+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dude, Where's My Wave? - Episode 1

Dude, Where's My Wave? - Episode 1

“This is the true story of seven strangers picked to live in a house and have their lives taped. Find out what happens when people stop being polite and start getting real.” The Real World!

What? What’s that you say? You say this isn’t The Real World? Ok, it’s Boarding House: North Shore, but really, can you tell the difference? Let’s try again –

This is the true story of seven surfing semi-strangers picked to live in a house and have their lives taped as they compete for the Vans Triple Crown of Surfing. Find out what happens when people are never polite and really competitive.

Boarding House: North Shore brings together seven world class professional surfers to the island of Oahu in beautiful Hawaii. Throughout the show, we see lots of hands with pinkies and thumbs extending while they wiggle slightly and hear lots of “totally – fer sure,” “radical” and “sick.” Now that’s good TV!

First to arrive at the shweet beach front house is legendary geezer, Sunny Garcia. He’s a five time Triple Crown Champion that is currently ranked at the lowest of his career. He is pro-surfing’s bad boy and has been fined more than any other surfer for breaking the rules. Sunny is focused to go full-on and reclaim his title. Being the first in the house, he quickly stakes his claim to the master bedroom, which in his words is “sick.” From his reputation, I’m pretty sure none of the other surfers are going to complain.

The next two surfers arrive together. They are young, attractive (in that nonchalant way) and very sun bleached blonde bettys. Veronica Kay (“VK”) is a Roxy Model and has been on the scene for 6 or 7 years. VK has a very laid back attitude and is out to have a good time and see the world. Chelsea Georgeson is the baby of the house. She’s Australian, new to the pro circuit and is considered the dark horse of the ladies. VK says that Sunny is a legend, has a rep and to stay on his good side. Sunny greets the girls and gives VK a hug. She used to date one of his friends.

In strolls Danny Fuller, the party boy of the house. He’s pretty, he’s mellow, he’s clearly stoned. Okay, maybe not stoned. Maybe just very Zen. He says he doesn’t care about competition and is in it for the experience. Obviously the experience includes a lot of girls, which seemingly are in abundant supply. Sunny greets Danny with some variation of a handshake, and from confessionals of Danny and Sunny, we learn that they have a history – Danny tried to pick up one of Sunny’s friend’s girlfriends. As you will later learn, this is a no-no. Danny knows Sunny’s rep and wants to stay on his good side. He greets the girls and gives VK a hug. She used to date one of his friends.

Damiem Hobgood is next up. He is a God loving, top 10 ranked, loyal boyfriend that doesn’t sleep with his girlfriend, all around good guy that tells the camera it’s best to stay on Sunny’s good side. That’s about all we get to know about Damien. He greets the gang and gives VK a hug. She used to date one of his friends.

And in walks tall, pretty, blonde honey Holly Beck. Holly is the house snob. According to Holly, she is smarter, more motivated, more focused and less of a giggly girl than some of the other girls *coughVKcough* in the house. The way I see it, Holly is more jealous, less successful and has less fun than the other girls in the house as well. I’m not saying that all she has accomplished isn’t wonderful; I’m just saying that if you have to go around tooting your own horn all the time, you probably won’t make a lot of friends.

Last to show is Myles Padaca. Padaca (as everyone calls him) is the reigning Triple Crown champion. He’s a native Hawaiian with a fianceé and a baby on the way. He sees surfing as soulful and says that his impending baby has really helped him focus. Wow! From the reigning TC champ, I would have expected something more like, “Yo. Look at that gnarly wave.” Padaca greets everyone, acting as though they are all old friends. He gives VK a hug. I’m guessing she used to date one of his friends.

Now that the gang is all here, they settle into their rooms. The last 3 guys get a decked out basement room together and the 3 girls share a big room upstairs. After, they all go to the backyard and begin prepping their boards. Though they just arrived, they want to hit the waves. Pan to the beach which serves as their front yard. It is crowded. Very crowded. Holly says that North Shore has the best waves, but that the Wannabes make surfing dangerous because they don’t follow the rules. I guess she’s right because we see a girl out goofing in the water with all the surfers and next thing you know, sliced up leg and ambulances. We also see Sunny down the beach yelling at someone in the water. I can’t imagine anyone believing he’s controversial! [sarcasm]

Back at the house, Raina has shown up. She’s not a surfer, but rather a surfer widow. Raina is Sunny’s wife and if the amount of camera time she received during this episode is any indication, we are going to be seeing a lot of her. It appears as though she moved in, too. We see Sunny and Raina looking in the fridge which is filled with meat and chicken for a bbq. Funny thing about this part. We see Sunny and Danny grilling the meat. We see Sunny gripe at Danny for burning the chicken. We see Raina and VK trying unsuccessfully to open a bottle of wine… but we never see them sit and eat. I’m guessing burned chicken and no wine does not a meal make.

Next thing you know, they are out on the town. Other than Danny and his flock of surfgirls, it’s relatively uneventful. Because of the next day’s competition, most of them call it an early night. Chelsea and VK weren’t ready to go to bed though. They separate and crash some party by scaling a fence when they hear music on the other side. Good times! In confessional, Chelsea says how cool she thinks VK is… that she loves how VK just goes out and has a good time and is still an awesome surfer.

The next morning, Holly gets out of bed before the rest, drinks a cup of coffee, then hits the beach. The rest of the gang gets up slowly. Tired and hungover VK calls the SurferWeatherLine which lets the group know that TC competitions are off for the day. There are no waves. The gang is glad and at least VK goes back to bed. Holly, however, seems disappointed. Tomorrow morning at 6:30 a.m. the group will call again.

In the kitchen, Holly is chatting a bit with Chelsea. Instead of making normal, friendly get-to-know you conversation, Holly tells Chelsea that she and VK didn’t really get along on their last tour. They are very different people and when Holly joined the tour, VK was the only girl sponsored… until Holly. Chelsea tells the camera – “this should be interesting.”

Later, the group goes back to the beach and VK heads to a Roxy photo shoot on the south shore. Apparently, the north shore had picked up, but down south was still waveless. Going to make for some interesting surfing shots when there are no waves, but they manage. Back at the house, Holly says she isn’t impressed with the Roxy girls… that they all surf while dressed with leis around their necks and smiles on their faces. Again, I’m going to say she’s envious and green isn’t her color.

That night the group heads to another club. Sunny, Raina, Padaca and his fianceé park it at a table while Danny cruises the club and the rest of the group hit the dance floor. Of course, Danny finds himself surrounded by girls.

Holly stays home. She says she likes to go to bed early and get up early. Running through my mind is the phrase, “All work and no play makes Holly a dull girl.” She also takes this time to further comment in confessional how VK is unfocused and unmotivated. Can you say “sour grapes?” Enough already, Holly! Yeah, we get it. You don’t like VK. You are quickly becoming the squid of this series.

Back at the club, Sunny tells the camera that he doesn’t really like going out much because there is always some drunk fool stirring up sh*t. As if on cue, enter the drunk fool. Out of all the women in all the bars, this drunk fool hits on Sunny’s wife. Bad idea. As Sunny is not one to let it lie, he walks up to the drunk fool’s table and tells him to back off. The drunk fool says he’s sorry, but obviously has not properly learned the art of apologizing as he ends his apology by saying, “I’m sorry, but if you ever do something like this again, I’m gonna beat your ass.” Oh yeah. Brilliant idea, drunk fool! Now you’ve got a psycho surfer going aggro on you. Sunny tells him to get up and the drunk fool realizes that (1) he’s drunk, and (2) he’s going to get his ass kicked, which will inevitably kill his buzz. This time he says he’s sorry, but leaves the “beat your ass” part off. Sunny walks away. They call it a night.

Back at the house, Sunny tells the camera that he doesn’t like having to be the tough guy, but he has to for many reasons. (1) You never sit back and let a guy hit on your girl where he’s from, and (2) the North Shore is packed with idiots this time of year, so someone’s got to set them straight. Nice of you to take on that role, Sunny.

6:30 a.m., the SurferWeatherLine tells them it’s on! The recorded message says the swells have kicked in and to be careful!

The announcer for the TC tells us about the competition. There are 3 parts to it including the Hawaii Pro - midsize surf, Sunset Beach – tougher surf, and Pipeline Masters – most difficult of all. You have to do well at each event in order to claim the title.

