+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Science Fantasy

Yeah, Hogan's Giant series was great. He is interesting at Cons too. Saw him one time and he did a talk on Velekosky(sp)
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

* bump *

I had to bump this because I was wondering if anyone else reads science fiction. I like Ian Banks, and I love Asimov's robot books, like futuristic detective novels.

Anyone else reading scifi novels these days?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Anytime I want to laugh long and loud, I pick up one of my Douglas Adams books.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I ditto all of the posters above me who said Ender's Game. That was a brilliant book, IMO. So was Shade's Children. The end nearly brought a tear to my eye.
    Gustav Holst was right!

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    Wow! I have two threads on the first page! I feel loved

As far as science fantasy, the last great one I read was Ender's Game.

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    I love Arthur C. Clarke's novels. He's so good at tying fact to fiction. His plots are very believable in some cases.
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

Asimov's Foundation series is great. I also like Robert Heinlein, except for the books at the end of his life where he seemed to get obsessed with carnal relations with younger & younger girls, preferably redheads, possibly close relatives. But for decades his books had compelling plots with a great writing style.

Ian Banks is a Scottish writer who has a whole universe, and has several books involved in this world. I like finding authors who have written a lot of books instead of being stuck with one great book you can only read again.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Asimov for sure .. love both the robot and foundation books ... they're my favorites by far!

Idol Fan
    I love early sci fi space operas and loved Asimov & Heinlein (until his later, strange turn in his books), however I've mainly fallen for Sci fi fantasy! In that, I have loved everything by Anne MacCaffery- Dragons of Pern books and love Mercedes Lackey! Also really got into David Eddings early series with Polgara the Sorceress & her father, but don't care for his later series half as much.

When I was younger I loved Asimov, Heinlein, Bradbury, Frank Herbert, Philip K. Dick and Piers Anthony. I sort of stopped reading sci fi novels for a while, not sure why but maybe because as a literature major I didn't have time for it (though I continued to enjoy a lot of sci fi in manga, comics, and graphic novels). Although, does Vonnegut count as sci fi? Burgess? Not sure.

I did miss the genre, so I recently tried getting back into it with some cyberpunk. You know, I had to read Gibson's Neuromancer. I'd like to know if any of you can suggest any good newer titles in this vein. Someone mentioned an awesome new cyberpunk author, sang his praises, and wouldn't you know I just plum forgot the name! I need Gingko Biloba!

I haven't yet read, but am very interested in, books by Ursula K. Le Guin or Octavia Butler. Can anyone make any recommendations by these authors for me? I've heard great things, but don't know with which titles I should start.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast