+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Season 13 - Episode 8 - 02/21/12

Re: Season 13 - Episode 8 - 02/21/12

I have watched TBL since season two and been inspired, but the last couple of seasons it has become unwatchable.

I am actually appalled at the show that could not shut Ana Conda up when Daphne was speaking in the end. Alison Sweeney was also disappointing as she cut her short abruptly. I agree that Daphne brought it on herself in a way, but on the other hand, people like Ana Conda have the talent to bring out the worst in others. I find this season totally unpleasant and hope that ABC learns its lesson. I am also uneasy that they excluded and gave a hard time to the only two African Americans of the show. I will agree with serious anti-racist activists that there is too much white privilege, as evidenced on this show. I also despise white trash like Ana Conda and her brother who is not better than her.

To paraphrase Tim Wise, one of the greatest anti-racists currently in the world, the above may be ramblings of an angry white woman, but I've had enough with ABC. I want to see more diversity, and all I see is ugliness. Someone's got to put that show out of its misery and pull the plug after this season.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I agree it is unfortunate that the aqua team were the only black people this season, but TBL has had a lot of people of color of all shades in the past and some of them were quite beloved by both the audience and fellow contestants, so I don't think it is a general theme. Can't speak to what is going on in Ana Conda's heart, if she has one, though--I'd suspect the worst. I think she likely would have picked on anyone who came back though...she needs new targets all the time, as she gets rid of one she needs to find another.
    This season is awful, and the season with Vicki and Heba was awful, but last fall was ok, with the old, middle aged and young teams if you recall. There have been several seasons where the only thing we railed about here was the amount of self sacrifice that was going on! No more old people sacrificing themselves for the young, we said! Ah, for the good old days! Remember the season when our worst "villian" was a mom (Helen) who didn't sacrifice herself for her daughter (who clearly didn't want to be there anyway) and the mom went on to win? So although I can barely bear to watch Ana Conda's smirk I'm not giving up on the show yet.
    NCLurker and mesachick like this.

Helen was the one who could do it though, and she did spend part of the money on her daughter's cosmetic surgeries. Remember, the daughter did not get to lose all the weight, even by the time she had the cosmetic surgeries. So all in all, Helen's choice was positive for the daughter.

I insist that NBC should be ashamed of themselves, and should have even changed their rules half-way, which they probably do all the time anyway. There is enough deficit in the country in terms of equality and diversity, and I feel that even the show was very unfair to the only two African Americans who were treated more cruelly than anyone ever. BTW, I cannot remember now, but am I wrong that to date it's only white people who have won the show?
    Fanny Mare likes this.

FORT Fogey

Daphne never had a chance, so why not switch Conda and her brother? At least Chris didn't vote to send Conda home. Other than Chris, I don't care about any of them. I muted most of what they said. From watching Conda, one can learn about how toxic narcissists are.

FORT Fogey

The major flaw in Daphne's decision is that she made the red team stronger by giving them a big loser and taking on low number Conda. So she helped the people who eliminated her brother.

And her reason, that she wanted to keep Bob, was ridiculous. A red team member could have won and they certainly would not have wanted her on their team. Most would opt to keep things the same. Has she ever watched this show?

Another mystery is her indignation at the red team voting her brother off because they didn't like him as if that was wrong. Yes, they did, no argument there. It happens most every season. This is a social game, too.

I like Buddy and Cassandra.

If the black team water loaded then they are likely to win next week. Apparently at least one of them ate more carbs that week. If that is true, dumb move.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 02-22-2012 at 06:56 AM.

What I don't get was how was the black team so sure Daphne would not be the biggest loser? Obviously she decided she wanted out and went on to make sure that happened by gaining 2 pounds, but what if she had decided to stick it to them and actually lose weight? Chances are she would have beaten Chris in the weigh-in so it was a pretty risky move that could have seriously backfired on them. I am also really surprised that thay can't see through Conda and her manipulative ways. Isn't it obvious she is the instigator of all things that seem to go badly on the ranch? I also find it highly amusing that everyone was giving Daphne crap about not 'owning up' to being the one to switch the teams up and badmouthing her for lying, but not one of those black team members stood on that scale and proudly owned up to the fact that they threw the weigh in. They all stood up there and lied...and badly at that. Sadly they will probably lose a ton of weight next week and be the winners and we will be stuck with Conda yet another week.

