+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Biggest Loser 2 hr show 1/7/13

FORT Fogey

Re: Biggest Loser 2 hr show 1/7/13

I missed how Bingo hurt his foot. Anyone know?

Here I go again. The first week of workouts should be lower key in order to built up strength and stamina; everyone knows this. Why is no one speaking up in the media about this? Ok, I'm done for this season. I promise. Well, I will try.

The two women left on Jillian's team know she doesn't like them. Not good. You have to love your trainer and want to do well for them; it is part of the dynamic.
    NCLurker likes this.

I only saw the second half, but it did take me by surprise--I was sure Jeff was going, since they didn't push his storyline as much as they had some of the others.

In theory, I like the red-line approach, but I think tonight was a good example of why it's not the best choice, either...it appeared to be just Nathan's bad luck that his big number was followed by such a small loss. It's totally normal to fluctuate while you're losing weight, especially for women. (Which is why Bob's "pound a day" mantra irritates me.) As one of the white team members pointed out, they lost a very strong player tonight rather than someone who had screwed up.

But I don't like the voting, either--especially all the fake waterworks the ensue. My ideal would be the trainer of the losing team has to pick who is eliminated.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by lizardcat View Post
    I only saw the second half, but it did take me by surprise--I was sure Jeff was going, since they didn't push his storyline as much as they had some of the others.

In theory, I like the red-line approach, but I think tonight was a good example of why it's not the best choice, either...it appeared to be just Nathan's bad luck that his big number was followed by such a small loss. It's totally normal to fluctuate while you're losing weight, especially for women. (Which is why Bob's "pound a day" mantra irritates me.) As one of the white team members pointed out, they lost a very strong player tonight rather than someone who had screwed up.

But I don't like the voting, either--especially all the fake waterworks the ensue. My ideal would be the trainer of the losing team has to pick who is eliminated.
    That would change the relationship between trainer and contestant in a very bad way. It would be like your therapist dropping you! They would be concerned about their relationship with the trainer more than concentrating on themselves.

FORT Fogey

Would it help if they made the red line thing cumulative? You know, how much of a percentage of weight a contestant has lost over the course of however many weeks everyone has been on the show, so that last night, it would have been the percentage of weight lost in the first two weeks total? Seems to me that would balance out those that had a big loss the first week followed by the typical smaller loss the second week with those who lost approximately equal amounts of weight both weeks.

I agree about the remaining members of Jillian's team. They have to know that she is probably unhappy about losing the two contestants who were the best suited to her particular style and being left with the two who aren't. For most people, that would be discouraging. If they have any self-esteem issues, which they appear to have, it's going to be that much more discouraging. Jillian needs to figure out a way to moderate her approach for the situation. Doesn't mean she has to go all soft but that she needs to push them to succeed in a different way, maybe by not waiting until someone starts crying before she shows that she can do something other than yell.

I wonder if it wouldn't be better if there weren't teams, so to speak, but if the coaches either rotated teams or worked with the contestants in different areas--like one doing roadwork, another being in charge of the pool or whatever--so that they'd all have a vested interest in seeing them all do as well as they could. That way, nobody would have his/her ego/reputation linked too tightly to particular contestants and all the contestants would experience different coaching styles and get a handle on what works best for them, which might be beneficial in the long run, when they're looking for gyms/instructors in the future. I kind of wish they'd do more in the way of trying all kinds of exercise options too, since people are more likely to stick to something they enjoy or that they find they're actually reasonably good at once they've tried it.
    GabbyG and Cootie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I wonder if it wouldn't be better if there weren't teams, so to speak, but if the coaches either rotated teams or worked with the contestants in different areas--like one doing roadwork, another being in charge of the pool or whatever--so that they'd all have a vested interest in seeing them all do as well as they could. .
    There's a pool there??!!

Oh yeah...that thing that they show in the opening and closing shots and that the people who can't do "real exercise" use (but they never show them doing it). OK BL trainers....what is so wrong with showing the contestants working out in the pool? It is such great exercise and they never seem to use it. I seem to remember ONE time in all 14 seasons that they did a work-out in the pool. What a waste! In the California heat I can't imagine how hot and humid it must be to be using those new outdoor training areas- at least the gym is air-conditioned. The pool would be a refreshing change I would think.

FORT Fogey

Great ideas, Tilden.

I like the idea of the outside exercise yards. They are on the track to moving exericse toward things people can do at home, sort of. They could put park benches out there and show them how to work their arms. That can be done at home to with a chair. I am growing very tired of seeing people fall off the tread mills.

I like the idea of showing someone's accumulative percentage count. I haven't thought that totally through but at first read sounds good. If both are below the yellow line that would be the way to decide who goes rather than voting.

If they didn't have teams I think the show itself might suffer in the entertaiment department.

I would like to see the format changed more than they have done this season. They are on the right track, though.

Since weight loss is 80% diet I would like to see 2 teams do different eating regimes. One primal (gluten free) and the other calorie counting. Studies have been done on this and I would like to see it in action. If there are 3 groups I have no clue what the third would be. Low fat is really just calorie counting and has lost favor with most professionals because fat is essential.

I switched back and forth between bachelor and BL. Not sure what to say about last night...oh wait, why did we have two two hour premiers?!?!?!
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

FORT Fan

I'm really not liking Jillian so far this season. Something about her comments and mannerisms strike me as fake. As though she's overdoing it strictly for the cameras sake. I get the feeling that I'm watching a soap opera actress reciting her lines, with way too much overacting going on. Bob and Dolvett are coming across much more natural.
    NCLurker and Shoepie like this.

Next week Jillian will have stopped her yelling and will begin to soften....that will be the storyline...guess I am becoming a real cynic.
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I missed how Bingo hurt his foot. Anyone know?

Here I go again. The first week of workouts should be lower key in order to built up strength and stamina; everyone knows this. Why is no one speaking up in the media about this? Ok, I'm done for this season. I promise. Well, I will try.
    Here is what I don't understand. I am an exercise nut...I do cardio and strength training at least 3x a week and I'm pretty strong for a female (I can bench more than my hubby ). BUT LET ME BE CLEAR...if I take a week off and go back to the gym hardcore I feel like my arms and legs will literally just fall off, and this is from someone who exercises regularly and is already strong. I still hurt sometimes after a hard workout and have to really increase my amino acid intake just to be able to freaking walk normally the next day.
    I just don't know how these folks go from completely sedentary lifestyles to these workouts without practically dying from the resulting pain and stress on the muscles and joints....they must just show us the "crazy" workouts in the editing and the contestants just walk or slowly keep moving the rest of the time because otherwise I can guarantee they could not do this!
    Shoepie likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast