+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jonathan Antin article: "Scissor Hands"

Jonathan Antin article: "Scissor Hands"

My mom sent me a clipping of this article from the LA Times Magazine - she knows how I just love the egomaniacal metrosexual! It was so good that I hunted down the article online so I could share. I thought it both gave insight into Jonathan off camera AND confirmed what we already knew about him. This was the "800 Words" article this past Sunday.

Scissor Hands
    [Dan Neil]
    April 2, 2006

The Bravo reality-TV series "Blow Out," featuring the adventures of celebrity hairstylist and human bobble-head Jonathan Antin, is now clipping along in its third season.

What a time to be alive.

If you haven't seen the show, let me get you up to speed. Jonathan is the surreally well-groomed 38-year-old owner of two posh hair salons, one in West Hollywood, the other in Beverly Hills. When the cameras find him in the first season, he's trying to get the Beverly Hills store up and running while dealing with his high-strung and emotional staff, the most high-strung and emotional of whom is Jonathan himself. Bratty and narcissistic, constantly late, constantly overwhelmed, the man seems to live in a vortex of self-dramatizing crisis. He brings man-crying to a new level.

Season two's narrative evolves around the successful launch of Jonathan hair-care products. He throws full-on bitch-fests over minor setbacks, nearly comes to blows with his packaging designer, and along the way he cuts glamazon hair, goes on QVC, gets engaged, vents to his shrink, and cries. A lot. Perhaps the most notorious boohoo comes after he learns the cosmetics chain Sephora is picking up his product line. It's like Jackie Coogan in "The Kid." All in all, good trashy TV.

"Blow Out" is produced by the same people who brought you "The Restaurant," the reality show about chef Rocco DiSpirito's doomed venture in Manhattan. And like "The Restaurant," "Blow Out" holds out the temptation to, well, visit the set, to audit the reality behind a popular reality-TV show. If you have the time and the money—$500 for a man's haircut—you can actually go to Jonathan's, sit in his chair and get your hair styled by this fascinating lunatic.

And, lucky for me, I needed a haircut.

True to form, Jonathan was an hour late for our appointment at the West Hollywood salon, which gave me time to consider my mission. Or reconsider. After all, I wouldn't let Rocco DiSpirito make me a ham sandwich. What if Jonathan was actually, you know, lousy at cutting hair?

I have many fine theories about this show, which is obviously a satire of Hollywood vanity, excess and eccentricity, all helpfully summed up by Jonathan himself. I strongly suspect he's in on the joke, which would number him among a new breed of reality-TV performers. Call them meta-egotists—performers like Bobby Brown and Anna Nicole Smith and Paris and Nicole and the Donald—whose talent, as it were, is to be the worst versions of themselves for the benefit of the cameras. There are moments when Jonathan couldn't seem more self-satisfied if he had feasted on his own leg.

When at last Jonathan arrives, he seems like a decent enough fellow. Somewhere south of 5 feet, 10 inches, he is compact and muscular, a plucked and man-scaped cross between Jeff Gordon and a young Robert Conrad. I ask him why it always seems as if he's in full-tilt diva-meltdown mode. "I save up stuff for the show," he admits. "Nine months out of the year, what you see is this, me cutting hair. What do you think? I'm pretty normal, right?" I'm reserving judgment.

After a shampoo by Clarissa (fans of the show will know) Jonathan tells me what he has planned. "I'm thinking a look like Steve McQueen, a young Paul Newman, and a little Brad Pitt in 'Seven,'" he says. Yeah, I say, that sounds good.

As Jonathan cuts away—first with electric clippers then with his $2,500 shears—he tells me his story. He was a high-school dropout and hard-partying Hollywood kid who wanted to be an actor (his brother is the actor/director/producer Steve Antin, and his sister, Robin Antin, is the impresario of the cabaret show Pussycat Dolls). Inspired by the Warren Beatty movie "Shampoo," Jonathan—who is plainly not gay and is actually kind of a horn dog—went to beauty school, where he discovered that he absolutely, positively loved to cut hair. "This is what I am about," he says. "I'm about great hair. See that line I just cut in your hair? I know there is nobody in the world can cut that better than me. That's perfect."

Plainly, Jonathan digs being Jonathan, but he seems far more self-aware, and smarter, than he does on the show. "Well, look, I grew up in this town," he says. "I understand entertainment. I do." He asks me if I have seen the billboard of him on Sunset Boulevard. "It's bigger than Denzel's!"

I do get a little dish. On Jonathan's arm is a tattoo that says, "Thy will not mine be done," an invocation of powerlessness that suggests he has a 12-step program in his history. Also, Jonathan smokes (but never, apparently, on camera). He's a six-handicap golfer. And lastly, he shaves his hairline with a razor, which is partly why his thick black hair has that unnaturally manicured, almost polymerized look, like G.I. Joe on shore leave. "You wouldn't think cutting back the hairline would make men look younger, but that sculpting takes years off," he says.

One hour and 35 minutes later, Jonathan plasters some of his eponymous product in my hair. He hands me the mirror. I'm stunned. It's the most amazing haircut in history. It's gorgeous. My hair lies down like sable fur. It is, in fact, perfect. I begin referring to my hair in the third person, as in, "Would you like to touch Dan's hair?"

Whatever else Jonathan is—Type-A man-child, media chimera, master marketer, court jester in pop's empty kingdom—he is a virtuoso in the salon. My hair has never looked so bangin'.
    http://www.latimes.com/features/prin...ck=1&cset=true
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Newbie

"Meta-egotist" hehe. I want that gig!

Bangin' article, though not nearly as hilarious as your own re-caps.

This link* has probably already been posted on this board (forgive me, I'm new). It's a clip on Jonathan on the Ali G show. I've never seen the Ali G show so I have no idea if Jonathan's koo-koo comments are supposed to be taken as "sincere" (for whatever that's worth in Jonathan's world), a spoof for the camera or what. Anybody care to fill me in on the show?

*nvm, apparently I'm not allowed to post links yet. You'll find the url if you search "jonathan-antin-will-eat-your-children," but I have a feeling this savvy batch of Jonathan connoisseurs is already familiar with the clip anyhoo.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm so over me View Post
    Bangin' article, though not nearly as hilarious as your own re-caps.

This link* has probably already been posted on this board (forgive me, I'm new). It's a clip on Jonathan on the Ali G show. I've never seen the Ali G show so I have no idea if Jonathan's koo-koo comments are supposed to be taken as "sincere" (for whatever that's worth in Jonathan's world), a spoof for the camera or what. Anybody care to fill me in on the show?

*nvm, apparently I'm not allowed to post links yet. You'll find the url if you search "jonathan-antin-will-eat-your-children," but I have a feeling this savvy batch of Jonathan connoisseurs is already familiar with the clip anyhoo.
    to the FoRT, I'm so over me!

Thanks for the tip about the Ali G. clip. Since we don't allow links to You Tube or other videos like that, it's better that you couldn't add that link I actually hadn't seen that clip because, up until very recently, I was on dial-up. If I wanted to watch a video, I had to really want to watch it!

According to this article, Jonathan may be a 12-stepper. That would certainly explain some of the more spacey moments he has (killing of brain cells, you know!) - including that whole Ali G. interview.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    to the FoRT, I'm so over me!
    Thanks!

The author's comment about the 12-stepper tat made me think about Jonathan's domestic violence bust in '97. I think it's pretty common for domestic violence offenders to go through substance abuse programs as part of their sentence, isn't it? The article I read didn't mention anything like AA specifically, but it did say he had to complete a one year domestic violence counseling program. Hopefully it worked and the only thing Jonathan's punching these days is the back door of his salon. :nono

I've never taped any Blow Out episodes, but if I had I'd watch the season 1 episode that included the grand opening of the new salon. Didn't Jonathan make a champagne toast?

You can't tell me that Jonathan is totally straight. I would venture bi because he's way too smooth. I'm sure there's some man-love in his past.
    Oh I wish I were an Os-car Mayer Wie - ner
    That is what I'd tru-ly like to be
    'cause if I were an Os-car May-er Wie - ner
    Ev-ery one would be in love with me.

c. Oscar Mayer, 1965.

FORT Newbie
    i met him. he seems like a cool, normal guy. caught him smoking.

FORT Regular
    He prolly beat his wife cuz he was mad she wasn't a dude... I dont care what anyone says, he is not a straight man.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    These posts have me stifling laughter & snorting.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Great article Crit - thanks!

My favorite line in the article...

There are moments when Jonathan couldn't seem more self-satisfied if he had feasted on his own leg.

+ Reply to Thread