+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Season 15 Episode 4 - 11/05 *SPOILERS*

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Season 15 Episode 4 - 11/05 *SPOILERS*

Discussion for tonight's episode.

I'm pretty sad about who's already gone. I really hoped they could go a lot further even if they didn't win.

FORT Fogey

Re: Season 15 Episode 4 - 11/05 *SPOILERS*

Yea, I was sorry to see Ruben go, too. I loved the treat challenge.

I wonder what is happening this year; no one is losing as fast as in previous seasons.

I would definately want Dolvet as my trainer. He is kind, skilled and and inspires the contestants.

Bob and his weight lifting woman was a hopelessly boring segment. Does anyone really care if she goes to the olympics? It is not sport I ever watch.
    CrazyDutchWoman likes this.

I would have liked to see Ruben stick around longer. I'd also really love to know how he managed to lose SO little--he's a huge man. Looking forward to his update.

Interested to see if/how Dolvett can figure out why Tonya is also not losing.

Someone needs to tell Holley (very quickly) that corn rows have been out of style for 20 years. They were not flattering on her.
    Shoepie likes this.
    There's no place like home!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I guess the corn rows keep the hair out of her eyes when she's sweating....but I agree, not flattering.

I just caught that unlike everyone else, who pronounces Dolvett as if it is Dole-vett, Dolvett himself says it as if it is Doll-vett. At least I think it was Dolvett speaking when I heard that version.

I'm not surprised Ruben is gone based on past performance... he was always near the bottom of the team....and they are better off without him since he didn't seem to lose. Because of him they always had to lose a huge # of lbs. to reach the winning %, and most of the rest of them are not that big. I don't know why he didn't lose...maybe his body had been subjected to so many diets, etc., over the years that it is very resistant to losing, goes into famine mode very easily. On the plus side, he probably got out of there early enough in the season that he was able to spend some of the summer with the kids in his music camp. Compared to the others he also didn't seem as into losing...maybe because he has so much else going on in his life....he doesn't expect it to miraculously improve the way some of the others have...it's already pretty good. He just wants to get healthy so it can continue....and for himself as it were, not for kids who are depending on him.

FORT Fogey

Extreme exercise can cause fluid retention as does extreme calorie reduction. The latter is new to me. This link has some good information.

Water Retention and Weight Loss: You Can Lose Fat, But Not Weight? | Muscle For Life

I will play trainer for a minute here. The day before weigh in, no carbs and only walk for exercise. And don't over do the walking. Something different has to happen, clearly.

If we see big numbers next week I have a hunch they will not mention what changed.

FORT Fogey

Bob was a guest on Bethenny a week or so ago. He said, eat breakfast even if you are not hungry. His reason was that eating frequently boosts metabolism. This is not true. Eating when you are not hungry is nuts. I always find myself questioning his nutritution logic.

More Proof “Eating Small Meals More Frequently” Does Not Boost Metabolism AnthonyColpo
    mesachick and Photobabe like this.

I liked Ruben and was sad to see him go.

Is it just me, or does the weight loss this season seem a lot less lower than in previous seasons.

Shoepie - I totally agree about breakfast. I hardly ever eat it, and when I do I end up eating more throughout the day than I normally would. I am just more hungry. The thing is that everyone is different and you need to experiment to figure out what works for you. I would never want to eat just because someone told me I had to based on the time of day, when I wasn't feeling hungry on my own.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Something is definitely wrong with the weight or should I say non-weight losses. Since we are not seeing what is going on at the ranch, I would not be surprised that it is eating habits.
    There's no place like home!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    I would never want to eat just because someone told me I had to based on the time of day, when I wasn't feeling hungry on my own.
    Shoepie, thanks for that link. Very interesting article. I don't watch this show but a Fort friend told me about the link as she knows I have experienced much of what is going on here.

Mesachick, yes, it's good to know your body and do what's best for you, but if I could just play devil's advocate here for a minute...

I started a weight loss plan this past April. I have currently lost 76 pounds. This is the least I have weighed in a good 20 years or more. I am finding that eating very small meals every 3 hours DOES boost metabolism. I had tried crash diets infrequently in the past but always gave up. The thing is I ALWAYS had a big breakfast but then would never eat for hours on end, sometimes as much as 6 hours or more would go by and I would not eat. I just rarely felt hunger. My son, who is lean, vegetarian, and fairly knowledgeable about nutrition, would chide me and tell me to eat every 2 hours to 3 hours or so...a handful of nuts, an ounce or so of low-fat cheese, a piece of fruit. I never listened. I wasn't hungry. My Italian-American style of cooking didn't help matters any as a 1/2 cup serving of pasta was laughable, imo. It wasn't so much that I was gluttonous in my eating habits, as most days lunch would be a yogurt at around 3 pm, but that the things I DID eat were highly caloric. That, plus the fact I was basically sedentary did me in. I am coming out of my hermit like existence. I still can't walk much and anticipate knee replacement surgery next year. I am on the exercise bike every other day. I was doing 30 minutes a day, but experienced a month long plateau in July, much like what the article shoepie provided says. My daily caloric intake is around 950 calories. I am on a meal replacement diet, which provides 5, 110 calorie meals a day and I cook my own "lean and green" dinner of around 400 calories. Tonight's dinner is 7 oz of baked tilapia, and 2 cups of garden salad with 2 tsp olive oil and 2 tsp balsamic vinegar.

It sounds counterintuitive that a restricted caloric intake plus increased exercise would slow one's metabolism down, but that is exactly what happened to me. Coupled with the fact that I was already prone to water retention and swelling in my feet/ankles, I was losing fat, but not pounds. It's disheartening. What finally broke the month long plateau was throwing caution to the wind, not measuring my olive oil/balsamic dressing and eating chicken francese, which is not allowed on this diet. No carbs, no fruit, no dairy.

Weight loss has slowed down, but I am still losing about 8 pounds a month. I want to lose about 50 more. I give these contestants a lot of credit. I would never be able to put my body through the rigorous exercising they do. At the ripe old age of 56 and being so inactive for so long, I fear I would have a heart attack if I attempted what they are doing. The positives to losing 76 pounds are numerous... I feel so much better and am finally getting out into the world again. I can stand for longer periods of time, walking better without my cane, and have gone down at least 3 sizes now and able to buy clothing in regular stores, and not plus-sized.
    PWS and Photobabe like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast