+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Season 15 Episode 5 - 11/12 *SPOILERS*

Re: Season 15 Episode 5 - 11/12 *SPOILERS*

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I don't want to argue the point, but I am flabbergasted that you don't think Olympic weightlifters are muscular. Also, they are most certainly "actual weightlifters". We're not talking about bodybuilders, which is not the same thing at all. (No disrespect to bodybuilders, as they work very hard as well - but they do not train to lift as worldwide competitors.)
    I meant that body builders lift weights - a lot. They too are actual weight lifters. I just don't see these Olympic weightlifters as *just* muscular. If they were then they wouldn't have huge stomachs that roll well over their pants/shorts. It just appears as if they use their girth to lift these weights - and they happen to have some muscles underneath the layers of fat. I don't see why you can't have more lean weightlifters, but maybe they just need that girth to be able to lift those crazy heavy loads. As I said before, I've seen plenty of lean, fit, muscular men lift very heavy weights, that don't have the huge belly that these Olympians carry around.
    Shoepie likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

I had to look up Holly after this discussion. Some interesting facts (which may have been mentioned on the show; I sometimes have to do put-the-kids-to-bed breaks):

--she was an offensive lineman in high school
    --her brother plays for the New York Jets
    --she was once involved in a head-on collision but was not seriously injured because she managed to push the steering wheel away from her during the crash (!), leaving it "crumpled and broken," according to the article.

Quote Originally Posted by lizardcat View Post
    I had to look up Holly after this discussion. Some interesting facts (which may have been mentioned on the show; I sometimes have to do put-the-kids-to-bed breaks):

--she was an offensive lineman in high school
    --her brother plays for the New York Jets
    --she was once involved in a head-on collision but was not seriously injured because she managed to push the steering wheel away from her during the crash (!), leaving it "crumpled and broken," according to the article.
    I saw her in an interview on 60 Minutes before she went to the London Olympics.

Remember there are various weight classes in Olympic Weight Lifting and Holley is in the Heavy Wt class.

Google Image Result for http://coedbc.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/holly-mangold-olympian.jpg

pic of the Women's Olympic Weight Lifting Team.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

How is being overweight not a psychological issue? Many people over eat because of psychological problems.
    mesachick likes this.
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    How is being overweight not a psychological issue? Many people over eat because of psychological problems.
    Well, I'm sure we'll get our answer soon [cue sad violins while armchair-psychologist trainer sits down with Holley to discuss her "issues"].

I do not like the armchair trainer segments. To me that is all fake.
    Midol likes this.
    There's no place like home!

The difference between a body builder and a weight lifter is in the body fat. A body builder eats a very lean diet and is trying to make as much definition as possible. I think Holly ate her way into a weight class because she said she was always heavy. It isn't that she trained to get to that weight class. Now if she wants to compete at the next one down she needs to lose a significant amount. The lower weight classes have the leaner competitors.

I think she found a sport that worked with the body she had and trained with lifting, lifting and more lifting.
    Bearcata likes this.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I'm surprised no one commented on Blue's huge weight loss after a week of having immunity. I'm betting they all did some water loading before the weigh in when they were immune. Then the next week they would have a huge drop. Little did they know they would have immunity again.

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    The difference between a body builder and a weight lifter is in the body fat. A body builder eats a very lean diet and is trying to make as much definition as possible. I think Holly ate her way into a weight class because she said she was always heavy. It isn't that she trained to get to that weight class. Now if she wants to compete at the next one down she needs to lose a significant amount. The lower weight classes have the leaner competitors.

I think she found a sport that worked with the body she had and trained with lifting, lifting and more lifting.
    Yes, and when you have a sport with weight classes, you work with what you've got. Mike Tyson, for example, could never have competed in a featherweight class. Holly can drop to a lower weight class, but I understand her concern about how weight loss will affect her ability to be competitive. After all, she had phenomenal success at a very large size. It is an interesting conundrum and very unique to TBL. Bob is the perfect trainer for her - I follow him on Facebook and he has become very involved in Cross Fit and weight training.

(Just as an aside - the Cross Fit competitors are unbelievable. We watched the Cross Fit Games on TV recently. The feats of strength are jaw-dropping. The guy who has been the champion three years running is quite short, and is very muscular but not light - I saw his weight recorded at 195 lbs.)

A bodybuilder lifts weights to achieve an esthetic ideal. (Sorry, I've never heard a bodybuilder refer to themselves as a "weightlifter".) A weightlifter lifts weights because that's what they do.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

This year I am really playing catch up because the show is already done I think?

Anyway. I had never heard of Ruben before this show and to be honest I did not very much like his personality.
    He was saying the right thing, but I did not feel he was really into it.

I also wonder how come Bob always has a great team. his is not the first time Bob's team is winning a lot in the beginning. It starts to annoy the heck out of me.

Even them winning the food challenge was annoying. Then I like Jillian but it feels to me she is going to quit this show. She was definitely very angry and to me it also felt that this happened only so they could get that Ruben guy back. Apparently he is a fan favourite. With such a personality he must be a great signer)

What I do like is that during the weight-in we do not have to hear all those boring speeches. Not sure if I miss the voting cause it is quite boring now. So far we have hardly gotten to know the contestants. I did notice however that one woman of the red team. The one who always talks so much and a black woman from the white team sleep together in one room. It surprised me cause I thought you sleep with your teammates in one room.

Another thing I feel that Dolvet does not take care of the diet cause every year his team does not lose as much as the other teams.
    Oh well. of to watch the happy return of the AI singer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456