+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Marathon

Re: Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Thanks for summing that up! So, as we can see, John has about a 20 lb. lead, but as we know that can quickly vanish.... John and Antone started at just about exactly the same weight, but John has lost more, and he's even a bit shorter. I do think Antone is bulking up, building muscle...while John still looks like he has a gut with a lot of fat in it and a double chin to lose. That could be to his advantage.
    Did we ever figure out how many months they had to go after the marathon weigh in?
    I found a blog and posted the info up here and the normally the season runs 8 to 9 months and given that many of the contestants still look chunky at the marathon and that was done at the 5 month marker one hopes that there is 3 more months of filming before the finale.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Thanks! OK, so let's say 3 more months from the marathon weigh in...then to get to 50% over say, 12 weeks...

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    To reach 50% body wt lost they need to lose:

John - 217.5lbs thats 49.5 more pounds to lose
    Antone - 223.5lbs thats 69.5 more pounds to lose
    Ramon - 177.5lbs thats 61.5 more pounds to lose
    John will have to lose a little over 4 lbs/week, Antone nearly 6 lbs./week, and Ramon a little over 5 lbs./week. So looks like it is John's to lose at this point.... but really, given what they've often lost per week this doesn't seem too hard....more than what a "normal" person could do on a good program, but not as if they have to pull 9 or 10 every week to get to 50% . We may see people going over 50% off this time, which we haven't for a while.

Note though, that for Ramon to get to his 50% level he'd have to go well below the "normal" range for his height (see bearcata's earlier post), while the other two guys could do it by getting near the lower ends of the "normal" range for their heights.
    Last edited by PWS; 12-11-2011 at 01:24 AM.

FORT Fogey

I am fine with either John or Antonine winning. It doesn't look like Ramon has a chance and that is fine with me. I am more interested in seeing everyone else and how they did.

Antoine would be wise to reduce his weight training and do only enough to maintain the muscle he has now. If he moved to a low carb diet (as illustrated in The Primal Blueprint not Atkins) and focused on cardio that does not raise his heart rate above 55% he would take another fast slide down. He needs to change his routine to move things at a fast clip. Many leave and try to pack in crazy gym sessions to mimic the ranch and it never works.

I actually disagree with you last comment. Helen Phillips, the winner of the 7th season of TBL, chose not to return to her job and to go to the gym for crazy sessions for six hours a day! She would go for two hours in the mornings, afternoons, and evenings. She even told her friends that if they wished to socialize with her, they could join her at the gym. This is how she beat Tara who was clearly the favorite.

As for the estimations of ideal weights and charts, I have to disagree here as well: it is now accepted by exercise physiologists and endocrinologists that they are not a good rule of thumb. On top of that, Antone used to be an NFL player, and I know for a fact (from dating one of them in the past among other things-lol) that their muscle mass is enormous, so the usual "rules" do not apply to them. In an ideal world, what really matters is their body composition, and in Antone's case, it doesn't look as though it's that of the average man of his height and body type, so 223 lbs is an unrealistic weight for him. That said, of course, all of them are in to win a quarter of a million dollars, so they may resort to crazy things in order to achieve just that.

Another case at point: myself. I am 5'10" and, based on my own, unique muscle mass, my ideal weight is 180 lbs. When I am that weight I wear a size 8 or 10 which is totally normal for my body type and have a fat percentage of 22% which is normal for a woman. My BMI is obviously not a good way to go, nor are the charts. I know this objective fact about myself after having gone through the latest, most advanced, and intricate tests known to mankind. On the other hand, the charts place my maximum ideal weight at 170, and my doctors have said that if I ever fell below 180 they would be unhappy and if below 170, they would be worried.

Why does most say that John is likely to gain his weight back? What have I missed? Any insight, I'd appreciate! Thank you. <3

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jenniferboston1 View Post
    Why does most say that John is likely to gain his weight back? What have I missed? Any insight, I'd appreciate! Thank you. <3
    Bob said that. Only he knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Bob said that. Only he knows.
    Ah! Thanks!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jenniferboston1 View Post
    Ah! Thanks!
    I think the idea is that he's too focused on winning and not enough on changing his life and lifestyle. AKA he didn't open up enough to Bob about childhood trauma, etc.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Or maybe he's a little annoyed that John didn't hop on the Bob train and ended up working really well with Dolvett... and that Dolvett now has the likely winner.
    You have no idea how much I want John to prove Bob wrong here.
    JulieAnn likes this.

If John wins...oh my...Bob's ego will finally be deflated. He probably came into the season thinking he was going to finally have a winner since Jillian isn't around.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

+ Reply to Thread