The day's competition includes 132 surfers facing elimination. Sunny and reigning champ, Padaca, are in the same heat with 2 other guys. They each have 30 minutes to surf and only the top 2 from each heat will advance.

Padaca seems nervous. He’s trying to defend his title which has given him added pressure. Sunny is apparently injured. We see him using duct tape to support his knee. Though the guys seemed to get along in the house, they both admit that on the water, they aren’t friends.

Each of the surfers attempts three rides. I swear it is as if Padaca and Sunny are surfing on different oceans. For Sunny, Mother Nature was good. You know the deal. Winds off shore whipped up the perfect waves and he came marching home. It’s all good. And dude, that bruddah can carve! (had to try out some surfer lingo on ya!)

Then there was the pond that Padaca was placed on. I swear, all his waves were mushy. He couldn’t ride at all. The last wave he hit, I thought he was going to ride well, but he ended up going over the falls and flying off his board on the backside of the wave. The crowd was shocked to hear that the reigning champ would not advance in his heat… but Sunny did not disappoint and won the round.

Next week on North Shore Boarding House:
    Padaca realizes he will probably lose.
    Damien faces Sunny and his bad knee in the Hawaiian Pro
    The Holly vs. Veronica competition heats up.
    Danny parties.
    And they all surf.

For questions or comments, please feel free to contact me at sher@fansofrealitytv.com.
    Last edited by sher; 06-19-2003 at 03:35 PM.

Excellent recap Shersidhe! Or should I say "sick"? You cracked me up many times.
    "Then there was the pond that Padaca was placed on."
    That was hilarious. I was watching thinking Yup even mother nature is leary of Sunny.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

yeah sher!! Great recap! I like your use of the surfing lingo!!(thanks to John for posting all of that! John, you Da Kine!)

I like this show! I think VK used to date one of my friends!! (LOL, j/k!)

And this:
    "In strolls Danny Fuller, the party boy of the house. He’s pretty, he’s mellow, he’s clearly stoned."

Made me laugh my ass off! I know a guy that is exactly like this kid! And he is always stoned! His nickname is Spicoli!

Thanks again, sher!
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    Great job Sher!!! the recap was heluva lot more interesting then the show itself...

great take on Danny...
    Any ideas what the "D" stands for on Danny's door (other then the obvious Danny)?

Sick 'cap, Sher! Just stay on Sunny's good side.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Great job, Sher!

BTW, I'll gladly trade you a hideous looking comedian with pointy hair for one of your surfer girls. Deal?

From the reigning TC champ, I would have expected something more like, “Yo. Look at that gnarly wave.” Padaca greets everyone, acting as though they are all old friends. He gives VK a hug. I’m guessing she used to date one of his friends

but we never see them sit and eat. I’m guessing burned chicken and no wine does not a meal make.

Now you’ve got a psycho surfer going aggro on you. Sunny tells him to get up and the drunk fool realizes that (1) he’s drunk, and (2) he’s going to get his ass kicked, which will inevitably kill his buzz. This time he says he’s sorry, but leaves the “beat your ass” part off. Sunny walks away. They call it a night.

Winds off shore whipped up the perfect waves and he came marching home. It’s all good. And dude, that bruddah can carve! (had to try out some surfer lingo on ya!)

Then there was the pond that Padaca was placed on. I swear, all his waves were mushy. He couldn’t ride at all. The last wave he hit, I thought he was going to ride well, but he ended up going over the falls and flying off his board on the backside of the wave. The crowd was shocked to hear that the reigning champ would not advance in his heat… but Sunny did not disappoint and won the round.

I didn't realize you were capping this Sher! WooHoo..

I really may have to watch next week.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

I don't know about the recap being more interesting but it was a helluva lot funnier. I remember one of the girls saying one of the guys was really funny but I don't think we got to see any of that.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

Great recap Sher!

Now you’ve got a psycho surfer going aggro on you. Sunny tells him to get up and the drunk fool realizes that (1) he’s drunk, and (2) he’s going to get his ass kicked, which will inevitably kill his buzz. This time he says he’s sorry, but leaves the “beat your ass” part off. Sunny walks away. They call it a night.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Like, radical job Sher. I'm so totally stoked you'll be the recapper -- dude.

Last edited by Jewelsy; 06-20-2003 at 02:24 AM.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast