+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: TBL exercise program?

TBL exercise program?

I have often wondered whether they have actually published anywhere the precise exercise program they do with the contestants. I mean everything, including intervals, hours of exercise and intensity, etc. Of course, I know the bits and pieces from the show or some books (like Ali's memoirs), but nothing really coherent.

Re: TBL exercise program?

Lots of Biggest Loser books out but no one has ever published the day to day specifics. I do know that each individual is tasked to burn so many calories per day and how much to eat and then it's up to the individuals to make sure they do the exercises. It maybe that the contestants sign waivers not to reveal the info. But really who is going to work out 4 to 6 hours a day unless they are at an extreme weight loss camp?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

well, that is what I have wondered for a while.... I would like to know how their day is mapped out. For example, morning cardio 1 hour, then 1 hour of weight training.... afternoon consists of 2 hours of mat exercises, lunges, exercise ball with some cardio..... evening of cardio and focus on arms/legs or abs...? Obviously they work out for hours.... but what do they do on down time? and how do they deal with the sore muscles post workout? any tips on stuff like that....

You are absolutely right that nobody in real life has 6-8 hours a day to train. It is also unrealistic to just do it without knowing what one's doing. There have been times in my life that I had the time and leisure and motivation to go to the gym for a long time, and yes, I hit long hours a couple of times. However, I did not see positive results, obviously because I did not have anyone behind me to tell me how exactly I should do it. I obviously believe in setting more realistic goals now, not least because people give up easily if they go out full throttle without really being super athletic beforehand.

My own frustration with the show is that their program obviously works because theirs is the only one that has surpassed all others in success stories. In other words, while for the rest of the population only 5-10% manages to keep the weight off, TBL has managed to achieve better results, faster, and arguably permanent results. They are also being studied by science and figure in academic peer-reviewed publications which speaks volumes. However, even though there is a whole industry of books, tapes, etc., they are very vague as to what exactly they do. While I agree that it is better for the general population, which does not have the resources of the show, to go slow, I don't see why the real thing shouldn't be available to people to choose. Besides, there is no real program where it is stated that you need so many intervals, so much percent (of whatever time) should be dedicated to slow, low-intensity exercise, etc. It's really all very vague.

If you read the disclaimers each individual contestant has a diet, and exercise program designed for them. I do know that with the body bugs that they wear they have access to a computer program where they input all their food and exercise for a day. I also know that each of the trainers gives them instructions as what to do when they are not doing group activities. I also know that the eliminated contestants have excess to the dietitians/nutritionists, trainers and doctors while the show is being filmed. How exactly each contestant chooses to follow all the instructions is up to them.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

While it's true we don't get specifics for each contestant, all they're doing is what has been repeated by the trainers over and over and over and OVER again...diet and exercise. They have individualized training programs with some high-tech perks (like the Body Bugg) because they're in an unusual environment, inaccessible to a "normal" person who is trying to lose weight.

Jillian Michaels is no longer part of the show but I like to think I'm pretty familiar with her training methods as I've read her books and use her DVDs. I have seen her use these methods on TBL, so if a personal trainer isn't in your budget, then similar success (though perhaps slower than TBL contestants) is achievable using the materials available for sale to the public.
    JulieAnn likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I may be totally wrong here, but I am under the impression that none of Jillian and Bob's tapes and books offer the same intensity as on the show. They are more "mainstream."

I think that if you work out with a trainer in a gym you work harder than if you do a DVD by a very strong tough trainer like Jillian. Her videos are tough but if I work with a trainer in a gym I work harder.

I think I remember reading an article by Tara where she talked about her days at the ranch. She said that after dinner she'd go for a walk while everyone else watched TV. She said she didn't eat complex carbs past 4 PM. She also said she went to bed early to get the necessary sleep so her body could recoup from the day's workouts and events and to help her be rested for the next day.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Quote Originally Posted by sheila View Post
    I may be totally wrong here, but I am under the impression that none of Jillian and Bob's tapes and books offer the same intensity as on the show. They are more "mainstream."
    Oh, hell no. Jillian's DVDs are brutal. Of course it's not as good as a trainer, but if you can't get to a gym or afford a trainer, and you have sufficient self-motivation, they are very effective.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Well, people, wanna hear about my very own brutal TBL 8-hour workout today? My professional organizer and I worked today at home for 5 hours non-stop! Then I rested an hour, continued the organizing for another two hours myself, and finally took my dog for an hour-long walk! Whoever knows Australian Shepheds definitely understands how worn out I am right now! lol

This is OBVIOUSLY not my usual day every day...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast