+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: Book Club

Anna, I never said I disliked the book. I enjoyed it very much, but might have had a few problems with it. Looks like it will be a good discussion.

I would really encourage those of you who would like to discuss it, maybe to do so in pms, since some members have not read it yet. Just a suggestion.
    Who shot who in the what now?

I'm about halfway through. It's surprisingly easy to read, yet there are so many hidden meanings Sebold scatter around. I'm not sure how I would view this book. It would have to lay on the ending, I always like a book with a credible and unhurried ending.
    “In Rrrussia, vee have proverb: Only bad soliders don’t vant to be general.” Sasha Pivovarova

FORT Fogey
    I don't think they're giving away actual spoiler info and I personally am actually finding what they're writing somewhat useful, because it helps me understand what sort of mood to get into once I start the book (once it comes in the mail, any day now...).

Yeah there really isn't any spoiler information. As long as everyone's cool with discussing it before hand. It doesn't matter to me because I've already read the book.

FORT Fogey
    But if somebody gives away the ending, then...

I'm with ya, Anna.

Fade to black
    I'm pretty much with ix on this one. I never said I hate the book - but I found it trite, poorly done in parts and extremely overrated. It's a good book, worth reading, but it is not ALL THAT.

I'll add more to the discussion when it's time.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

I finished reading the book today and I loved it.
    The discussion seems so far away.
    I don't want the ocean in my seashell. I just want a boyfriend with a brain cell. Stretch Princess

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    Originally posted by hazyshadeof
    I'm pretty much with ix on this one. I never said I hate the book - but I found it trite, poorly done in parts and extremely overrated. It's a good book, worth reading, but it is not ALL THAT.

I'll add more to the discussion when it's time.

Oui, Oui...
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

FORT Fogey
    I am not sure that "like" is the term I would use for this book. It was an easy read for me and it brought about some interesting questions for me.

I was the one who suggested it, beacause I think it makes for good discussion and because it is an easy read so that a lot of people can read it.

I won't give anything away except to tell those who aren't finished yet to keep going. There are good parts, lame parts, and some that just plain suck, but it also has some very poinant thought.

I just read Alice Sebold's story about herself and when she was raped in college. It is called Lucky. It is her own true experience and I think that while she tried to keep that out of Lovely Bones it comes thru in a lot of ways just in the way other people react to grief, loss and to the " victim" it was kind of more telling after reading Lovely Bones to then read Lucky.

+ Reply to Thread