+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Science Fantasy

FORT Fan
    fantasy authors that rock :

Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time makes Lord of the Rings look superficial and pendantic.
    Tad Williams, War of the Flowers is a fantastic read.
    David WineGrove, Chung Kuo series is a very interesting fantasy/sci fi endeavor.
    Raymond E Fiest - not the best writer but the magician series is a decent read.

Trashy Sci Fi Authors That Kick A88

John Ringo And David Weber - March Upcountry series. Incredible action.
    Heinlien - The master to whom we all must bow down.
    Herbert - Dune, and many other lesser knowns.
    Greg Bear - EON, mind mending.
    Niven, Pournelle, foot fall and lucifer's hammer, end of the world sci fi
    Turtledove -fabulous alternate history
    Walter John Williams - The Rift, would make a good movie.
    Robert Silverberg - the majipoor chronicles. entertaining and engrossing

ahh there are so many more but I'm blanking.....
    "the hurrier i go the behinder i get" - a wise third grade shop teacher

Idol Fan
    It's great coming across all my old favorites and finding an author or two I haven't read, here, on this thread. Right now I'm re-reading C.J. Cherryh who is fantastic. Just finished "Fortress In The Eye of Time" and its sequel, "Fortress of Eagles" which I loved! Now I can move on to the next one, when I get to the library. I think it may be titled "Fortress of Owls" and there may be one more after that.

They have a medieval feel and involve wizardry and one of the Sihe (her spelling - the old-fashioned kind - for a long lost Elf with innate Powers akin to wizardry.) Great books! The first one is nice and thick - a terrific read.

If you like books like these, you can also try the Camber series by Katherine Kurtz. Another world where men without so-called supernatural powers fear and attempt to outlaw those who have them.

For you dragon lovers, I came across a book by a very young author - his first, which was amazing. Named "Eragon."
    Last edited by Bellenote; 04-14-2005 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellenote
    For you dragon lovers, I came across a book by a very young author - his first, which was amazing. Named "Eragon."

Eragon is wonderful and amazing especially when you consider that the author is still in his teens. I believe there are two other books to come in the series.

Another wonderful author that I just started reading is Tamora Pierce. Wonderful alternative world fantasy -- knights and all that good stuff.

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    For all George R.R. Martin Fans (of whom I count myself among).

He finished the next book, A Feast for Crows!

Proof can be obtained: here

I'm so excited, I love this series and the last book left so much hanging out there!

I'm not all that familiar with his work, OMLB. But I suppose that's another new author for me to consider.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Phat

This is the fourth in a projected six volume series. They are long and complicated - sort of Historical Fantasy, really. But they are great and told from different POV's so that there really is no character that is wholly good or wholly bad.

He also kills off main characters with abandon, so it can be a fairly shocking journey.

I think someone talked more about them earlier in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy
    So, what's yours and have you ever read A Song of Ice and Fire series?
    I just finished the first book in this series. I stumbled across this and hadn't seen people discussing it here. I need to visit the book forum more often!

Wow, 800 pages and I was riveted the entire way through. I was hooked by page six. Truly - I had just started it, some asked if I liked my book, and I replied, "Well, I'm on page six and I'm completely drawn in." Excellent book, and I'm hitting the used bookstore tonight to see if I can pick up any of his books, especially the next one in the series.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

hepcat!

A Feast for Crows is the next book in A Song of Ice and Fire. I'm glad you enjoyed A Game of Thrones!

The second book is harder to get through, Martin begins to expand the number of POVs and the characters all get geographically distant, but the third book, A Storm of Swords is riveting, and you get paid off for getting through A Clash of Kings in spades!

Plus, in the third book, you get much more of Jon Snow, my favorite character!

Quote Originally Posted by OnMyLunchBreak
    For all George R.R. Martin Fans (of whom I count myself among).

He finished the next book, A Feast for Crows!

Proof can be obtained: here

I'm so excited, I love this series and the last book left so much hanging out there!
    OMG, I'm so glad you posted that, OMLB! My friends have totally got me addicted to that series, it's actually what I've been reading recently. I'm just finishing A Game of Thrones right now, and my dear friend lent me A Clash of Kings next.

It's very engrossing, I'm totally enthralled in the world Martin creates. The characters are well-drawn (it's a testament to good characterization that despite a gajillion characters being involved in the plot, I never really felt lost or confused as to who was whom); I like that he avoids the traps of certain fantasy cliches; and I really like all his detailed descriptions of food.

I'm happy to see more people I can discuss this with now!

P.S. I love Jon Snow too--although now I know he won't die in any of the next couple books! THOU HAST SPOILED ME!!! (Actually, I'm kinda relieved to hear that, since I am so fond of his character.)
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    P.S. I love Jon Snow too--although now I know he won't die in any of the next couple books! THOU HAST SPOILED ME!!! (Actually, I'm kinda relieved to hear that, since I am so fond of his character.)
    Oh God! I'm SO sorry SnowflakeGirl. That is the trick of Martin's books...you never know who he will kill off next.

The word on the web though is that Jon's "heritage" is too important for him to be killed off any time soon. As you read the next three books pay very close attention to the prophecies!

I'm looking forward to some discussions about these books with everyone!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast