+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Club

The Lovely Bones is by Alice Sebold. I enjoyed it.

Hey! I'm not pressuring!
    Who shot who in the what now?

FORT Fogey
    If there is any book you REALLY don't want to read or anything you suggested and wish to withdraw, please post and if nobody defends it, we will delete it... Alright?

FORT Fogey
    Here is a synopsis of The Lovely Bones by Alice Seabold

When we first meet Susie Salmon, she is already in heaven. As she looks down from this strange new place, she tells us, in the fresh and spirited voice of a fourteen-year-old girl, a tale that is both haunting and full of hope.

In the weeks following her death, Susie watches life on Earth continuing without her -- her school friends trading rumors about her disappearance, her family holding out hope that she'll be found, her killer trying to cover his tracks. As months pass without leads, Susie sees her parents' marriage being contorted by loss, her sister hardening herself in an effort to stay strong, and her little brother trying to grasp the meaning of the word gone.

And she explores the place called heaven. It looks a lot like her school playground, with the good kind of swing sets. There are counselors to help newcomers adjust and friends to room with. Everything she ever wanted appears as soon as she thinks of it -- except the thing she most wants: to be back with the people she loved on Earth.

With compassion, longing, and a growing understanding, Susie sees her loved ones pass through grief and begin to mend. Her father embarks on a risky quest to ensnare her killer. Her sister undertakes a feat of remarkable daring. And the boy Susie cared for moves on, only to find himself at the center of a miraculous event.

The Lovely Bones is luminous and astonishing, a novel that builds out of grief the most hopeful of stories. In the hands of a brilliant new writer, this story of the worst thing a family can face is transformed into a suspenseful and even funny novel about love, memory, joy, heaven, and healing.

FORT Fogey
    I am not sure which Harry Potter to read, if you haven't read them then we should start at the beginning w/book one, but if we have all read the series to date then why not do the new one coming out on June 21??

I vote for Lovely Bones or Owen Meanie

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by greenflute98
    Hey! I'm not pressuring!
    You know I'm just playing!

Oh I know . . . I'm ALWAYS playing. I never take myself seriously.
    Who shot who in the what now?

Fade to black
    The thing about a poll though Anna, is that the people that will vote for a particular author/book have usually already read it. Isn't the purpose of a book club to read new books that no one has read? Greenflute might now more how this works, but back when I was in grad school we did something similar to a book club and we simply had a small committee (of which I was not a member thankfully) that got together and chose a book (of course, this was for a college course, so we had to do a lot more than just read it) for the entire class to read.

Just something to think about.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

Fade to black
    Originally posted by firegirl
    I vote for Lovely Bones or Owen Meanie
    I would have never guessed you'd vote for Lovely Bones.

Even though it's not my favorite, it's a good read and it would definitely appeal to the majority of the posters in this thread.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

FORT Fogey
    Oh and here is a synopsis of Owen Meanie, there was a movie loosley based on this, but it was not done as well as it could have been. I just thought we should have synopsis of the potenital books to help vote...lol

In the summer of 1953, two eleven-year-old boys - best friends - are playing in a Little League baseball game in Gravesend, New Hampshire. One of the boys hits a foul ball that kills the other boy's mother. The boy who hits the ball doesn't believe in accidents; Owen Meany believes he is God's instrument. What happens to Owen, after that 1953 foul ball, is extraordinary and terrifying.

FORT Fogey
    Russell Banks - "Rule of the Bone"
    Charlotte Bronte - "Jane Eyre"
    Jonathan Coleman - "Exit the Rainmaker"
    John Irving - "A Prayer for Owen Meanie"
    Barbara Kingsolver - "The Bean Trees"
    Barbara Kingsolver "The Poisonwood Bible"
    J. T. Leroy - "Sarah"
    Gregory Maguire - "Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West"
    John Kennedy O'Toole - "Confederacy of Dunces"
    Anna Quindlen - "Black and Blue"
    J. K. Rawlings - Harry Potter (please supply a title)
    Jose Saramago - "Blindness"
    Alice Sebold - "Lovely Bones"
    David Sedaris - "Me Talk Pretty One Day"

Hmmm...So what do you recommend we do with this list? I've only been a member of book clubs, so I don't know logistics...

+ Reply to Thread