+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Season 15 Episode 3 - 10/29 *SPOILERS*

Re: Season 15 Episode 3 - 10/29 *SPOILERS*

I did not mean the nasty behavior, that I can live without.
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    Actually, there are a lot of great apps out there now that tell you your exact distance, pace, incline and all that good stuff. I use Map My Run. I used to not really enjoy running, but then I started working out again after the dreaded menopause hit and the weight gain started, and my trainer happens to run marathons. First it was the treadmill. I got so bored, OMG. Then I ran a little bit outside. Had my music, my app and myself. Turns out that is so much better than the treadmill! I have discovered all kinds of great places to run, I am outside breathing in fresh air instead of gym air (sweaty dudes!) and there is no fear of falling off a treadmill or getting a little distracted and losing one's balance. Now I run half marathons and while by the end I am pretty much done lol, it's been the best experience I've had in a long time. If you have the correct shoes, you will be just fine running on roads (which are actually better to run on than sidewalks).

Everyone is certainly different, and I am sure that there are some people that still prefer treadmills, but man once I started running outside, I can't stand running on treadmills unless I have to due to bad weather or not enough time.

Running is the best exercise for getting lean btw
    I am glad that you found a form of cardio that you like to do and are passionate about. I truly believe that the best exercise for getting anyone lean is the one they like to do and stick to and are kinda passionate about.
    PWS, mesachick and lizardcat like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Not everyone is a runner or likes doing it outside. At least on a treadmill you can set speed, incline etc and have a really good idea of the distance, that and the treadmill platform is a lot kinder to your knees, ankles, and hips than concrete sidewalks and asphalt roads.
    I'm a runner and I have realized that it really isn't for everyone (after a horrible few weeks of trying to help my husband train for a Spartan race). I despise treadmills because I also despise the gym - besides, I can't take my dog on a treadmill and he is my running buddy. There is some value in treadmills for race training, especially if your outdoor terrain doesn't allow you to hill train and if you don't have an app or watch that lets you know your pace. Overall, though, treadmills suck the joy out of running for me.

For TBL contestants, though, running is a must. The goal is to get the weight off in a period that will enable them to win $250K and to do that, you gotta run. Several past contestants have really embraced the sport and have continued to compete in races. Awesome, because now they're athletes and I believe that participation in a competitive sport is a big motivation to continue a healthy, active lifestyle (as opposed to gym drudgery, unless you're a Cross Fit disciple). It's no accident that the former athletes that become TBL contestants are the more successful ones after the show.

ETA: I should add - it's not necessary to participate in competitive sports to have a healthy, active lifestyle. TBL contestants are a very competitive bunch, overall. I would guess they are chosen (partly) for the show because of that trait.
    Last edited by AJane; 11-03-2013 at 11:48 AM.
    mesachick likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I'm a runner and I have realized that it really isn't for everyone (after a horrible few weeks of trying to help my husband train for a Spartan race). I despise treadmills because I also despise the gym - besides, I can't take my dog on a treadmill and he is my running buddy. There is some value in treadmills for race training, especially if your outdoor terrain doesn't allow you to hill train and if you don't have an app or watch that lets you know your pace. Overall, though, treadmills suck the joy out of running for me.

For TBL contestants, though, running is a must. The goal is to get the weight off in a period that will enable them to win $250K and to do that, you gotta run. Several past contestants have really embraced the sport and have continued to compete in races. Awesome, because now they're athletes and I believe that participation in a competitive sport is a big motivation to continue a healthy, active lifestyle (as opposed to gym drudgery, unless you're a Cross Fit disciple). It's no accident that the former athletes that become TBL contestants are the more successful ones after the show.

ETA: I should add - it's not necessary to participate in competitive sports to have a healthy, active lifestyle. TBL contestants are a very competitive bunch, overall. I would guess they are chosen (partly) for the show because of that trait.
    Bob Harper noted that in a recent video on the NBC website when he was talking about the casting process..the only thing about that is I think it defeats the basic premise of this show that it is possible to lose weight quickly through exercise and diet modification by regular normal people. I really don't want to see an Olympian, former NFL player, reality show winner who all have had able time, money, knowledge and talent do this show. They all have had golden opportunities already. Let the unknown person have their chance at the golden ticket, give that person the tools they need and watch them either fail or blossom.

Also running in not a must, as we have seen in previous seasons those folks with knee and hip injuries who do just fine using other methods. Ali Vincent was well known for doing a lot of her cardio in the pool.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I would love to see a season with all people with knew etc. injuries that rule out running. There have been some people in the past who haven't been able to run and who lost but we didn't see much of what they did. I guess walking in the pool isn't as dramatic as falling off the treadmill. I've had knee issues, currently ok because I had those injections in the knees, but I don't want to aggravate them again with running, and would love to see the process that they use when they can't run in more detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Bob Harper noted that in a recent video on the NBC website when he was talking about the casting process..the only thing about that is I think it defeats the basic premise of this show that it is possible to lose weight quickly through exercise and diet modification by regular normal people. I really don't want to see an Olympian, former NFL player, reality show winner who all have had able time, money, knowledge and talent do this show. They all have had golden opportunities already. Let the unknown person have their chance at the golden ticket, give that person the tools they need and watch them either fail or blossom.

Also running in not a must, as we have seen in previous seasons those folks with knee and hip injuries who do just fine using other methods. Ali Vincent was well known for doing a lot of her cardio in the pool.
    Ali Vincent was a competitive athlete before TBL, and presumably had the knowledge to do the work on her own. Anyway, she's now a triathlete as well as a marathoner so she must run as well as she swims.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I would like to see the show go back to the original, ordinary people. This may be why I am not into the season. I am tired of seeing actors, musicians, wannabes. Let them have their DWTS show and give us back the original reality tv.
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I would love to see a season with all people with knew etc. injuries that rule out running. There have been some people in the past who haven't been able to run and who lost but we didn't see much of what they did. I guess walking in the pool isn't as dramatic as falling off the treadmill. I've had knee issues, currently ok because I had those injections in the knees, but I don't want to aggravate them again with running, and would love to see the process that they use when they can't run in more detail.
    Thank you, I have pulled my left knee three times this year I work around it mainly by using the recumbent bike and the elliptical. Going up stairs is easy its going downstairs that is dangerous and not much fun. Oh, and instead of running and further damaging knees, hips and ankles how about race walking a marathon.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Ali Vincent was a competitive athlete before TBL, and presumably had the knowledge to do the work on her own. Anyway, she's now a triathlete as well as a marathoner so she must run as well as she swims.
    While Ali could work out as a synchronized swimmer that does not mean she can train herself effectively as a marathoner or cyclist. I am sure she got some help.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I've never tried an eliptical machine---is it supposed to be easier on the knees than a treadmill, but not burn as many calories? We hardly ever see it on the show even though this last show his team said it was one of Dolvett's favorite machines.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast