+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Science Fantasy

define cyberpunk, I am not too sure about that genre in scifi. I just finished Alan Dean Fosters latest addition to the Flinx and Pip series. Looks like its starting a new string since the end of the book leaves you hanging big time. Also finished the latest Phule's Company book by Robert Aspirin, got to get to the latest Discworld book by Terry Pratchett. Wife let me loose in the Borders book store big mistake. I haven't been keeping up too much with my reading. Damn box keeps me too busy
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

That boob tube getting in the way of your reading time, Ili? And then,of course, there's the television.

Here's a def of cyberpunk I found online:

Cyberpunk is a kind of science fiction which is set in a nearish future where the world is totally wired. It started (I believe) with William Gibson's mid-eighties novel Neuromancer, in which the word "cyberspace" was first used. In typical cyberpunk worlds nation states are extinct and instead corportations (like Disney, Microsoft, Nike, Nokia) or sects or racial or ideological groupings have divided the world between them. I guess the -punk is because the protagonists are often skateboarding streetkids who in addition are wired, wear enhanced reality glasses and are brilliant (often morally good) hackers. The worlds are usually both utopic (there is definitely an enjoyment of technology here) and dystopic (extreme poverty, corruption, evil etc). Famous authors include William Gibson, Neal Stephenson and Bruce Sterling.

Jill Walker: http://huminf.uib.no/~jill/archives/...d_no_more.html
    I really enjoyed Neuromancer. It was actually interesting to see how amazingly influential it was on everything from the Wachowski Bros Matrix trilogy (a term Gibson actually uses in his 1982 novel) to our own reality!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I'll put my hand up for loving Enders Game aswell

Although I'm probably more partial to fantasy than Sci-fi

Some of my favourite authors are Anne MacCaffery (specially the Pern series), David Eddings, Raymond E Feist, C.J. Cherryh and Orson Scott Card.

The Pern novels are some of the best reading there is in a long scifi series. I would reccomend them to anyone
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Yeah Rah to anything by Anne McCaffery in the Sci Fi genre. She's an absolute favorite of mine, about the only one of her series that I haven't gotten into is the Acorna series. I liked the first book of the series and then got bored with rest.

Robin McKinnley is a favorite as well. I've read her story Beauty so many times that the pages are just about falling out of the book. I also love Charles DeLint they are wonderful urban fantasy.

Douglas Adam as others have mentioned is hilarious ("the vogon ships hung in the air -- much the same way that bricks don't).

SnowflakeGirl -- for Ursala LeGuin -- try the Earthsong series (I think it's a trilogy but I am not sure). They're young adult fiction, but very good.

Thanks for the suggestion, Emeraldsong! I don't mind reading Earthsong, I just read Lemony Snicket's children's books and loved them, so why not "young adult fiction"?
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

can't wait for survivor! coolguy's Avatar

Fantasy books

What is everyone's favorite fantasy books? Mine is the Song of Ice and fire by george R.R. Martin. I just finished the first book and it's amazing. He isn't afraid to kill of main characters like many modern writers. It leaves the uncertinty and the suspense in every page which i love. The only bad thing is the graphic Sex scenes that i just skip over.

So, what's yours and have you ever read A Song of Ice and Fire series?
    You stole my smart quote!

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy30
    What is everyone's favorite fantasy books? Mine is the Song of Ice and fire by george R.R. Martin. I just finished the first book and it's amazing. He isn't afraid to kill of main characters like many modern writers. It leaves the uncertinty and the suspense in every page which i love. The only bad thing is the graphic Sex scenes that i just skip over.

So, what's yours and have you ever read A Song of Ice and Fire series?
    No to the last question, but my favourite fantasy books are: anything by David Eddings and Terry Brooks. I enjoy Raymond Feist, Tolkien of course, and Anne McCaffrey.

Any suggestions for a good summer read?

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    I think there's a thread hiding somewhere in here about Fantasy books. Personally, I like Tolkein the best.

The one sci-fi book I most remember is Dying Inside by Robert Silverberg. It's about this guy who can read people's thoughts, but the twist is that he's slowly losing his ability. I also loved a sci-fi short story about two aliens who are banished from their home planet, who everyone on Earth likes, because they are so in love with other, but the twist is, they were banished from their home planet because they were of the same sex. Unlike, humans though, aliens of the same sex can look very different from each other. The naive earthlings aren't aware of this, but soon an alien abassador from the same planet is sent, with an explanation and the love aliens are once again banished. The twist is though, one of the pilots on the spaceship carrying the aliens away is gay, and the aliens, having telepathic powers signal to him that they know he is, and they are as well. The Pilot freaks out, as he is deeply ashamed, etc. The story was written in the 50's, and very controversial for it's time, but I can't remember the title or the author. I'm starting to sound like a Trekkie.
    Last edited by Lotuslander; 07-27-2004 at 04:11 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast