+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy Birthday (2/3)

Thanks, it warms my heart! It's off topic to say the least (but I've been known to be like the king of digression, and hey, it's my birthday, so bear with me ), I'll tell you the latest fredlun tidbit you didn't know would fascinate you and enrichen your lives. There is more in fredlun's mind than just cutie Elyse, you know

Here it is, I'm a recovering caffeinist! I have a very troubled relationship to the coffee bean [caffeine], can't live it, can't live without it (yeah, I'm addicted). I can't just stop at 1 cup per day, once I start consuming coffee, by time the dosage is increased vastly, until I reach a point where I drink upwards of 8 tea cups of strong coffee per day. What's the upside of this? I feel vibrant, energetic, creative, I feel I can "think outsiude the box". The downside? The biggest one is, your bladder does not feel very good, you can't really sleep, you feel like a wreck in the mornings and you get rather drastic mood swings (up-down-up...), especially if you consume a lot of sugar with your coffee (combining caffeine and sugar to me is like 1+1=3, you get a "afterburner" effect, a turbo, or whatever). That and the fact that coffee is a diuretic means that at a high dosage of 8 cups and more, you will spend most of the day passing water (as well as waking up in the middle of the night), and that's not really compatible with working out to gain weight and build muscle mass (you really need the water in your muscles in order for them to grow) So, when I've reached this stage in the cycle, I usually stop drinking coffee...

since, Tuesday this week, I'm once again off the wagon. What happened is, I've been on the wagon for about 2 months. I've told myself "I don't need coffee, I feel great". Yeah, and then I've had a cold for quite some time this Winter, so I've not been able to work out as much as I've wanted to. So the temptation has been there constantly, but I've fought that feeling bravely until Monday this week when I started having coffee on my mind, couldn't get it out of my head. So, the next day (Tuesday), around lunch time, I had the dangerous and silly idea "I'm just going to smell the coffee, that's all - then I will get on with my life". Yeah, right! It was pure heaven, angelic, paradise, you get the idea. I started drinking the coffee (2 large cups; I usually drink my coffee out of tea cups, not coffee cups...), played music dead loud, all sorts of genres, dance music, rock, pop, and danced like a maniac (I do that whether or not I'm on alcohol, coffee or just clean since I'm like crazy about music, it gives me a high). Listened to the ultimate duggie tracks by the Sisters of Mercy ["Kiss the Carpet" and "Fix"]. I felt more alive than I've felt since I last stopped drinking coffee 2 months ago. I felt what had been missing me had returned. I topped it all by drinking a botle jolt cola in the evening. Remember I had not had any caffeine whatsoever in 2 months and was thus entirely clean. Outcome of this first day of resumed caffeinism? Well, I went to bed at 00:00 and at 04:00 I had not yet fallen asleep (my mind was racing like a madman's). I woke up at 06:30 and couldn't for the life of me asleep again. The only sensible thing to do was to continue drinking coffee that day, and that's what I've been doing now for 5 consecutive days...

I've never even liked the taste of coffee (just the caffeine, the sugar and the milk that goes with it), that is a sure sign of addiction!
    Last edited by fredlun; 02-04-2006 at 05:44 AM.

Happy birthday! fredlun and Latrise.
    Fredlun: Good luck with your troubles.. Addiction can be a terrible scary thing. I too am having my own dark battles with Burritos right now
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12