+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Club

Never too late to join Scrumpot! The more the merrier! Lovely Bones will be discussed on June 8th though, not June 10th.

See you there!
    Who shot who in the what now?

I hope you mean July GF.
    "People are strange, when you're a stranger" - Jim Morrison

Doh! Yes July. I'm sorry about that.
    Who shot who in the what now?

FORT Fogey
    Newest List:

702loves205
    ajg113
    AnnaRHR
    Bliss
    Bumpkin
    eldee
    Feifer
    firegirl
    glennajo
    GrammarGoddess
    greenflute98
    hazyshadeof
    ixcrisxi
    Jewelsy
    KylieGrant
    LoveyLydz
    MollyRose
    oneTVslave
    raindance
    SCRUMPOT
    Shazzer
    skywisej
    SnowflakeGirl
    spegs
    thirtyone
    unexplained

See you all on July 8th!

Whoa, talk about coincidences! I got the book today and started reading it. (Dont worrry, the rest of this post doesn't reveal any details about it.) It turns out, a chapter in it I'd already read an exerpt (sp?) from in a magazine. I remember being haunted by the chapter and wanting to read the book, but could never track down the magazine to remember the title. So I'm really glad I'm finally reading it!

Fade to black
    Nice av Anna. Although I have no idea what the Simpson's dude is eating. But hey, anything that pokes fun at me must be good.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by hazyshadeof
    Nice av Anna. Although I have no idea what the Simpson's dude is eating. But hey, anything that pokes fun at me must be good.
    It's paste - YUMMY!

My book still hasn't come in the mail, but hopefully it will soon...

Fade to black
    Oh in that case, very appropriate. There'd be some happy people if I ate some glue and my mouth got shut. Fortunately, I'd still be able to type.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    You know what? Well, I can't hold this in until the book discussion. I might forget all of this (I finally found a copy of it). But anywayz... There are some books that are written to convey a certain emotion or a certain message.

I stayed up until 2 AM this morning and read over half of the book. I couldn't get any sleep. It sucked me in. I was so scared that I wouldn't turn off all of the lights (I know you told me not to read it, but I did anyway... you know who you are ).

To be completely honest, this book disgusts me in every possible way. The themes are genuine but the way in which they are written makes me sick. Sebold took a very uncompassionate look at things and made all of the bad things that could've happened happen. A sad story, deserving of a dismal plot, but filled with the imperfections of a movie-dominated society where bad only gets worse and nothing returns to the way it used to be - no matter how different the normalcy of their lives were before.

I have read plenty of other books that have the same plot story and the same themes. They, however, were presented in a much more mature manner. There wasn't a crazy father, an adulterous mother, or a clueless family. Instead, they showed grief and ways of coping with it - better ways.

It is not that I don't understand or that I'm not mature enough to handle the book and all that is within it. I am only disturbed by the mere way my age is represented and how uncompassionately Susie's family is portrayed after only a month after her death.
    Last edited by ixcrisxi; 06-15-2003 at 08:52 PM.
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

I love Ruben and the FORT 702loves205's Avatar
    Wow, what a responce... it really disgusts you: Well I'm still searching for a copy. Tomorrow, I'll check out the mall and see if I can get it there...

No Spoilers please!!!

I'll let you now if I agree with your analysis later...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To be a champion, you have to believe in yourself when nobody else will.
    -- Sugar Ray Robinson

I know what it means to fly without wings!!!

+ Reply to Thread