+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter "The Order of the Phoenix". (*spoilers*)

FORT Fogey
    [QUOTE=nlmcp]

I'm also finding it interesting how throughout the book the message is that Harry is not his father. (I also keep getting a Star Wars flash that Voldmort will all of the sudden tell Harry he is his father....but that is my mind playing tricks on me)QUOTE]

SAME HERE!!!!! hahahahahaha I think that would be great lol

Anyway back to the book...

Can't say I liked it. Harry's bitterness annoyed me out of my mind. I wanted to slap him. I realize that yeah hes a teenager and yeah VM is trying to kill him and all that jazz.. but... I don't know I couldn't stand his attitude.. especially towards Ron and Hermione!!! They are his best friends and he can't put on a happy face.

Fred and George... I LOVE those guys!!! I love how clever they are with all of their inventions and I love their close relationship with Ron.

Ginny... She is a great character

Draco... I think she needs to do something with him in the next book. HE was practically nonexistant in this book and as you said, one dimentional.

Quidditch I hated how they kicked them off the team and I hated the replacements Ron and Ginny. Horrible I hated it\

Sirius I'm glad he died. Never liked him.. especially after Snapes memories of him/ his father. I think it's horrible how he could risk his life just to see Harry. Oh well

oh I can't think of anything else right now and I'd rather not sit here thinking for another hour..

But I think its really funny how much the writing style has changed over the years. ReRead the first one.. It was written for a little kid. Then when you get to book five, my gosh! Very mature in plot line etc.

Okay I'm done

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    I think we're meant to grow with the books. I mean, of course she can't write all of them like the first. It takes all of the excitement out of the major plot (killing voldemort) from the fourth and fifth books. I was bored with the first ones after a little bit because there wasn't enough action. Besides, if a book becomes aggravating because of a character or if things get a little tragic for you whilst reading it, isn't it a good book? Isn't a good book s'pose to make you feel part of it?
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

There is a huge difference between book one and two and books four and five. I think book three (P of A) is my fav because it blends the two different styles. It's not as simply written as the first two but not as racing and jam full as the last two. Plus I like the plot and characters. I have enjoyed all 5 books for different reasons and I have enjoyed having the characters changes and evolve over time. Harry can't always be noble and good and perfect and remain interesting. Nevile can't always be a bumbling idiot.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

PofA Photos

I finally got those pictures from the Prizoner of Azkaban posted in the Movie forum. Hope you like them. Here's a link:

Prizoner of Azkaban Movie Thread
    Draco Dormien Nuquam Titillandus

I'm not sure what my favorite book in this series are anymore! Everytime she writes a new one, that one becomes my favorite! Then I re-read the olds ones and one of those becomes my favorite! But I have to say I thourougly enjoyed Order of the Phoenix! I was disappointed that Sirius died but was happy it wasn't someone like Ron or Dumbledore. Harry's bitterness was a bit agitating but, hey, what can you do - hormones and teenage anger! Overall, this was definitely worth the wait! Kudos to JK Rowling for never running out of magnificent ideas to keep me up till 4 am reading her books!
    *Lacey

OK, I just finished reading the book this morning. I really enjoyed it. I especially liked the way in which nearly every major character was forced to undergo a transformation that moved them outside of their comfort zone. Usually, it's only Harry that goes through such a change.

I was also very pleased with the delicious evil of Professor Umbridge. I couldn't believe how angry she made me throughout the book.

I do have one question, though, that's really bugging me. I haven't read through this entire thread so maybe it's in here somewhere. I'll check tomorrow, and sorry if I repeated anything. Anyway, here goes:

SPOILER!

If Harry and the other members of the D.A. could just smash the prophecy balls and hear what was said, why didn't Voldemort or, for that manner, any Death Eater schmo just waltz in and smash the ball that Harry was lured in to take? Doesn't make much sense that they went to so much trouble when a simple smashing would've sufficed.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    SPOILER
    If Harry and the other members of the D.A. could just smash the prophecy balls and hear what was said, why didn't Voldemort or, for that manner, any Death Eater schmo just waltz in and smash the ball that Harry was lured in to take? Doesn't make much sense that they went to so much trouble when a simple smashing would've sufficed.
    I wondered the same thing, Paulie. I don't know...wasn't there some sort of rule that said that only the person with the prophecy ball could touch it or something? It's been a few months since I read it...but perhaps that's it...not sure....And did they need Harry to lead them to the ball, and force him to smash it for them? Not sure...it's been a few months...

This is just me, but I felt like that story goal wasn't apparent throughout the plot the way other story goals have been in other Harry Potter books...........I just mean I didn't "feel" the rising tension around this story goal the way I have in other books? I.e. I didn't feel the second force, the obstacles...I guess..and the surrounding tension...around this story goal (Death Eaters seeking prophecy ball). Hard to explain, but it's as if finding out what the prophecy balls were right at the same moment that the Death Eaters had lured them to it made it less climactic...hmmm I don't know... Also, not knowing that he was actually seeking a prophecy ball (via the yearning dreams) made it less rewarding and/or tense when it was found? Not sure how to say what I mean...but there ya go.

I'd just like to add that I still absolutely loved the book.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

I thought the idea of the prophecy ball was Voldemort wanted to hear it for himself, rather then hear second hand what had been said. In order to take it from the room, the person who the prophecy had been made about would be the one who could remove it. (since Voldemort couldn't just waltz in there easily) smashing it means someone could hear it one time, but maybe not hear it again or be able to remove it.

that's just my guess of course. frankly I think it was the secondary part of the story, the main plot was what the ministry of magic was willing to do to keep things status quo and to avoid dealing with Voldemort.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Embracing the Inner Geek museumguy's Avatar
    I loved this book......really was worth the wait.....just a bit surprised....the book seemed more "edited" then the first four as if the publishers felt the need to interceed to continue the magic so to speak....and that if it continues may weaken book 6 and 7.....

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    I was also very pleased with the delicious evil of Professor Umbridge. I couldn't believe how angry she made me throughout the book.

When, oh when, will JK write about Ron and Hermione's "romance"??? Harry and Cho , that was just... weird!
    The revelation about Aunt Petunia was really something! I have a question about Harry's family: Doesn't he have any grand-parents?? Maybe Lily's parents (Also Petunia's) can't be in contact with him because of Petunia but what about James'? Maybe they are dead?

+ Reply to Thread