+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter "The Order of the Phoenix". (*spoilers*)

Originally posted by kyrjar
    You know, I really believe that Draco is somehow going to be reformed. I thought all that stuff about working together and overcoming one's blood is really a large theme.

I think that Draco understanding his father's prejudices for pure blood and rejecting them would be significant. Maybe Harry will have to save Draco for this to happen. Certainly, Harry will have to do something regarding Draco to show that Harry understands that unity is important.

I find it unbelievable that VM not being pure blood was not understood by the deatheaters, though it is hard to believe VM would be such a stickler on this point, either.

I found it very interesting that the ending of this book was what I expected the beginning to be: DA's in custody and shown for what they are.
    I was thinking along these same lines. I'm wondering if Draco is going to be reformed. I wonder if he'll be like a Snape, i.e. on the same side as Dumbledore, yet still completely hateful of Harry. Draco seemed so one-dimensional in this book, and I have to say that as far as villains go, Umbright wasn't as well-rounded either. I.e. she just seemed to be cruel for it's own sake. Sirius, Snape, Quirrel, and all the other "bad people" (or at one time thought of as bad) seemed to have more substance.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    The fifth book is awesome! It was bought for me by my mother about a week ago and I'm already half-done. Such a good book. I can't wait to see more movies.
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

After seeing the JK Rowling webcast (still available online this until Wednesday http://www.msn.co.uk/harrypotter ) I think trying to second guess Rowling is going to to be great fun. She answers questions from kids and it's very interesting to hear her answers. She really is messing with our heads a bit, I think! One kid asked if she thought about writing books about Harry as an adult, and she answered that first we'd have to see if he survives these books. SHe is amazed that everyone thinks she wouln't kill Harry! So you never know what that woman is going to do! How Fun!
    BTW, I have a few pics from the third movie (the Knight Bus), is anyone interested in seeing them and if so, where you do think I should post them? Maybe in the movie thread, I suppose....
    Draco Dormien Nuquam Titillandus

the book is really good! i got it for 14.00 and I finished it in 2 hours. it's so great, especially the huge difference between the others. to bad tides turn when you think something good is going to happen
    :::Allen::: http://ajk987.cjb.net

Spoilers

(do we still need to put 'spoiler' at the top of our threads discussing the book?)

A year or two ago I read an article that said that the last line of the last book was Hermione saying 'Harry, your scar'. I can't find any reference to it now, but I swear I read it. Based on that (and really, my memory is hazy at best sometimes so don't take my word unless you're optimistic like me) I don't think Harry will die.

I loved the book! I'm already half-way through my second reading. I absolutely love seeing Neville get more 'page time', he's always been one of my favourites and am so happy to see him as an equal now, instead of being the bumbling kid.

For some reason I was never a big fan of the twins. Sure, I liked them, but I never paid much attention to them. In this book though, I'm seeing them in an entirely different light. Their exit was brilliant.

Percy didn't disappoint me, I always knew he was a jerk.

Sirius' death didn't upset me much. I had never invested much in his character. My only disappointment is that we really didn't get to know him as well as I would have liked.

Did anybody else go 'hmmmmmmmm' over Aunt Petunia's knowledge of the dementors and her fear over Voldemort's return? I think she's kept a LOT from her hubby. My theory is that her family was a magical one, not just Lily. Either Petunia's a bitter squib or she too is a witch but renounced the magical world for some reason.

I've read it suggested elsewhere that maybe the reason Neville has always been so scatty is because he's been under memory charms. Maybe he witnessed his parents' torture and thus was put under it to protect himself? Or maybe he knows something else that others are trying to keep him from sharing?

I can't wait for #6 to come out, and I can proudly say that I am now the 'coolest' mom in the neighbourhood. All of my son's friends come by, see the book, and are impressed that an 'old folk' is reading Harry Potter.

I think I read the same article....because I have a vague memory of the "Harry your scar" line....I'm thinking when he kills Valdmort, his scar disappears.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through on my second reading.....I like how you get a clearer view of the wizzarding world. That is is a world that exists within ours that us muggles can't see but that mimics ours (or ours mimics theirs)

I'm also finding it interesting how throughout the book the message is that Harry is not his father. (I also keep getting a Star Wars flash that Voldmort will all of the sudden tell Harry he is his father....but that is my mind playing tricks on me)

Again I'm struck by the increasing role of Neville....in so many ways his life was like Harry's but how they are smiliar has been down played until the last 2 books...it makes you wonder what role he will play in Voldemort's death.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

BTW, I have a few pics from the third movie (the Knight Bus), is anyone interested in seeing them and if so, where you do think I should post them? Maybe in the movie thread, I suppose....
    please do!

I noticed how JK rowling would write about something, then leave it out of the rest of the book... Like aunt Petunia and the Demantors, Harrys broom being taken by Umbridge. Hopefully she will come back in the next book, now that Dumbledore has power over the school again, Harry might get a newer, better broom. But I'm still curious about Aunt Petunia...

I don't think harry is going to die, Rowling is probably just trying to play with our minds and make us think of such dreadful things.

I hope she doesnt finish after 7 books, and makes an eighth about him working as an Auror, or the defense against dark arts teacher at hogwarts, something like that. Of course, someone said Hermione should be a teacher, I wouldn't be surprised if Hermione was a writer. What would Rons future career be??
    "I like children - fried."
    W.C. Fields.

!~*Beckster*~!

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    I would love to see these pictures from the 3rd movie!

I must say that the fifth book is not what I expected at all. It is quite different from the others, but it still held my attention and made me feel all of the emotions in it.
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

yeah, the fifth book is much different then the others, but in a good way.
    "I like children - fried."
    W.C. Fields.

!~*Beckster*~!

OK, I'll admit it. I cried at the end of chapter 37. It wasn't because of Sirius's death - it was because of Dumbledore's and Harry's agony. I had to read that chapter a second time before reading the last chapter.

I thought the book was very different from the previous ones because of all the questions it raised about many of the central characters' motivations. Lots to think about. Neville was certainly a surprise.

There were many things in the Ministry of Mystery area that deserve a closer look, too. I think I was so wrapped up in the action sequence of the story that I missed a lot of details in those chapters.

I'll re-read the entire book out loud to my kids (as soon as my friend/neighbor finishes it) and I'm looking forward to my second reading.

I'm counting the days until P of A is released. I've sneaked a look at some pictures on the net, and I can't wait!!!

(HP books have never made me cry before!)

Everywhere you go, always take the weather with you.
    ~ Crowded House ~

+ Reply to Thread