+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Club

FORT Fogey
    Why don't you all make suggestions of books you've been wanting to read, then we'll pick one that intrigues us all.

Fade to black
    I say ya'll should read the novel I'm working on first. I need all the feedback I can get.

On a more serious note, I have some lesser known novels that are great reads.

Sarah by J.T. Leroy would top my list there.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

Well my book club just decided on "Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West" by Gregory Maguire. Anyone read that?
    Who shot who in the what now?

I'll read anyone's novel!!

But I've been wanting to read Exit the Rainmaker but it's always a special order. Older book, I think, but intriguing plot line about a college president who leaves a successful job and lengthy marriage with no real explanation of why.

How bout Jane Eyre....I have to read it for AP english.... you all can help me w/ my notes!

I'm on Classics right now, just bought some Austen. But am reading Virginia Woolf Mrs. Dalloway right now. Got intrigued after watching 'The Hours'
    “In Rrrussia, vee have proverb: Only bad soliders don’t vant to be general.” Sasha Pivovarova

I'm interested too, and like everyone says, if it doesn't pan out, then at least I've read a new, interesting (hopefully) book. And of course, it's all up to tastes, too, isn't it? I'll read anything (children's, adult, sci fi, mystery, non-fiction, whatever) as long as it's "good" (which is tough to define person to person isn't it?)

We don't need a book club for this, but I'll be reading the new Harry Potter book when it comes out on June 21st, and will probably read it ON June 21st. Yes, I will stand in line with the 11 year olds at midnight at a Barnes and Noble near me and "pretend" to buy it for a nephew (partially true, as I do have a nephew who will read it, but ME FIRST).
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

LOL...I've never read a Harry Potter or seen the flicks...are they really that good??

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by GrammarGoddess
    LOL...I've never read a Harry Potter or seen the flicks...are they really that good??
    Same exact question from me.

re: Are the Harry Potter books good?

Well, you're totally asking a biased, devout, Harry Potter fan, so....YES!

Okay, really though, she's a gifted writer, and her plots are quite complex. They seem deceptively more simple than they are. She hides clues in book two that appear in book four, etc. etc. And many of the names of the characters and places are based on interesting ties to other things, such as greek mythology or folklore etc. So if you were a complete and utter nerd, you could read them, and research each name, place, happening, etc. and trace them back to biblical references, mythology references, literature references, etc. and guess things that might happen in the series based on that. I don't do all that, but occassionally I'll notice something. They're very tight novels, with well-developed plots. Good descriptives. If you like mysteries, and like being surprised, these are good books. I'm usually able to figure out mysteries before the end, but she is exceptionally good at the "red herring" trick. I mean, really good. Often you don't even know you're supposed to be looking for something and then, bam, you're hit with a surprise.

Okay, I'll stop now.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

+ Reply to Thread