+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John Sandford's "Prey" series

John Sandford's "Prey" series

Anyone into these books? I've got them all (I'm a little OCD that way - if I find a book in a series I like, I have to own them all).

They're all about Lucas Davenport, detective of the Minneapolis PD...Good at busting criminals, bad at following rules and keeping his women happy. Oh, and he's a millionaire who drives a Porsche and has a cabin in the woods, to boot.

Very good writing, and every single one of the books is strong.

He has another, completely different in writing style, series called the Kidd & LuEllen series - just 3 books, but also interesting, in more of a southern, New Orleans-type mood.

I have at one point had them all, but we pass them around the family, so I don't know where they are

He just finished a new one that People Mag seemed to like.

I just finished Mortal Prey.
    Pretty good, but I have a soft spot for Lucas... who by the way I now picture looking like you John, except that he has that scar of course
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Well, Lucas is 6'5, I think, and I can tell you, there's not much chance he'd use a Porsche as a regular vehicle in real life

But I still like his books.

Almost as good as Dean Koontz for me.

Koontz is cool.

Ya know, I knew he was a big guy, but it never crossed my ind that he wouldn't fit too wll in his Porche

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    I have the "prey" books on tape. They are one of my favorite things to listen to when I'm on the computer or driving long distances.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

Fade to black
    Yep John, I have them all too. What's funny is I used to read them before I ever moved to Minnesota, and know when I read them I go like, hey, I know where that's at. Great books, better than James Patterson (who receives many more accolades and attention) in fact, great characters, and great twisted tales.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

Ugh, I hate James Patterson. All of his books kind of end as an afterthought - like he builds to a great story, and then just whips up an ending at the last minute that doesn't make sense.

Fade to black
    Exactly. But Sandford doesn't get half the credit he does, and he's twice as good.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

OK, I feel like a complete and TOTAL idiot, but I have to ask.... I should create a new account in order to ask, so you all won't spend your day laughing at me

Anyway.... What nationality/ethnicity is Davenport? I swear I read them all, and I suppose I could have just missed it, but I have a mental picture that is NOT Eriq LaSalle.

I was flipping through the channels last night and Mind Prey was on (never new they made it a movie) it only had 20 minutes left, so I didnít want to watch, but I DID want to see who played Davenport. It was LaSalle.

This confused me. Soooooo, if anyone can tell me Iíd appreciate it.

Um, wow. I believe in the books he's a white guy, but I don't really think they ever mentioned it. Maybe that's just the way I imagined him.

LaSalle's not world-weary enough to play that part, I don't think. I'm trying to think who would make a perfect Lucas Davenport...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast