. I tried 3 times to write reviews for this series over on the Barnes and Noble site but could never get it nice enough for BandN to post it.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I have also discovered the audiobooks in the YA young adults section in my local library. Stephanie Meyer has an interesting vampire series. Meg Cabot's Mediator series is excellent. Tamora Pierce's Alanna, Lady Knight series and her Tricksters series is highly recommended.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Moonyean;1994163;
    Piers Anthony was quite a discovery, too. The Xanth series kept me going back for more. I suppose I have a dry sense of humor, for I loved his play on words. He's also credited for writing Total Recall, which was a surprise to me to discover at the time.
    I discovered a Piers Anthony book on my parents bookshelf when I was about 12 (almost 15 years ago) and was hooked! After plowing through the entire Xanth series I also manged to cover a bunch of his other series: Apprentice Adept, Incarnations of Immortality, Bio of a Space Tyrant, Mode, Kelvin of Rud, and Geodessey as well as a number of individual novels. I was a Piers Anothny fiend!

At that age I also really enjoyed Elf Quest and the M.Y.T.H. books by Robert Asprin. I wish I could get my kids to appreciate fantasy/sci-fi genre books...

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2181471;
    I have also discovered the audiobooks in the YA young adults section in my local library. Stephanie Meyer has an interesting vampire series.
    Did you know she used to write for FORT? She's our beloved spegs!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;2183120;
    Did you know she used to write for FORT? She's our beloved spegs!
    Aha! I KNEW it was spegs (I saw her author pic and recognised her from a FORTcon snapshot ) but it's nice to get it confirmed. Too cool!

Note to self: go out and buy the Stephanie Meyer books asap.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;2183098;
    I discovered a Piers Anthony book on my parents bookshelf when I was about 12 (almost 15 years ago) and was hooked! After plowing through the entire Xanth series I also manged to cover a bunch of his other series: Apprentice Adept, Incarnations of Immortality, Bio of a Space Tyrant, Mode, Kelvin of Rud, and Geodessey as well as a number of individual novels. I was a Piers Anothny fiend!

At that age I also really enjoyed Elf Quest and the M.Y.T.H. books by Robert Asprin. I wish I could get my kids to appreciate fantasy/sci-fi genre books...
    I have no idea HOW I discovered Piers Anthony lol. All I know, is that I have been reading him for over a decade. And I LOVE Robert Asprin. A friend of mine mentioned the Myth books in class, and I said,"I LOVE those books!" and he said I was the first person to understand what the heck he was talking about lol. I love any book that's fantasy and makes me laugh, really. Which may be why I love Esther M. Fresiner's anthology she edits, the Chicks in Chainmail trilogy.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by pikachu;1696061;
    I just got Eragon at Thanksgiving and I've really enjoyed it so far. I found out that they're making a movie of it, due for release next year.

Eragon the movie
    I got Eragon for Christmas at my request, having read some pretty positive reviews of it on the movie thread. I agree it is derivative of LOTR and the Dragonrider series, but original enough to be readable. Quite amazing that it was written by a 17 year old, even with help from parents (who ran a press) and editors...the sheer length alone. I'm not sure I'd run out and buy the sequel, but it was an enjoyable bedtime read for several days...too heavy (physically!) for the beach though!

Re: Science Fantasy

I recently re-read Heinlein's Stranger In A Strange Land. It has always been among my least favorite of his novels, and running into an unedited version which expanded the story by about 1/3, I thought I might discover the story I'd previously missed in earlier readings in the new (to me) content,

Unfortunately, that didn't occur. I found myself at times flipping forward from whichever dull reading doldrum I was currently mired in hoping for some glimmer of better moments to come.

In my opinion, the most undeservingly overrated output from an author I greatly admire.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast