+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: Book Club

I read Lucky after The Lovely Bones too, firegirl. I think some of her story does play out a little in The Lovely Bones, but Lucky is a lot more "real" if you will. That was definitely a tough story for me since my roommate in college was pretty much raped like that. Ugh. Makes me sick.
    Who shot who in the what now?

Just a little note for Dorthy31 and Crissy: I've started reading Jane Eyre. If you guys want to discuss it when you're done reading it (not sure when you said you were planning to start), just let me know. I'm about five chapters in right now, and I'm loving it.

Oh, and BTW, The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers was an excellent read. Very imaginative and well-executed. Highly recommended if you like your fiction wild and speculative.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Sorry I am late on this thread. I love to read and have read the first four Harry Potter books. They are fantastic for any age. Currently I am reading a mystery by Jonathan Kellerman and have read (his wife) Fay Kellerman's books also.

I have read so many books that I cannot remember what they were. But Anna I would love to read Blindness it sounds interesting.

Good Luck with what you are reading now.

Originally posted by ixcrisxi
    A sad story, deserving of a dismal plot, but filled with the imperfections of a movie-dominated society where bad only gets worse and nothing returns to the way it used to be - no matter how different the normalcy of their lives were before.
    Sometimes life is very messy. Things change every second for good or bad. Nothing ever stays the same. After traumatic events; things never get back to "normal".

I can not wait to discuss this book...but I will.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

I am about 60 pages in to the book and I am a little bit worried. I think I am going to try to only read this book in the day time because I tend to dream about disturbing things if I read about them before bedtime. I don't know... I am find it to be an easy read, even enjoyable in spots, but the subject is so harsh. I guess I'm a wimp when it comes to death, violence, etc. Anyways, just thought I would check in with my initial view of the book. I do think we will have a pretty good discussion about it though. I'm looking forward to July 8
    To be a star: you must shine your own light; follow your own path; and don't be afraid of the darkness, for that's where stars shine brightest.

Watch The Amazing Race 4 on CBS Thursdays @ 8:00!!!

I'm going to get the book on Saturday. I'll have plenty of time to read it. I'm pretty quick. I don't think my computer will be able to go online from where I'll be on July 8th, but I will join in the chat later.

Originally posted by skywisej
    I am about 60 pages in to the book and I am a little bit worried. I think I am going to try to only read this book in the day time because I tend to dream about disturbing things if I read about them before bedtime. I don't know... I am find it to be an easy read, even enjoyable in spots, but the subject is so harsh. I guess I'm a wimp when it comes to death, violence, etc. Anyways, just thought I would check in with my initial view of the book. I do think we will have a pretty good discussion about it though. I'm looking forward to July 8
    I agree, skywise. I'm a wimp too. I hate it when people are hurt etc. Yuck. Makes me feel...bleh.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    Originally posted by Paulie
    Just a little note for Dorthy31 and Crissy: I've started reading Jane Eyre. If you guys want to discuss it when you're done reading it (not sure when you said you were planning to start), just let me know. I'm about five chapters in right now, and I'm loving it.

Oh, and BTW, The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers was an excellent read. Very imaginative and well-executed. Highly recommended if you like your fiction wild and speculative.
    Okay, Paulie. I haven't had a chance to go back to the library but I will very soon. Is it a fairly long book (pages?)?
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

Um, not too bad. 300+ pages, I think, but the prose is pretty dense. You really have to hang with it. Her writing is excellent, though. I love the way she describes the action. I've read at least a dozen passages where I went back and re-read the line several times in hopes that I'd remember it long after I finish the book.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    Sounds like my kinda book...
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

+ Reply to Thread