2 votes - Russell Banks "Rule of the Bone"
    2 votes - Barbara Kingsolver "The Poisonwood Bible"

1 vote - Anna Quindlen "Black and Blue"
    1 vote - John Irving "A Prayer for Owen Meanie"

0 votes - Jose Saramago "Blindness"
    0 votes - Jonathan Coleman "Exit the Rainmaker"
    0 votes - J.T. Leroy "Sarah"
    0 votes - David Sedaris "Me Talk Pretty One Day"
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

IMO, if we really are going to have a successful book club, I think we should all participate even if our choice book is not picked. I was happy for the few who participated in the discussion for The Lovely Bones, although I was expecting more. I'll go with any book and we can work our way through the list.

Fade to black
    I just can't get into organizing and running a book club, especially with school starting in a month, the whole idea was Anna's, I just offered to chime in now and then. If someone else wants to take the lead, they are more than welcome to. And I'll still be glad to chime in. Personally, I'd like to see some different, non-mainstream books like Sarah be read - these are the kinds of books that spark great conversation/debate, but regardless I'll read whatever is chosen, I'm not averse to trying anything once.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

I just bought Sarah today, hazy so I'm all for reading that one. I'm cool with any of them though.
    Who shot who in the what now?

This is such a cool idea. I think that Angela's Ashes and 'Tis by Frank McCourt would be good.
    Or maybe Anna Karenina, Doctor Zhivago....there are too many good books!
    It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Ooh! I thought of another one. (I don't know if you're even still taking suggestions-but oh well)
    I really like Franny and Zooey by Salinger.
    It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar

***Update***

2 votes - J.T. Leroy "Sarah"
    2 votes - Russell Banks "Rule of the Bone"
    2 votes - Barbara Kingsolver "The Poisonwood Bible"

1 vote - Anna Quindlen "Black and Blue"
    1 vote - John Irving "A Prayer for Owen Meanie"

0 votes - Jose Saramago "Blindness"
    0 votes - Jonathan Coleman "Exit the Rainmaker"
    0 votes - David Sedaris "Me Talk Pretty One Day"
    ---------------
    I'd be happy to take over, Hazy... If you'd like me to.

Anyway, thanks for thinking of new books we could read, all. Though, I think we should stick to this list for now. I have started a list of the books you all have suggested and included all that we have not read that have been mentioned here. We'll just add books to the voting list after we read a book. Okay?

I'm gonna say that (tentatively) voting will end on the 21st of July. The voting will continue until one book gains some sort of lead. Though, if we really want to start a new book, I'd ask that some people look to vote for ones that already have votes.
    -----------------
    I would also like to agree with, Hazy. We should read books like Sarah because they aren't as popular. Plus, it doesn't hurt to introduce new authors into focus.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

Quote Originally Posted by ixcrisxi
    2 votes - J.T. Leroy "Sarah"
    I'd be happy to take over, Hazy... If you'd like me to.
    -----------------
    I would also like to agree with, Hazy. We should read books like Sarah because they aren't as popular. Plus, it doesn't hurt to introduce new authors into focus.
    Okay, I vote for ixcrisxi as new Book Club organizer.

I am interested in most of the books already on the list and will most likely read whatever is decided on. I have been looking for "Sarah" for some time, since Hazy first mentioned it, and couldn't find it at Borders, but I can probably order it on Amazon. I will most likely read it no matter what (assuming I can get my hands on a copy). So, I guess I am sort of unofficially voting for that one, although I would read the others as well...
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    Thanks...

I haven't found a copy of "Sarah", either. I was planning on reading it for EC in Honors, but I can't do that if I can't find a copy of it. I've checked my library (nope), local bookstore (nope), neighbor (haven't checked yet, but she probably has it; she always recommends the best books ).

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    ixcrisxi as Book Club organizer. I've got school to deal with and it's my final year now. So, I can't be involved as much. However I enjoy reading so it won't be problem on the read.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

+ Reply to Thread