And on another note...did anyone else find it odd that during the puzzle challenge they had Chism be the caller? He was the only guy they had and they were complaing that it was all women and the pieces were 200lbs, but then they take him completely out of the lifting part and have him give the directions. Don't they know men suck at directions??? Maybe this black team really isn't all that bright after all.
    zookeepertx likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    What I don't get was how was the black team so sure Daphne would not be the biggest loser? Obviously she decided she wanted out and went on to make sure that happened by gaining 2 pounds, but what if she had decided to stick it to them and actually lose weight? Chances are she would have beaten Chris in the weigh-in so it was a pretty risky move that could have seriously backfired on them. I am also really surprised that thay can't see through Conda and her manipulative ways. Isn't it obvious she is the instigator of all things that seem to go badly on the ranch? I also find it highly amusing that everyone was giving Daphne crap about not 'owning up' to being the one to switch the teams up and badmouthing her for lying, but not one of those black team members stood on that scale and proudly owned up to the fact that they threw the weigh in. They all stood up there and lied...and badly at that. Sadly they will probably lose a ton of weight next week and be the winners and we will be stuck with Conda yet another week.

And on another note...did anyone else find it odd that during the puzzle challenge they had Chism be the caller? He was the only guy they had and they were complaing that it was all women and the pieces were 200lbs, but then they take him completely out of the lifting part and have him give the directions. Don't they know men suck at directions??? Maybe this black team really isn't all that bright after all.
    Good point about the black team lying after coming down on Daphne for doing the same. I don't think either Daphne or her brother would have done well had they been included in the original cast. Their arrogant and ignorant behavior did not just come into play because they were late to the game. They both seem like anger drives their train a lot.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by sheila View Post
    I insist that NBC should be ashamed of themselves, and should have even changed their rules half-way, which they probably do all the time anyway. There is enough deficit in the country in terms of equality and diversity, and I feel that even the show was very unfair to the only two African Americans who were treated more cruelly than anyone ever. BTW, I cannot remember now, but am I wrong that to date it's only white people who have won the show?
    I think it's just as wrong to change the rules to benefit the aqua team because of their race. Conda and crew were awful to them but it didn't seem to have anything to do with race so why bring it into the equation?

Michelle who won season 6 is Hispanic (? not sure exactly what her race is but you could say non-white, surely) and they've had lots of (rather popular) non-white players in the past. In the seasons I've been watching I've never seen anyone voted out based on their race.

Despite what she said, I don't think Daphne's actions had anything to do with her wanting to keep Bob. She wanted to mess with Conda (and, in turn, her brother). Which she did. Personally, if I disliked someone so much, I'd make darn sure they were on the opposite team so that I didn't have to deal with them all the time.
    Last edited by CCL; 02-22-2012 at 09:05 AM.
    CrazyDutchWoman likes this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

To the Point

The contestants this season have shown themselves to be pretty nasty overall. I don't think they all are ALL the time, but some of them have shown themselves to be that way an incredible amount of time. You know, we hear all the time on this show about people who don't spend enough time thinking about themselves and taking care of themselves, however, with this group it seems that they think way too much about themselves to the point that it is toxic. They seem to just be giving lip service to taking responsibility for their lives. If they were truly taking responsibility their focus would be more on working hard themselves and doing the best they can possibly do, period! I realize it's a game and that game play will show itself, but I will be shocked if many of these people actually manage to keep off what they have lost.

I would not want to be a part of this season. I get the feeling that Bob and Doulvett (sp?) aren't overly fond of most of these people either. They know they are dealing with a whole lot of NASTY!

+ Reply to Thread