+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Surf Lingo Dictionary

The Surf Lingo Dictionary

Aggro (adj.) To be aggressive, fearless and/or super-intimidating.

Bag (v.) To leave, ditch or abandon something such as a wave, club or party.

Beater (n.) A well-worn means of transportation, such as a car or bike. Can also be used to describe a surfboard that has seen better days. "Didja see that beater he was driving?"

Brah (n.) Friend, buddy, partner. (Derived from the word bruddah: Hawaiian slang for brother/friend.)

Choke (v.) To chicken out or falter during an especially hairy (scary) moment. "Dude, when she asked him out he totally choked."

Cord (n.) The device surfers attach to their boards (and ankles) to prevent boards from washing into shore.

Da kine (adj.) The top of the line, or best of. "I just caught da kine wave, brah."

Dibs (n.) To have something reserved, to call it, as in "I've got dibs on the next round and/or wave."

Ding (n.) Hole, crack or dent in a surfboard.

Dipping (v.) The technique surfers use to get under and through oncoming waves.

Earwax (n.) Term used to describe a guy/girl who gets the longest ride in the tube.

Fakey (n.) A bottom turn or carve back toward the whitewater/curl of a wave.

Gash (n.) Very sharp turn on a wave.

Gnarly (adj.) Treacherous, large, dangerous.

Going off (adj.) When big, clean, ride-worthy swells move in and start to break.

Goofy (n.) To surf with your right foot forward. Left foot forward is "regular."

Greenroom (n.) The coveted space inside the barrel/tube of a wave.

Grommet (Grom) or Kook (n.) Young, inexperienced surfer.

Gun (n.) A board designed for large waves.

Lip (n.) The curl portion of the wave.

Meatball (n.) The lifeguard's yellow flag with black dot that indicates dangerous surf.

Moke (n.) A notoriously territorial local Hawaiian surfer.

Nailed (v.) To wipe out very badly while riding a wave.

Nectar (adj.) Awesome, beautiful, gorgeous. Usually refers to girls in very small bathing suits.

Pearl (v.) To drive the nose of your board into the water. (Hint: this is not a good move.)

Quiver (n.) A surfer's collection of surfboards.

Scabbed (adj.) To get lacerated or generally messed up by wiping out on a coral reef.

Set (n.) A group/clump of waves.

Shubee (n.) A wannabe tourist who buys surfing gear and dresses like a surfer, but has never caught a wave.

Sick (adj.) Unbelievably, excellent, awesome or good. The highest quality. "The waves today are sick, dude."

Skeg (n.) The fin at the tail end of the surfboard.

Snake (v.) Taking something that doesn't belong to you, such as a wave that someone else was riding first.

Stick (n.) Your surfboard.

Stoked (adj.) To be happy/excited.

Tow-in (n) When waves are too big to paddle into, you are towed in by a jet ski.

Tube (n.) The hollow portion/tunnel of a wave, which forms when waves crest overhead.

I may be a grom, but my guns ready for da kine, so I'll be in the greenroom soon, as long as I don't see a meatball.

I hope I don't pearl, or wind up scabbed!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Too funny Cali!
    The list doesn't include "cutting in". I guess Snake would be the closest thing to it. Apparently it is a big no no! If you cut in on Sunnys wave you get banned to the shore. Unless you think you can take him.
    We're not going to Guam are we?

just from reading the posts about last nights show, I'd wager that some people may cut in on Sunny's wave once in their lifetime, but it probably wouldn't happen again.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    that was pretty funny... cut in on Sunny's wave and he bans you to the shore- like he is the surf police or something... and the guy went in to shore- Sunny must have a big reputation!!!

Quinn I guess his reputation is huge. The guy that went to shore talked to the camera and said he didn't realise he was cutting in on someone then said "I sure wouldn't have cut in on Sunny Garcia."
    We're not going to Guam are we?

Re: The Surf Lingo Dictionary

Originally posted by John

Da kine (adj.) The top of the line, or best of. "I just caught da kine wave, brah."

Moke (n.) A notoriously territorial local Hawaiian surfer.
    John -- just a couple of corrections/additions, if you don't mind.

Da kine: a phrase that can mean just about anything -- you use it when you can't think of the word or phrase you want, or when your tone of voice indicates just what it is you mean, as in, "Look at that wahine over there, brah, she's da kine (gorgeous, sunburnt, really skinny, etc.)."

Moke: Any big/tough local boy.

:cool:
    Ipse dixit.

I'm sure you're right. I just copied/pasted from the WB site. I can't vouch for a single sick thing here.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Originally posted by CantGetNuf
    Too funny Cali!
    The list doesn't include "cutting in". I guess Snake would be the closest thing to it. Apparently it is a big no no! If you cut in on Sunnys wave you get banned to the shore. Unless you think you can take him.
    We always called it "dropping in" when taking a wave over from another, and you're right -- it's a HUGE no no.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Manu has arrived Hawaiian_Rippa's Avatar
    The main reason why alot of guys are intimidated by Sunny is because he's so well connected on this island. If he were to get his butt kicked by someone, all he has to do is make a few phone calls & then he'd have a posse hunting you down.

Aloha, Manu
    Pi'i Mai Te Naru

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast