+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Club

Well the way I've done it with my club is we got a whole selection of books that people suggested. Some had read them but were willing to read them again, some had heard great things about the books they suggested, and some owned the book and wanted to read them.

The way we pick is whoever hosts the meeting gets to pick the book for that month. Sometimes it's a book that you think you might not like or have read before, but it's a good way to get exposed to knew authors. And if you have read it before, this gives you an opportunity to discuss it and perhaps get a new perspective on it.
    Who shot who in the what now?

FORT Fogey
    I would't mind reading a new book too, also don't mind re-reading a book for the goal of great discussion. There is nothing worse than loving a book w/no one to discuss it with, so for example "the Lovely Bones" would be great to re-read and have discussion questions etc..

Yeah I agree firegirl. That's the whole reason why I started a book club. I wanted to discuss the books!!

Fade to black
    Originally posted by greenflute98
    Sometimes it's a book that you think you might not like or have read before, but it's a good way to get exposed to knew authors.
    Oh I couldn't pass up a chance to pick on greenflute.

KNEW AUTHORS!

Ha Ha Ha!

hehe
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

Fade to black
    I wouldn't mind debating what I think are some flaws in Lovely Bones.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

FORT Fogey
    Since we're doing synopses, here are the two books I suggested, although I haven't read them yet, so this is coming from the book jackets:

Anna QUindlen - "Black and Blue"
    Pulitzer Prize Winner, Literary Gould Selection, New York Times Bestseller

For Eighteen years, Fran Benedetto kept her secret. And hid her bruises. And stayed with Bobby because she wanted her son to have a father. And because, inspite of everything, she loved him. THen one night, when she saw the look on her ten-year-old son's face, Fran finally made a choice and ran for both their lives.

Now she is starting over in a city far from home, far from Bobby. And in this place she uses a name that isn't hers and cradles her son in her arms and tries to forget. For the woman who now calls herself Beth, every day is a chance to heal, to put together the pieces of her shattered self. And every day she waits for Bobby to catch up to her. Because Bobby always said he would never let her go. And despite the flawlessness of her escape, Fran Benedetto is certain of only one thing: It is only a matter of time.

yeah it's my wacky brain and quick typing. Ah well . . .that's fine. I won't forget that hazy.

FORT Fogey
    I think as the acting starter of the Book Club you should pick three different book from the suggestions. Then we can all vote. We trust you to pick from the titles suggested and will go with the ones you choose!
    Then give us either a certain number of chapter to read by a certain date to discuss, so we stay up on it,, with a goal to finish the book by a due date for follow up discussion. We can discuss as we go so it will be fun. We can also have a second selection in the wings to be ready if someone finishes early.
    You might also prepare discussion questions to get the ball rolling!

This will be fun!

FORT Fogey
    "Blindness" by Jose Saramago (Winner of 1998 Nobel Prize for Literature):

A city is struck by an epidemic of "white blindness." The first man to succomb sits in his car, waiting for the light to change. He is taken to an eye doctor, who does not know what to make of the phenomenon--and soon goes blind himself.

The blindness spreads, sparing no one. Authorities confine the blind to a vacant mental hospital secured by armed guards under instructions to shoot anyone trying to escape. Inside, the criminal element among the blind holds the rest captive: food rations are stolen, women are raped. The compound is set ablaze, and the blind escape into what is now a deserted city, strewn with litter and unburied corpses. The air is permeated with a smell of mustiness and indefinable putrefaction.

The only eyewitness to this nightmare is the doctor's wife, who fakes blindness in order to join her husband in the camp. She guides seven strangers through the barren streets. The bonds within this oddly anonymous group--the doctor, the first blind man and his wife, the old man with the black eye patch, the girl with dark glasses, the boy with no mother, and the dog of tears--are as uncanny as the surrounding chaos is harrowing. Told with compassion, humor and lyricism, Blindness is a stunning exploration of loss and disorientation in the modern world, of man's wil to survive against all odds.

From the universally acknowledged master storyteller, one of the most challenging, thought-provoking, and exhilarating novels published in any language in recent years.

Originally posted by greenflute98
    Well my book club just decided on "Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West" by Gregory Maguire. Anyone read that?
    Yes, I've read it. It was a decent read, but it took me quite a while to get through. The writing itself, while good, was a little tortuous at times. I had to have a dictionary next to me, and I have a pretty good-sized vocabulary. The plot itself was sort of clever, although I thought it dragged a bit through the middle section of the book. I actually don't think I'd recommend it, if only because the payoff for lumbering through that entire book really wasn't very rewarding.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

+ Reply to Thread