+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Season 13 - Episode 6 - 02/07/12

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Re: Season 13 - Episode 6 - 02/07/12

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I just don't see Conda being a narcissist.

Narcissism | Define Narcissism at Dictionary.com

That doesn't sound like Conda at all. Self centered and smug yes but not narcissistic.
    Agreed. When it comes to Conda, this fits the bill a little better : (Passive Aggressive Personality Disorder)
    (from wikipedia)
    The book Living with the Passive–Aggressive Man lists 11 responses that may help identify passive–aggressive behavior:[3]
    Ambiguity or speaking cryptically: a means of creating a feeling of insecurity in others or of disguising one's own insecurities.
    Intentional Inefficiency: Chronically being late and forgetting things, another way to exert control or to punish.
    Convenient forgetfulness: To win any argument with denial.
    Fear of competition
    Fear of dependency
    Fear of intimacy as a means to act out anger: the passive–aggressive often cannot trust. Because of this, they guard themselves against becoming intimately attached to someone.
    Making chaotic situations
    Making excuses for non-performance in work teams
    Obstructionism
    Procrastination
    Sulking
    Victimization response: instead of recognizing one's own weaknesses, tendency to blame others for own failures.
    In no way am I saying she definitely has a personality disorder. I don't know her, and I'm not qualified. But she sure fits some of those qualities. Girl needs to check herself, yo.

Actually, as a profiler, I can tell you that Ana Conda does indeed display many narcissistic symptoms. A narcissist can also be passive aggressive, although her sniper-behavior and bullying are anything but passive aggressive. Take a look at the symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder below. Of course, we cannot diagnose her, but she appears to be the worst kind of narcissist who cannot function and is destructive, hence of course her weight issues. Effective narcissistic leaders are usually productive narcissists, which, of course, Ana Conda is not:

Narcissistic personality disorder symptoms may include:

Believing that you're better than others

Fantasizing about power, success and attractiveness

Exaggerating your achievements or talents

Expecting constant praise and admiration

Believing that you're special and acting accordingly

Failing to recognize other people's emotions and feelings

Expecting others to go along with your ideas and plans

Taking advantage of others

Expressing disdain for those you feel are inferior

Being jealous of others

Believing that others are jealous of you

Trouble keeping healthy relationships

Setting unrealistic goals

Being easily hurt and rejected

Having a fragile self-esteem

Appearing as tough-minded or unemotional
    The current teams are generally unappealing, and if people had some sense, they would have thrown Ana Conda out. But they don't. What I would like to see is for the Black Team to get together and throw Ana Conda's brother out next, who is just as toxic, but he doesn't articulate it as well as his sister. Then Ana Conda has to go and, of course, Kim.
    mandmmom2 and Fanny Mare like this.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Ok, I don't want to overanalyze this to death but I do have something to add. She does appear to have tendencies to both of those personality flaws (both narcissistic and passive aggressive) though I won't call it out as a disorder because I'm not qualified... psychology minor, only, though I did find the time we spent on personality disorders really interesting, and studied quite hard.

Quote Originally Posted by sheila
    although her sniper-behavior and bullying are anything but passive aggressive.
    I do disagree with this statement though. Conda doesn't bully aggressively. She takes a passive approach by constantly tearing a person down to others (poisoning others thoughts), and during moments of confrontation, allows those people to voice her thoughts for her. She generally clams up in group confrontations unless she is forced to speak. It is a very passive aggressive way of bullying and sniping someone.

Quote Originally Posted by sheila View Post
    Actually, as a profiler, I can tell you that Ana Conda does indeed display many narcissistic symptoms. A narcissist can also be passive aggressive, although her sniper-behavior and bullying are anything but passive aggressive. Take a look at the symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder below. Of course, we cannot diagnose her, but she appears to be the worst kind of narcissist who cannot function and is destructive, hence of course her weight issues. Effective narcissistic leaders are usually productive narcissists, which, of course, Ana Conda is not:

The current teams are generally unappealing, and if people had some sense, they would have thrown Ana Conda out. But they don't. What I would like to see is for the Black Team to get together and throw Ana Conda's brother out next, who is just as toxic, but he doesn't articulate it as well as his sister. Then Ana Conda has to go and, of course, Kim.
    Sorry can't see it, although the comment Exaggerating your achievements sounds just like Adrian.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

We can agree to disagree. However, Adrian's exaggeration of achievements is due to other reasons. As for Ana Conda, we obviously cannot diagnose her, but when considering a diagnosis of Narcissistic Personality Disorder, one has to discern more than one symptom. Full-blown narcissists are very rare, and the rest of them fall under several categories. As far as I can see, Ana Conda fulfills several criteria. While I wouldn't call her an obsessive narcissist, she certainly displays too many and significant narcissistic traits to be ignored. Personally I pity anyone who had the misfortune to go to high school with her, they must be able to tell stories.....

I just think she's incredibly insecure and a bully. Most bullies are. Plus her smirk makes me want to punch the wall.
    mesachick likes this.

Of course. All narcissists are insecure and hide their extremely low self-esteem behind a fake "high" self-esteem that comes out as bullying. They are also capable of faking tears and all human emotions. At this point, I believe that NBC is treading dangerous territory because it may be perceived as promoter of bullies. In general, too many contestants this season are negative and plain horrid. It's disgusting if they are doing this for ratings, especially when it comes to weight loss which is a serious problem for too many people who are emptionally too fragile. So much negativity cannot be good for them, and it's not just the vibes.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Failing to recognize other people's emotions and feelings

Expecting others to go along with your ideas and plans

Taking advantage of others

Expressing disdain for those you feel are inferior

Being jealous of others

Believing that others are jealous of you

From the narcissism list... those seem to hold for her. Some of the others, not so much. I agree, she uses a passive aggressive approach---takes a sentence someone said, twists it, adds something they did NOT say (aka lies), and leaves it to fester. Rarely confronts someone directly and certainly not alone. And if they say, I did NOT say what you said, she says, are you calling me a liar???? And then does a big to do about how X called me a liar, what an awful person to call me that. I agree about her smirk.
    Sadly she's losing well enough she'll probably be safe even after individual time and will be on our screen for a long time.

FORT Fogey

Take away the dianosis of narcissism for a minute. A common thing we see everywhere, is the inability to understand that the actions of others are not about us. It doesn't serve us to rely on the actions of others to make us feel good. I wish there were a required course in high school that would outline some very basic wisdom along with conflict resolution. Kids need to learn this as early as possible.
    sweetpea and spockwhat like this.

With all due respect (I mean that ), nobody diagnosed Ana Conda with Narcissistic Personality Disorder. We simply cannot and most people are not qualified. However, narcissistic traits, or any other traits, are possible to observe. Personally I think she is a narcissist and possibly a destructive one. As to what causes narcissism, nature (as Freud said) or nurture, that's probably a chicken and the egg causality dilemma. The bottom line is that Ana Conda is a very negative and toxic person who should not be allowed in such an environment, especially seeing that most people on TBL are emotionally fragile and are trying to rebuilt their self-esteem and change their lives. It is also possible that she simply brings out the worst in people who would otherwise be much nicer. NBC needs to remove her, if they care about their viewers and contestants.

+ Reply to Thread