+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Club

hey i wanna be apart of this too!
    I don't want the ocean in my seashell. I just want a boyfriend with a brain cell. Stretch Princess

FORT Fogey
    Readers, go buy the book:

702loves205
    ajg113
    AnnaRHR
    Bliss
    Bumpkin
    firegirl
    glennajo
    GrammarGoddess
    greenflute98
    hazyshadeof
    ixcrisxi
    KylieGrant
    LoveyLydz
    oneTVslave
    raindance
    Shazzer
    skywisej
    spegs
    thirtyone
    unexplained

Okay--I'll see you all in one month *synchonizes watch*
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

July 10th it is. I'll be ready with some questions to spark the conversation.
    Who shot who in the what now?

I'm not officially adding my name to the list (hesitant to commit just now), but certainly will be watching from the sidelines and adding in a post or two, if I can coordinate it.

This is really a minority view here, but I don't read...

I used to be a bookworm, but have all sorts of excuses now, which may or may not explain the sudden resistance to those lovable old moldy paperbacks: "School poisoned me" and "I'm too restless to sit still for that long."

In the past I've enjoyed books in which characters have to make hard, ethical choices. I'm not crazy about moralism. Or virtue. A book which is inspiring because of a do-gooder would not be right for me. I appreciate character flaws, in both living and fictional people. Sarah seems like something up my alley. Or science fiction. Or satire.

So, rather than asking you all to accommodate my not-so-new (7 years of not really reading) stubborness with books, I'll sit here and listen and wait to be motivated again, or not. Just wanted y'all to know that I was listening in.

greenflute, last year one of my former students (now a friend) gave me Wicked as a thank-you gift. (He doesn't know that I don't read.) I haven't started it, of course. But let me know what you think of it.

If you want flawed characters, Shayla, you should read The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. Great prose and really broken people. It's very moving.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by greenflute98
    July 10th it is. I'll be ready with some questions to spark the conversation.
    Actually, I'll be out of town from Thursday the 10th until the 22nd. Is there any way we could make it a few days earlier? We should probably set an official date and time...

I haven't read "The Lovely Bones", but I've been wanting to after hearing everyone talk about it here. I'm so excited! I've never been in a book club before. *off to find a copy*

Originally posted by Paulie
    If you want flawed characters, Shayla, you should read The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. Great prose and really broken people. It's very moving.
    Excellent recommendation, Paulie. I thought that was a very original story.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

+ Reply to Thread