+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Biggest Loser 2 hr show 1/7/13

Re: Biggest Loser 2 hr show 1/7/13

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyG View Post
    More than likely, if he is hiding it, his parents are probably not buying the crap.
    Where else would he get it? I am sure the parents buy it. He probably grabs them from the box his parent's buy, and hides them to eat later when he's not supposed to. You could tell they were not the individually sold type of item.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384 View Post
    Here is what I don't understand. I am an exercise nut...I do cardio and strength training at least 3x a week and I'm pretty strong for a female (I can bench more than my hubby ). BUT LET ME BE CLEAR...if I take a week off and go back to the gym hardcore I feel like my arms and legs will literally just fall off, and this is from someone who exercises regularly and is already strong. I still hurt sometimes after a hard workout and have to really increase my amino acid intake just to be able to freaking walk normally the next day.
    I just don't know how these folks go from completely sedentary lifestyles to these workouts without practically dying from the resulting pain and stress on the muscles and joints....they must just show us the "crazy" workouts in the editing and the contestants just walk or slowly keep moving the rest of the time because otherwise I can guarantee they could not do this!
    I am just like you Mindy - I work out practically every day, sometimes twice a day, and if I stop working out for a week, I am definitely sore for a few days when I start back up. I think that part of how they seem to recover quicker is that they sit around icing, which I don't do, don't have the time to either lol. But if you watch closely you'll see shots of them sitting with ice packs all over their legs. They also don't talk about good workout regimes, like not working out the same body part two days in a row. I would hope they practice that but it's hard to tell. Muscles must have time to recover, that's when they actually respond to all the work you are putting them through.

I've found as I get older (late 40s now), it's my joints and tendons that are the real problem--I'm much more prone to pull my Achilles tendon, hurt my knee, etc., if I up my time or intensity too quickly. I know some contestants have really messed up their knees in the past, and I've never understood why they continue to make the "older" folks follow these workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    That would change the relationship between trainer and contestant in a very bad way. It would be like your therapist dropping you! They would be concerned about their relationship with the trainer more than concentrating on themselves.
    This is true. There's still gotta be something better than contestant voting, though. Some of these people are so...what's the word...emotionally fragile, I just doubt their abilities to make a good decision under pressure. And I get really annoyed when they vote off someone who is doing all the right things, just because that person is a threat. It sends the wrong message IMHO.

To the Point

Being a female over a certain age......let's just go with midlife.......I am much more prone to muscle tears,etc.. Not fun at all!

I absolutely hated the scene of them dumping ice on the woman (can't remember who it was) on Jillian's team. That was stupid. Seriously, if she really had passed out there was a reason, if nothing more than they had pushed her to her WALL of the moment. Now granted, maybe I missed something there, or was that a preview for next week, either way, that bothered me.

FORT Fogey

Here is what I don't understand. I am an exercise nut...I do cardio and strength training at least 3x a week and I'm pretty strong for a female (I can bench more than my hubby ). BUT LET ME BE CLEAR...if I take a week off and go back to the gym hardcore I feel like my arms and legs will literally just fall off, and this is from someone who exercises regularly and is already strong. I still hurt sometimes after a hard workout and have to really increase my amino acid intake just to be able to freaking walk normally the next day.
    I just don't know how these folks go from completely sedentary lifestyles to these workouts without practically dying from the resulting pain and stress on the muscles and joints....they must just show us the "crazy" workouts in the editing and the contestants just walk or slowly keep moving the rest of the time because otherwise I can guarantee they could not do this!

I have the same problem--actually, I'm really having it at the moment, because I went from using at least an elliptical for an hour every day to doing nothing for quite some time, due to my shoulder injury. Then it was just little stuff like walking the dog. Even now, I cannot do anywhere near what I used to do on the elliptical without it affecting my shoulder--you wouldn't think it would, but it does, and then my PT and surgeon start telling me what I can and must not do again. I do PT for about an hour a day, but that's not the same, and for four weeks after the surgery, it was nothing at all, and then just guided therapy for the next two weeks before I was allowed to do anything. My sister, who had a knee replaced last spring, was equally frustrated at going from exercising regularly to not being able to at all, and she's now fuming about not being able to downhill ski.

Once you get used to doing something regularly, if you miss a few days, you really do notice it--longer than that and it can feel like you're starting all over again

FORT Newbie

I was at the taping of the premier show and am finding I am watching this season much differently than the others. Especially watching Jillian interact. She really is like that.

So true Tilden. At least your body has a memory so you still get back to where you were faster than someone who hasn't been working out at all. I hope you have a speedy recovery. It stinks not being able to work out!

Here is my story....

I have never exercised. Even as a kid I prefered a good book over playing outside. As I have gotten older I have put on more weight than I care to share and am considered overweight, although because of my height and shape, I don't look as heavy as I really am. When I turned 40 someone asked me to go with them to a "couch to 5K" 8-week course. I thought they were nuts. Aside from the Presidential Fitness Test in grade school I had never run anywhere, but I thought....what the heck? The first day we had to run a minute, then walk 30 seconds and do that over and over. I thought I would die...and I'm not kidding. I couldn't believe that in 8 weeks I would be running 3.1 miles- there was just no way. I ached. I couldn't breathe. My vision blurred. My knees screamed. My calves buckled. It was aweful. Long story short, in 8 weeks I did run 3.1 miles. It wasn't easy and I haven't run since, but I did it. I cannot fathom how these people can walk into the gym having never exercised and be expected to do what the trainers tell them to do and NOT die. I could barely run a minute and they exercise for 2 hours straight and get yelled at because they can't stay on the treadmill. I totally feel their pain. I really do. I feel there is something they aren't showing us because I would think they would all be passing out on day one. I give them props for even making it through the work-out.
    Cootie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lizardcat View Post
    I've found as I get older (late 40s now), it's my joints and tendons that are the real problem--I'm much more prone to pull my Achilles tendon, hurt my knee, etc., if I up my time or intensity too quickly. I know some contestants have really messed up their knees in the past, and I've never understood why they continue to make the "older" folks follow these workouts.
    I felt a lot worse when I was carrying around extra weight. I have maintained a 40-lb weight loss for nearly six years and my knee (Osgood-Schlatter disease as a kid, resulting in loss of fluid around my kneecap) hardly bothers me now, even after long runs. Have had problems with my IT band and plantar fascitis as a result of training but I prefer the sporadic pain over hypertension, high cholesterol, hardening of the arteries, and diabetes, which is what some of these TBL contestants are facing. Anyway, these people are checked out before they come on the show and we see contestants every season whose workouts are modified to accomodate for medical issues. In fact, it's a young guy - red-shirt team, can't recall his name - who is getting the modified workout. Most (I say "most" because there was an older fella on crutches at the challenge) of the older people are just fine. The quitter was a 20-something girl and the treadmill-divers were Nathan (25, I believe) and TC (early 30's, if I'm not mistaken).

I'm honestly not trying to be argumentative, but I'm mid-40's and I hate it when people suggest that I need to take it down a few notches because I'm old. I also took up running after 40 and I refuse to use my age as an excuse to not push hard. I have more drive and determination at this age than I did 15 years ago, and I see the same kind of attitude in many of the 40+ contestants.
    Last edited by AJane; 01-08-2013 at 10:15 PM.
    burntbrat and mesachick like this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast