+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: Book Club

so true Feifer! What a morbid start to our book club.
    Who shot who in the what now?

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar

Oh well... I wonder if we'd actually get voting like that! I mean, a book with all of its sequels. You know? That would be pretty crazy.
    ===============
    Voting ends on July 21, 2003! That's this monday! If you haven't voted yet (and want to), please do so!
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    feifer, true true.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

Feifer, that is a pretty good idea. Though, I don't know what people would say about reading a book and all of its sequels. I would certainly have no problem with it. Though, for all those who don't like the first, it might pose a problem. Good idea, though.
    ------------------------
    5 votes - J.T. Leroy "Sarah"

2 votes - Russell Banks "Rule of the Bone"
    2 votes - Barbara Kingsolver "The Poisonwood Bible"

1 vote - Anna Quindlen "Black and Blue"
    1 vote - John Irving "A Prayer for Owen Meanie"

0 votes - Jose Saramago "Blindness"
    0 votes - Jonathan Coleman "Exit the Rainmaker"
    0 votes - David Sedaris "Me Talk Pretty One Day"

"Sarah" is still in the lead. If you haven't voted and want to, just send me a PM or just post your vote on the thread and I'll add it to the count a.s.a.p. The voting ends on July 21, 2003. You've got two days to vote!!!

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

[QUOTE=ixcrisxi]Feifer, that is a pretty good idea. Though, I don't know what people would say about reading a book and all of its sequels.
    ------------------------
    *wanders in here by mistake and scratches head in bafflement* Huh? I don't think "The Bonesetter's Daughter" (Amy Tan) is a sequel to "Rule of the Bone". Or am I missing something here?

Oh, and Feifer, if you *really* what to make it the Summer of Bones, don't forget "The Lovely Bones" (Alice Sebold) and "City of Bones" (Michael Connelly).

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    We read "The Lovely Bones" as the first book for the book club, nausicaa.

You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

Quote Originally Posted by unexplained
    We read "The Lovely Bones" as the first book for the book club, nausicaa.

Ooops. Well, I guess you can substitute Kathy Reichs' "Bare Bones" in its stead.

I just perused some of the pages in this thread. I don't think anyone's mentioned "Bel Canto" (Ann Patchett) or "Atonement" (Ian McEwan), have they? Both are extremely popular at the moment, and deservedly so. I can't imagine those two escaping the radar here...

Well, admittedly, "Atonement" is a bit difficult to get through, but Briony Tallis is a wonderful protagonist. And if you liked the lucid prose of "The Lovely Bones", I can't imagine this work not being similarly enjoyable.

My vote is for Sarah.I read Hazy's review and he talked me into it.
    FANTASIZE!!!!!! It's better than the real thing.

Fade to black
    Well since it looks like "Sarah" will win, I went ahead and e-mailed J.T. and asked him if he wouldn't mind answering a few questions for us after we were done reading it. Here's his response (in typical J.T. non-literary prose):

Good to hear from ya. Things have gotten really busy since then. I'm writing mah third book and trying ta carve out time from the stuff that's paying the rent (interviews & articles) is tough. Sometimes it feels like it's never gonna get written. I'm also recuperating right now from some surgery and that's put me behind in mah work. So, I really can't predict if'n I'm gonna have time to answer any questions. If'n ya wanna ask the group ta give ya their questions & e-mail them ta me, I'll see what I can do, but no guarantees, ok? But, I'm way, way honored yer all reading Sarah in yer club. Yee-Haw!!! Take care, JT

So - while there are no guarantees, I'm sure he'll make the effort to at least answer a couple of our questions. He's that kinda guy. Just thought I'd share that with everyone - think of questions you'd like to ask him while reading, or after.

P.S. I can probably do the same for Russell Banks if we ever read Rule of the Bone.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

6 votes - J.T. Leroy "Sarah"

2 votes - Russell Banks "Rule of the Bone"
    2 votes - Barbara Kingsolver "The Poisonwood Bible"

1 vote - Anna Quindlen "Black and Blue"
    1 vote - John Irving "A Prayer for Owen Meanie"

0 votes - Jose Saramago "Blindness"
    0 votes - Jonathan Coleman "Exit the Rainmaker"
    0 votes - David Sedaris "Me Talk Pretty One Day"
    -----------------------
    Well... Looks like Sarah is going to win. According to my watch, there are only about 14 minutes left to vote for your book. So, either rush your votes in or start looking for a copy of Sarah.

Hazy, thanks so much for at least giving us the opportunity to get some of our questions about the book answered by J.T. Leroy. I really appreciate it (as I'm sure we all do).

As for Rule of the Bone, looks like it still may be a runner in the next vote!

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

+ Reply to Thread