+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thousands of Potter Books Vanish Like Magic

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar

Thousands of Potter Books Vanish Like Magic

From Reuters
    Thousands of copies of the eagerly awaited new Harry Potter (news - web sites) book, worth about $1.7 million, were stolen from a warehouse in the north of England over the weekend, police said Tuesday.

The copies of "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," the fifth in J.K. Rowling (news - web sites)'s series on the boy wizard, were taken in a late-night heist on Merseyside Sunday.

Police said they are checking a white articulated trailer truck found about 20 miles from the warehouse for forensic evidence.

They cautioned readers not to touch the books before their public release at midnight Friday.

"We want to warn members of the public that if they handle the book between now and Saturday in any way other than legitimately, they may face criminal charges," a spokeswoman said.

Rowling's four books, the first of which was written as a penniless single mother in Edinburgh, have sold almost 200 million copies in 55 languages
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Dang, I hope my pre-order wasn't among those!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)

Oh good, Bravo, another Potter fan! I'm picking mine up in person.

One of my friends said it best when he said:
    "Let's see....we could rob a bank...no....too hard. We could rob an old lady.....no, she might be packing heat. Let's go knock off a book store!!!!"
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Shazzer, you know it's been so long since #4 I might have to reread it!

I know, I'm re-reading #4 right now, in preparation for Saturday, along with "The Lovely Bones" which I picked up this weekend (but Potter comes first).

You'll have to PM me when you're done with #5 and tell me what you think.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

I'm a fan too. Just now reading #4. I wait for paperback and share with my Mom. We mail books back and forth all the time. I watch the movies too and buy the DVD's.

I can't believe someone got away with a whole truck full. How sad!
    Spay and Neuter your Pets!
    www.chemkim.com

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    I live 30 miles west of the amazon shipping warehouse in Fernley, yes I typed Fernley, nevada and they have armed guards watching the trucks before they leave to start shipping out for the weekend

My mom and I are heading to Barnes & Nobles for the 9:00 "Midnight Magic" party. It's going to be crowded, it's going to smell, there will be screaming kids - but it's worth it for Harry Potter. We're going over there around 7:00, because I have 3 copies I have to pick up.
    You criticize and detest in others the faults you see in yourself or that you fear others see in you. - Zachary Podolsky, Harvard Crimson columnist

OMG!
    Harry Potter fans at the FORT!
    niceeee!
    I think I will be able to wait till saturday morning to go buy it... Will I?? We'll see!!

all you Harry-Potter-loving-Muggles!

Which book was your favorite? I thought the last one dragged a bit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast