+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Season 15 Episode 15 - 02/04/14 - Season Finale ***SPOILERS***

Re: Season 15 Episode 14 - 02/04/14 - Season Finale ***SPOILERS***

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I agree with Bearcata---while I wouldn't have been surprised to see this kind of overkill on some of the earlier more negative seasons, after this one it was kind of a shocker. I mean we did see that Rachel really likes to win, and I suppose near the end you can get into a, but what if I lose by ONE lb. , kind of mentality....and she was right to be scared of David the way he was kind of closing in on her and had so much more weight to "play" with, but still... It just seemed to violate the way the contestants have been shown this season. It may explain some of why people weren't so fond of Rachel though....that there were aspects of her personality we weren't shown.

Now Tumi---you know when they voted her out it was because they thought she was a threat, were they ever right.

I do think that Tumi is one of the most impressive transformations ever seen on this show.

Statistics wise it was a one two punch with Rachel at 59.60% and Tumi at 54.96% just beating David at 54.28%.
    CupidGuest likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

To the Point

Most of the charts I found indicate that 112 - 114 lbs is low end for 5'4" to be healthy. I do know some folks who are 5'4" and are below that, but I generally look at them and think they could afford to have a sandwich or three. Hopefully those looks that Jillian and Bob exchanged were looks of concern and they will follow up to make sure she hasn't gone to the extreme and that this was just a case of getting a bit carried away for the sake of the finale. I didn't think she looked healthy but the girl is competitive.

I do know that it can get very competitive for the finale and many contestants will quit being extreme and gain 15 to 20 lbs very quickly after the show is over as it is not reasonable to sustain the weights they are at. In the case of this show I do think that only applies to Rachel. I can see her probably settling for anything between 120 and 130.

Oh, congrats to Bobby as I did think he looked wonderful.

Oh, Rachel did have the biggest percentage weight loss in Biggest Loser history.

My hubby and I just had a rather long discussion re Rachel's weight loss. First, we both agreed she looked pretty awful--gaunt, malnourished and emaciated came to mind--and that silver dress certainly didn't help matters. Second, we discussed her height and the proper range for female ADULTS (most ranges are based on BMI but if you input her h/w into these indexes (like the cdc's) she falls into the underweight category every single time...not to mention many of these sites (.govs and .orgs) follow this result with an immediate caution to get to a health care provider immediately to avoid medical problems). Third, we discussed the implications and public reaction with regards to the cost of winning...and this is where we disagreed.

I understand the desire to win because I am incredibly competitive but at the end of the day I just don't think I could go from one extreme of unhealthy to another...my hubby, on the other hand, said he saw no problem with getting too small to win. Further, I said there is going to be some significant backlash against this extreme loss and deservedly so...again, more disagreement!

At the end of the day the biggest loser is an inspirational journey for most people and certainly the audience, we enjoy watching the contestants leave their unhealthy, potentially fatal lifestyles for a second chance at life through physical empowerment. What Rachel did, however, is leave one extremely unhealthy lifestyle for another arguably more dangerous one as under eating often causes death at a quicker rate than obesity. Now, of course, I'm not saying Rachel has become anorexic or bulimic but at her current weight it's not absurd to believe that her body may be reacting in a similar manner to these terrible diseases...there are small pre-teens that weigh more than her and they are not fully grown women!
    I think the crux of our little discussion tonight centered around the impending public reaction, one that I do not think will be very favorable. After all, we tune in to see people leave an unhealthy lifestyle, not just exchange them. Also, I'm sure it won't escape some folks' notice that teens and young adults can and do die from under eating, but we don't often see kids die from being obese (their health problems come later...but at least they are still alive)...so some may find this even more appalling. Hopefully, what we saw tonight is a one-time push for Rachel and hasn't put too much strain on her organs (imagine the stress her body has experienced from being overweight, losing weight [arguably] way too fast and then going to the other end of the spectrum) but if viewers react like I what I'm expecting I think it could create a lot of negativity for tbl...and I think it's a justifiable reaction.
    Last edited by mindy384; 02-05-2014 at 01:44 AM.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

I have mixed feelings. I'm happy Rachel won, but jeez. People are calling out the show for being a "weight-loss show that promotes anorexia". If so, not a good way to win.

I was shocked when I saw Rachel, and not in a good way. Her face looked gaunt. Her arms & legs looked unhealthily thin. Her thighs didn't even come close to touching. The first thing I thought when I saw her was Karen Carpenter. For those who don't know who she was, look her up. The similarity in appearance was frighteningly noticeable. Karen died from anorexia, or at least from anorexia caused issues.

When they showed Jillian looking at her, the look on Jillian's face spoke volumes.
    This was not good thin. This was not a bit too thin. This was frighteningly thin. Her face had vertical creases from the gauntness.

I'm curious as to just how the show will handle their new winner in promos.
    alizarules, Debb70 and JohnnyK like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

A really interesting article of many contestants of Biggest Loser seasons 1 thru 11 you will note the majority gained weight back after the finale.

'Biggest Loser':* Where are they now? - today > entertainment - Reality TV - TODAY.com
    GabbyG likes this.

I hadn't watched the show for many seasons because I felt it placed too much emphasis on losing weight VERY quickly. I watched this season, mainly because of Ruben.

One look at Rachel in the finale reminded me of why I stopped watching this show. The looks on Bob's and Jillian's faces said it all. She looks WAY too thin and gaunt. At 5'4", the healthy weight range starts around 117 lbs. Her arms looked so frail with so little muscle tone. I hope she got a talking to from the coaches tonight and puts on at least 10-15 lbs.
    mesachick and JohnnyK like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread