+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: 1/14/13 Show Discussion

Re: 1/14/13 Show Discussion

This show used to inspire me to exercise, it no longer does. I just checked the TV schedule and it is two hours for at least the next two Mondays. I may check in On Demand, but I think I'm done. They really could do so much with this show.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    But it was only 4 1/2 hours each day they could not exercise, what about the other times when they should have been working.
    Maybe they decided to take a break from all of the extreme workouts they had to do when they first got there.

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyG View Post
    This show used to inspire me to exercise, it no longer does. I just checked the TV schedule and it is two hours for at least the next two Mondays. I may check in On Demand, but I think I'm done. They really could do so much with this show.
    Its up the next day ON Demand and only 88 minutes, much easier to watch.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    The fact that the blue team lost weight proves that people don't have to exercise to lose weight. All of the extreme exercise is just for drama for a TV show.
    Of course you do not have to exercise to lose weight but the problem with losing weight without exercise is that the body tends to cannibalize muscle as a source of protein when there is a calorie deficit. The entire point of exercising while dieting is to maintain the muscle you do have and muscle helps keep your metabolism high so you can burn the most possible amount of fat. Also all being trapped in the junk food room is reduce the number of workouts they did a day probably only by one.These folks lost weight by sticking to what ever food plan they are on and by working out just not as much as they normally do. I do wonder if the extra sleep they got (while waiting in the junk food room) actually was perhaps more helpful because they gave their bodies more time to recover from their daily exercise routine.
    mandmmom2 likes this.

To the Point

I have a friend that had gained quite a bit of weight through the years, at least 50 or so pounds. The first thing that was changed was bedtime. This friend had a terrible sleep schedule and was never getting more than about 5 hours a night, now that number is up to 7. Within a couple of weeks of increasing the amount of sleep she was getting she started to drop some weight without doing anything else. When she started to add in a little exercise and started being more aware of everything she ate she really started seeing success. Every time she has hit a plateau and she starts looking at what can be adjusted it is almost always that her sleep habits have started slipping again. Sleep is important. I know I don't get enough sleep and it's no one's fault but mine.
    Shoepie likes this.

If I don't get enough sleep I tend to eat more junk....I don't pay attention to what I'm eating. This is something I'm working on. Not easy though.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

And....physical exercise is good for your heart....I know skinny people who eat great but don't exercise and have heart issues.

There are other factors, like genetics, that play a big role in people's health. But the rule of thumb is to eat healthy and exercise.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2 View Post
    If I don't get enough sleep I tend to eat more junk....I don't pay attention to what I'm eating. This is something I'm working on. Not easy though.
    Me too. Not getting enough sleep is a big problem with today's society and they have done quite a few studies on it especially here in the DC area. Part of it is that folks are trying to do too much and figure an hour or two less of sleep a day is one way of packing more into a day.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Of course you do not have to exercise to lose weight but the problem with losing weight without exercise is that the body tends to cannibalize muscle as a source of protein when there is a calorie deficit. The entire point of exercising while dieting is to maintain the muscle you do have and muscle helps keep your metabolism high so you can burn the most possible amount of fat. Also all being trapped in the junk food room is reduce the number of workouts they did a day probably only by one.These folks lost weight by sticking to what ever food plan they are on and by working out just not as much as they normally do. I do wonder if the extra sleep they got (while waiting in the junk food room) actually was perhaps more helpful because they gave their bodies more time to recover from their daily exercise routine.
    It seems logical that if there's a famine, (or a well-balanced diet at the Biggest Loser ranch), fat will be burned first... since the body "needs" muscle. Fat is stored energy: it's purpose is for surviving famines. Also, the "metabolism" of the blue team was fine... even though they just sat around in the junk room.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Me too. Not getting enough sleep is a big problem with today's society and they have done quite a few studies on it especially here in the DC area. Part of it is that folks are trying to do too much and figure an hour or two less of sleep a day is one way of packing more into a day.
    I'm trying to teach my girls that sleep is important. If it's bed time and their chores not done they skip their chores and go to bed. The only time this happens is on Mondays b/c they both have piano lessons, voice lessons, and basketball practice after school. I make sure their homework is priority and they are allowed to skip chores on Mondays only. I try to instill in them that it's okay to let some things go and some things can wait until the next day or the weekend. It's about having a balance in life and making sure to get our rest and fill our lives up with people we love.

It's hard for me b/c I am OCD about my house but I've learned over the past two years that I can't do it all and that if I don't let things go then I'm teaching my girls they have to do it all even if it means lack of sleep and being unhealthy. So, the past few months and this year I'm focusing on time with them and letting the house go (not meeting my par).
    Jamie5632 and GabbyG like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast