+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: Book Club

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    Wow Hazy. You emailed the author. That's so cool! I've never actually came into contact with any authors before. Maybe I should try someday.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    Well, Sarah has won. So, start reading the book, all!! I have set the discussion date to August 23, 2003. You all have little over a month to read. Have fun!!!
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

0 votes - Russell Banks "Rule of the Bone"
    0 votes - Barbara Kingsolver "The Poisonwood Bible"
    0 votes - Anna Quindlen "Black and Blue"
    0 votes - John Irving "A Prayer for Owen Meanie"
    0 votes - Alice McDermott "Charming Billy"
    0 votes - J.D. Salinger "Franny and Zooey"
    0 votes - Chris Larsgaard "The Heir Hunter"
    0 votes - Avi "Blue Heron"
    -----------

Here is the new list of books for you all to start voting! I took off the books that had no votes the last time and replaced them with new ones. Voting will end on September 1, 2003. PLEASE recommend or suggest books for the book list.

The book summary links will follow this posting.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

Hmm...not sure if "Blue Heron" belongs up there. I thought Avi was a Young Adult author?

Blue Heron not belong? Por que? Why?

I think all suggestions are welcome. Including young adult, or historical fiction, or heck, anything. If it's good, it's good. A specific genre was never selected, as the interests of the readers here seems quite broad.

I like that it's in the list..because...well...it's different.

I'll read whatever. Anything.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Please don't think I'm participating in "literary snobbery", everyone, when I made my nitpick. Of course I know different genres are welcome -that's why I assumed Laarsgard is up there (hardboiled thriller).

Avi is a wonderful author, but considering that most of the readers here have passed the 15-18 year old age bracket, I'm just not sure how stimulating and provocative the book might be to them. Just like how I wouldn't be sure a 15 year old would be able to fully appreciate "The Master and Margarita".

Pour quoi? Seulement pour cette raison la.
    Last edited by nausicaa; 08-23-2003 at 03:18 PM.

0 votes - Russell Banks "Rule of the Bone"
    0 votes - Barbara Kingsolver "The Poisonwood Bible"
    0 votes - Anna Quindlen "Black and Blue"
    0 votes - John Irving "A Prayer for Owen Meanie"
    0 votes - Alice McDermott "Charming Billy"
    0 votes - J.D. Salinger "Franny and Zooey"
    0 votes - Chris Larsgaard "The Heir Hunter"
    0 votes - Avi "Blue Heron"
    ---------------
    Sorry about Blue Heron, all... Still, it was the next book on my list of suggested readings. I can only make a list of variety if you all suggest books for the club... If no one gives me titles and/or authors, I'll have to choose ones that I am familiar with. Anyway, any votes yet??

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

I vote Franny and Zooey
    It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

I nominate Jonathan Franzen's "The Corrections", winner of the National Book Award.

I think it's an incredible but relatively accessible book. Hopefully, everyone will find something to like about it. Here's a short summary from Salon.com.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jonathan Franzen's "The Corrections" is a novel for the new century -- a comic, tragic story about a family breaking down in an age of easy fixes.

After almost 50 years as a wife and mother, Enid Lambert is ready to have some fun. Unfortunately, her husband, Alfred, is losing his sanity to Parkinson's disease, and their children have long since flown the family nest to the catastrophes of their own lives.

The oldest, Gary, a once-stable portfolio manager and family man, is trying to convince his wife and himself, despite clear signs to the contrary, that he is not clinically depressed. The middle child, Chip, has lost his seemingly secure academic job and is failing spectacularly at his new line of work. And Denise, the youngest, has escaped a disastrous marriage only to pour her youth and beauty down the drain of an affair with a married man -- or so her mother fears. Desperate for some pleasure to look forward to, Enid has set her heart on an elusive goal: bringing her family together for one last Christmas at home.

Stretching from the Midwest at midcentury to the Wall Street and Eastern Europe of today, "The Corrections" brings an old-fashioned world of civic virtue and sexual inhibitions into violent collision with the era of home surveillance, hands-off parenting, do-it-yourself mental healthcare and globalized greed.

"Jonathan Franzen has built a powerful novel out of the swarming consciousness of a marriage, a family, a whole culture -- our culture. And he has done it with a sympathy and expansiveness that bends the edgy modern temper to a generous breadth of vision." -- Don DeLillo

"Funny and deeply sad ... 'The Corrections' is a testament to the range and depth of pleasures great fiction affords." -- David Foster Wallace

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It's gotten some great hype. Not too literary to be daunting, but definitely not pedestrian writing, neither. (Hey, something recommended by both DeLillo and Wallace can't be that bad...can it? )

Oh, and The White Bone, by Barbara Gowdy, is something I've been meaning to finish reading *forever*. I remember casually reading twenty or so pages of it in the bookstore, becoming slowly entralled by it, then totally losing my chance to finish it when I went on vacation. When I came back, I was already deep into Japanese authors (i.e. Endo, Mishima, Jun), and the book's been on the back of my mind ever since. So, I'm nominating it as well.

Here's what amazon.com had to say:
    http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/tg/...3473-9994754#2

Less of a "best-seller" than "The Corrections", but imaginative, I think, and definitely unique and unconventional.

+ Reply to Thread